Visit site
JESTER AZORES CHALLENGE 2016 - SITREP No. FIFTEEN

011750AJune

And thick and fast they came at last,
And more, and more, and more,
All hopping through the frothy waves,
And scrambling to the shore.
[For a cold beer and a warm shower?]

(I’ve kept this poem for one more day so that I can explain that I did not write it! It is from The Walrus and the Carpenter by Lewis Carroll in his book Through the Looking-Glass, published in December 1871.)

From Duncan in Praia: Depending on which time zone you are using BST, (most) UTF/French, Azores, anyway about lunchtime Oui Oui and Ella Trout 3 bounded into the marina with 30K [?] on their transoms. After much hauling of lines between firm hand shakes and congratulation the two new arrivals were secured and for some the party well and truly kicked off. After dark the writer and wife Maura joined for dinner with the expanding Jester family now including Julian in Bula still with high voltage running through his 'wire to the moon', Roger, Master Mariner of Ella Trout 3, Claude the charismatic raconteur of Oui Oui and a slightly bemused Nancy Maxwell wife of Glen. (See below). All our thought are with those still out there and it is good to see the wind here down to a respectable F4 this morning. If there was a general theme that came out of the rather raucous evening it was "NEVER AGAIN" so I will be the only entrant to Jester next time it seems???!!

New arrivals? There was much talk of Denis in Lizzy G joining us to make an even wider eclectic mix of characters at the table. (See below under Arrivals.) Let's hope he is here soon as we need his writing skills as your present correspondent departs for the real world tomorrow. Congrats and fair winds to all still going. Duncan.

Pedro of the marina sent this message via Eric: Hi Len, I've just arrived to the marina. Ella Trout and Oui Oui are securely sheltered in pontoon D. Ella Trout is by the bow of my boat. Knocked there but didn't got any reply. Now I must go to the clinic, later will try again. Duncan may be the guy that was yesterday on Julien's boat but I was rude and didn't introduce myself to him. Will apologize next time I see him. Is there anyone else out there? Best regards, Pedro

Bonsoir, Sometime the arrival have something like crisis management; not idealic!
Eric

ARRIVALS - 4

Julien Pipat in Bula at 301030AMay

Roger Fitzgerald in Ella Trout at 311005AMay

Claude van Martyn in Oui Oui at 211220AMay

Denis Gorman in Lizzie-G at 011300AJune. Message received from Julien via Andy at 011530AJune. "Lizzie G has arrived.” Great to hear that, and well done Denis. The party is getting bigger. Andy.

Gentlemen, I've just had a phone call from the 'Jolly Jesters'. Denis arrived at 1300 BST today. They all seem to be having a good time; Sarah Carton

Another great and welcome surprise as we had not heard from Denis since he was south of Lands End shortly after the start. BRAVO ZULU DENIS - another chapter for THE BOOK!?

INDIVIDUAL REPORTS from those at sea - 4

Glen Maxwell in Tao Zou. Nancy reported Glen has lost self steering and the top two panels of his junk sail. He is however still battling on and expected at the end of the week. 1330A today, 40º 19’N; 24º 42’W co 240º.

Basil Panakis in Jaba at 011212AJune. 40º.52454N; 22º.14557W. Routine position report. Jaba and skipper are fine.

Doug Pingel in Jekeeda. Stop press from Duncan in Praia this morning, ‘Got Jekeeda on AIS NW of Punta Delgada. East of Terceira. (Maybe looking for shelter to repair his genoa?). 1200A today, 38º 22’N; 24º 59’W co 260º.

Trevor Leek in Jester at 1200A today 50º 3’N; 20º 59’W co 230º.

TODAY’s NIL REPORTS - 4

Olivier Delebecque in Godot

Peter Orban in Tisza

Steve Hickey in Newlyn Maid

Tim Luke in Medusa

PAUSED - 2

Peter Crawley in Sheldro in Torquay.

Roy Tall in Spirit of Venus in Southampton

RETIREMENTS - 10

Bill Churchouse in Belgean: returned to Plymouth, reason not known

Ertan Beskardes in Lokum returned in good order to Falmouth.

Colin Reid in Tui returned in good order to Falmouth.

Guy Willing in Blue Grass returned in good order to Falmouth.

Tony Head in Triple Venture returned in good order to Plymouth.

Howard Chivers in Sandpiper returned in good order to Plymouth.

Duncan Sclare in Freebird: returned in good order to Baltimore.

Thom d’Arcy in Fathom returned in good order to Ria de Caedeira.

Jonathan Hopper in Francesca returned in good order to Plymouth.

Graham Humphreys in Tenacious returned in good order to ‘Blighty’.

Moons’ls!

Ewen