Slightly milky sterndrive leg oil!

Sianna

Visit site
Just an update on this old post…..

The leg was removed and pressure vacuum tested with no fault found (by a trusted marine engineer).

It was refilled with oil and reinstalled.

I’m going to change the oil in a few days so wish me luck!!

Ps. I did loose a prop hub last year so I’m hoping that there was an intermittent seal issue that caused the (potential) water ingress that sorted itself out.
I really do hope you are lucky with an intermittent seal issue that sorts itself out, more likely next time you lift it out, the oil will be milky again.

Momac

Visit site
Given the picture from last time it would be no surprise if some mayonnaise was present , But hopefully the majority of fluid to emerge will be more like oil.

kennyh

Visit site
Looks like (as predicted) that the seals do need replaced.

Q: How simple is that job? One that a competent DIY’er could do? Can it be done in-situ or do I need to remove the drive and do on the bench?

I’ve done the vast majority of engine services myself and a (car) engine rebuild in the past. But I’ve not done a VP gear casing strip / rebuild before.

I’d welcome the collective guidance!

simonfraser

Visit site
i would not recommend you changed the seal on a drive without guidance / experience

may be other seals to be done at the same time ;)

yeh, should have been done on the bench when it was off first time ...

Last edited:

Thalassa76

Visit site
Looks like (as predicted) that the seals do need replaced.

Q: How simple is that job? One that a competent DIY’er could do? Can it be done in-situ or do I need to remove the drive and do on the bench?

I’ve done the vast majority of engine services myself and a (car) engine rebuild in the past. But I’ve not done a VP gear casing strip / rebuild before.

I’d welcome the collective guidance!
Just had our seals replaced, this was done with the leg in place

oldgit

Visit site
"i would not recommend you changed the seal on a drive without guidance / experience
may be other seals to be done at the same time ;)
yeh, should have been done on the bench when it was off first time ..." (y)

Imperative properly done the first time.

Unlike a car where you or somebody else can just jack the car up , its boat out of the water again, invariably a pain especially at this this time of the year, delays with yards busy putting folks back in the water.
You could do it in situ yourself if its just the seal(s) all of them ? but might run into trouble if wear on the shaft and that needs to be replaced.
................and its all valuable boating time being lost.

Sianna

Visit site
Ours was completed, obviously out of the water 🤣 with the leg still on the boat. Everything can be done by yourself but it wasn't an expensive job and having an engineer do it means there is some come back should it not work ............

jcwads

Visit site
The danger of this forum is that you’ve posted your concern and lots of people have said it’s a big problem or it’s going to be expensive. Even you have said do I need a strip / rebuild.

Chill for one moment. This is way too intense. Especially a certain forum member who frequents this type of post and sows the seeds of doom. Milky drive oil is not uncommon, especially post prop incidents etc.

If you have regularly serviced this boat and /or know it has been, then as Volvo Paul suggests - change the seals. Problem solved. Change your props whilst your at it as if you have spun your hubs it’s just better to get new and not refurb.

If you’d been running your boat season after season with no due care and attention then, yes, you’re probably in for some big money issues. But really, Change the seals, new props, service as required as per VP spec and off you go.