Size Matters

philhynes

Visit site
Hi all,
I'm new to this forum, and new to boating as well. I have a question that your wisdom and experience may be able to help me with.

I'm planning on moving from Essex to Exeter around springtime next year to finish off my commercial pilot training. What I'd love to do is buy a liveaboard boat and sail it from the River Lea via the Regents Canal, Thames, Kennet & Avon, Bristol Channel and around Lands End into the Exeter Ship Canal. Obviously, this puts a LOT of limitations on what type of vessel I could use, especially being on a bit of a budget. I have done some fairly extensive research into this so far and found that size-wise one of the best boats would be a Birchwood 33 GT (The one with the folding windscreens for extra bridge clearance)

My question is, how accurate would you say the waterways dimensions are? According to the inland waterways association the Birchwood would "just about" fit all the way. The tightest dimensions being water draft and air draft (headroom). The reason I ask is that if people have thrown shopping trolleys into the water etc. it might make things difficult. Also, would any of you recommend any other boats for the job? If I could dismantle the wheel house on a standard 33 that could also be an option. Anyone got any experience/thoughts about that?

Cheers, Phil.

Tranona

Visit site
Welcome to the forum

It is the K&A that is the big problem as you know and a couple of folks here have reported trying with small sailing boats with 1m draft having difficulties.

Not sure I would do it that way anyway, nor the more sensible way along the south coast. Just put it on a truck - will likely cost less than the fuel and take 2 days rather than several weeks.

Sandy

duckduckgo.com
Hello Phil

Have you checked out that living aboard is still allowed on the Exeter Ship Canal? I've heard that the council is "discouraging" this practice.

It might be easier to come along the English Channel rather than get to Bristol and then come round Lands End, there are very few ports to run and hide on the north Cornish coast should the weather turn. Having Googled the Birchwood I'd seriously reconsider the decision. Buy a boat locally!

Anyway good luck with the move to Exeter and enjoy your time with a well know airline I look forward to hearing your dulcet tones as I fly to Scotland.

Last edited:

philhynes

Visit site
Hi Tranona / Sandy,
Many thanks for your replies. I have always had a little dream of sailing along the route I mentioned, stopping at pubs etc. along the way. I was planning to spend maybe a month or so on the trip down there itself as a holiday after my ground school has finished. I'm lucky enough to have family based in Cullompton that I can stay with, but it would still be nice to have nights on the boat especially in summer so that solves the liveaboard issue with Exeter council. I'm just worried that I'll get half way there, then get beached or stuck under a low bridge! I'm quite handy with tools so I wouldn't be adverse to making some adjustments to a boat, but it would be good if it was suitable in the first place. With regards to the "dulcet tones" hopefully you'll never hear me as I'm hoping to fly fixed wing air ambulance lol. Thanks again for your replies guys, all hints much appreciated.

Tranona

Visit site
Any thoughts on one of the Broom models? I get confused with all the variants. Whether they are sea-going or not.

depends on which models you are looking at. The smaller older ones are inland mainly - not surprising as Broom is a Broads based builder. While the larger sizes have been aimed at the seagoing market, they are too big for any canal work.

The reality is that few boats are suitable for inland waterways, sea and living on - the requirements for each are just to contradictory to fit in one boat.

DRA

Visit site
If it helps we did the K&A earlier this year in our small Dutch Barge, Length 41 ft, Beam 10 ft, draught 1m, air draft 7ft 4 ins. No issues with grounding and at worst about 4 inches clearance at bridges. We left from Weybridge, and at the end turned right and are now onto Gloucester & Sharpness Canal. Enjoyable journey with no problems. Left the boat 3 times for a week or so moored on the towpath and it was fine. D

philhynes

Visit site
Hi DRA/ip485,
Thanks for your comments. I do like the look of the Dutch Barges, perhaps a little out of my price range though. Sounds like a great trip you did.

Potentially Aviation South West, yes. Looking forward to it a lot!

I had a list of all the minimum water depths/headrooms somewhere saved. Will see if I can dig it out and post to here, see what you guys reckon.

philhynes

Visit site
Birchwood 33 GT Specs
Length 10.20m (33'6")
LWL 9.75m (32'0")
Beam 3.40m (11'2")
Draft Min 0.91m (3'0")
Headroom 1.87m (6'2")

River Lee
length (River Lee): 85' 4" (26.0 metres) - Old Ford Lock
beam (River Lee): 16' 1" (4.9 metres) - Hardmead Lock
headroom (River Lee): 7' 8" (2.33 metres) - Kings Weir Bridge
draught (River Lee): 5' 11" (1.8 metres) - cill of Hardmead Lock

Regents Canal
length: 74' 0" (22.56 metres) - Hampstead Road Lock (No 1)
beam: 14' 6" (14.42 metres) - Hawley Lock (No 2)
headroom: 9' 2" (2.79 metres) - Mile End Road Bridge
draught: 4' 10" (1.48 metres) - cill of Johnsons Lock (No 10)

Kennet & Avon
length: 70' 10" (21.6 metres) - Lock 100 (Sulhamstead)
beam: 13' 8" (4.2 metres) - Lock 41 (Boto X Lock on the Caen Hill Flight)
height: 7' 10" (2.4 metres) - Bridge 83 (Hungerford Station Road)
draught: 4' 1" (1.24 metres) - cill of Lock 44 (Sir Hugh Stockwell Lock on the Caen Hill Flight)

Figures obtained from Inland Waterways. As you can see, it seems OK (Based on that boat or similar), but I'm still not sure because of stuff in the water and/or camber of the bridges etc.