Single-handed Insurance

Jonny A

Visit site
My current insurance policy only covers single-handed sailing up to 24 hours at a time. It's up for renewal, and I've asked my broker if they can offer a policy that extends this limit, e.g. 48 hours or longer. Their reply is that it isn't possible as no insurance company offers more than 24 hours.

Does anyone out there have insurance beyond 24 hours, and if so who with?

Thanks.

dunedin

Visit site
Not me, 18 hours on my policy. But happy with that for UK coastal sailing (don't like idea of meeting boats with solo skipper below asleep!).

Might help if you explain what cruising waters you are seeking longer solo hours for. Might be easier to get for a specific trip across waters known to gave few hazards or other vessels.
Also what other aids to safety you would be using - eg AIS transceiver, radar alarm, radar detector etc

Jonny A

Visit site
I'm looking to cover UK coastal waters and northern France, possibly Biscay down to Coruna if the forecast is good and I'm feeling brave.

I have wind vane and electric steering, AIS, liferaft and two forms of GPS navigation.

dunedin

Visit site
I'm looking to cover UK coastal waters and northern France, possibly Biscay down to Coruna if the forecast is good and I'm feeling brave.

I have wind vane and electric steering, AIS, liferaft and two forms of GPS navigation.
The Pantaenius suggestion is a good one (though there has been some hints that they may be more risk averse with new customers vs existing ones). But perhaps worth getting a policy with standard singlehanded cover for most sailing, but an agreed commitment to extend for a Biscay crossing if needed? This could possible be cheaper.

matt1

Visit site
As others said, pantaenius but Stoneways have also arranged very specific and good singlehanded cover for me in the past

PhillM

Visit site
Another happy customer. They even agreed a second policy after I had an extended single handed passage go, wrong, leading to a claim. I was delighted with their claim handling too.

This time its 3rd party only but that’s only because my boat doesn’t reach their minimum value for fully comp. I’m sure if I had a more valuable boat they would offer me fully comp

Jonny A

Visit site
Thanks for all the Pants suggestions, which lead to a follow-up question, can anyone suggest an inexpensive (hah!) valuation surveyor in or around Poole?

14K478

Visit site
Only moderate rapture with Pants. Never had a claim but they can be a right royal pain in the neck, with clearly inexperienced underwriters (I was once a London market underwriter, including yachts, so I do think I know a bit about this).

Sandy

duckduckgo.com
Only moderate rapture with Pants. Never had a claim but they can be a right royal pain in the neck, with clearly inexperienced underwriters (I was once a London market underwriter, including yachts, so I do think I know a bit about this).
Do expand. It is the first I have heard about them being 'a pain in the neck'.