Single-handed mooring in the Med

Micaro

Visit site
Further to the post below......you're in the Med (first time), singlehanded, prefer to moor bows-to as your boat doesn't like going backwards, and you'd prefer a bit of privacy in the cockpit. Usually there's a pick-up line on the quay/pontoon to use as your stern line. Any patent ideas on getting bow line ashore, controlling throttle, picking up stern line from quay simultaneously?

<hr width=100% size=1>

Sybarite

Visit site
My first approach would be to temporarily tie up to a boat alongside.

If none, then you need a long boat hook both to fend off and to pick up the stern line. Make sure that it not attched too tight because you need to have enough slack to be able to hop off to secure your bow lines.

Solution one though is much handier.

Going stern first however means that you are beside the controls and within reach of the pendille. I find that if you go well away from the birth before reversing you have time to get it lined up taking account of windage etc. If you really want to be precise you can drop a buoyed anchor to keep the bow where it should be. I have never done this and don't think that I would.

John

<hr width=100% size=1>

Twister_Ken

'ang on a mo, I'll just take some bearings
Visit site
Anchor by the stern some way from quay. Then motor in, bows first, against the anchor. You should be able to get to the point where your are just a step away from the quay, using the anchor as a brake. Then knock it into neutral, quickly walk forward, and hop ashore with a line.

A) wouldn't like to do it in a crosswind
B) put out a bow fender!
C) pray the anchor doesn't let go when you are making your final approach
D) or pick a spot between other occupied boats, and ask for their help

<hr width=100% size=1>

Visit site
Have done this many times and would definitely agree that picking a spot with preferably boats either side or at worst just one other boat, then a short midship breast line will keep you steady giving time to sort out the rest. If no other yachts are around I have alway gone alongside so you are in reach of the controls, then made fast a single bowline on the side lying on the quay and then picked up the stern line and winched myself out. As with all single handed manouveres the key is planning, preparation, taking your time and not being too proud to abort and try again if things aren't going well rather than trying to make the best of a messed up situation.

<hr width=100% size=1>

jimi

Visit site
Problem might be when you've got to go in bows to to avoid rocks etc jutting out. If you were to use the stern anchor I'd make sure it had a tripping line as there would be a real risk snagging the lazy lines.

<hr width=100% size=1>

sailbadthesinner

Visit site
i have only encountered lazy lines in Spain
they are like hens teeth in Greece and Turkey
normaaly tend to bows to in lot of eastern med as there is a often rocks up against the qusy that can cause your rudder damage if swell or wash gets up.

<hr width=100% size=1><font color=red>I can't walk on water, but I do run on Guinness</font color=red>

jimi

Visit site
I reckon in the last couple of years there has been an increasing tendency for places in Turkey or Greece have tended to have lazy lines.

<hr width=100% size=1>

sailbadthesinner

Visit site
i stand corrected. it is two years since i went to greece.
however i had never come across them, except at the yacht charter bases.
i also cruise the less solubrious parts /forums/images/icons/smile.gif than aman of your tastes.

<hr width=100% size=1><font color=red>I can't walk on water, but I do run on Guinness</font color=red>

zefender

Visit site
Might sound obvious but, if in Med, I'd be inclined to ensure I moored in early afternoon before the late afternoon/early evening breeze set in. That way, there's no wind to compromise a gentle walk up and down the deck! I have also seen someone go in stern to, pick up the lazyline from the stern when about a boat length out, attach it (to the wrong side, if you're with me) and then turn around and go back to the quay bows to!
How about catching hold of the lazyline reversing in, tie a line to it on a loop/shackle, let it out, turn around and then gather up the line once the bows face the quay and attach the lazy line to the stern cleat, letting more out as distance demands? You could remain in forward gear on tick over to cope with securing the bow lines to the quay. Still not sure I'd want to do it in any wind though!

I suspect that where there is a lazyline there will be people to help - where there are no lazy lines, I'd go in with a kedge over the stern, using it as a brake. Actually, assuming no other boat to hang on to on the way in, I think I'd forget a bit of privacy and go in stern to!

<hr width=100% size=1>

bryantee

lefkas Greece (Summer)Cochin india(Winter)
Visit site
I come in to my berth bows to.between other yachts.fendered both sides, real s-l-ow .into neutral .stop the boat and depending on the wind direction,put a loop on the upwind boat to hold me on his lazy line.walk forward with boat hook ,pick up upwind bow line and fish lazy line up on downwind side walk to stern and tie off..then fix other bow and and lazy line.shut off engine .remove temporary loop.open amstel.

<hr width=100% size=1>

polarity

Visit site
all much easier if you can come in upwind...
Slow up to the dock, letting her carry her way in neutral, step off the bow, hold her steady and tie up. - sort out the stern lines later.
I agree, with wind on the beam - first rest gently and well fendered against the boat to leeward. - Helps to explain this first if the boat is occupied!
The only time I had trouble in 4000 miles of single handing Barcelona/Poland was in Danemark where you bows in with stern lines to pilings - I was in a berh for a 60ft yacht in my 32ft Nantucket Clipper, with a strong beam wind.. tie up first then motor to the other end of the berth!
Dont forget if you are lucky enough to have a Ketch or a Yawl you can use the mizzen as a bowthruster (having discovered this I always came in with the mizzen up). I have never tried improvising a mizzen on a sloop, but it might work.

PS "helpfull" people on the dock can be a PITA (Pain In The), if you already have a good system - decline politely or you may regret it!

<hr width=100% size=1>Paul
<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.polarity2.com/Clipper.htm>http://www.polarity2.com/Clipper.htm</A>

Mr Cassandra

Visit site
Hi
all nice replys below , and most of them will work but it a bit like people telling you how D Beckam crosses a ball easy in print a lot harder in real time .Ive been in the Med for 5 years most of the time dont even think abourt it then all of a sudden you are in the s*** usually when there is a crowd looking on all the best ,cheers bob t

<hr width=100% size=1>boss1

tcm

Visit site
Re: anchors warning

Ken's way would be extremely impressive. However, if there is a bowline in the marina, i wd not recommend putting down anchor at all, as yerl need a diver to untangle if it gets caught.

Much easier I reckon would be to tie alongside an existing boat. If there isn't one, then moor alongside, then take the lazy line/pendule/pendile out onece bows secure.

Single handed. the way i would do it would be to radio into the marina for some help for a start. Then, fender up. Then choose a slot wide enought for just one boat. Steer into the wind and into the slot. Then (and this is the important bit) - stop the boat- no movement relative to neighbour. Lots of people try and do lines with engine doing things, or with boat still moving in or out. Then depending on whether blown of or on quay, set lines to shore or pick up lazy line respectively.

If its a regular berth, and a day sail, then the trick is to hook up the lazy lines onto the fenders of the neighbours before leaving- just a loop so they will drop them if they go out, which they never do, cos it's the med innit. That way you already get hold of the rear line before anywhere near the quay. Mark the exact spot with tape so you can make off the slack line accurately at the stern and switch the engine off as you move forward. Then proceed with ken's smug walking to the front gambit, certain that the boat will stop just so.

<hr width=100% size=1>