Sikkens wood coatings.

longjohnsilver

Visit site
Having tried all sorts of alternatives to varnish, which outdoors does not seem practical, including Deks Olje I have found the most effctive by way of longevity and looks to be Sikkens Cetol, starting off with several coats of HLS and finishing with Filter 7.

When I used Deks Olje i was having to recover 3 or 4 times per season. Yesterday afternoon I touched up ares ready for the winter with Sikkens, which after 6 months wre only just beginning to look as though they needed doing.

Does anyone else use Sikkens or what other products have you used that you consider to be effective?

G

I try to avoid wood on the boat. It looks nice but I don't like the work involved.

On the other hand my wife used Sikkens on the house with great results having chosen it on the basis that my brother (a builder) recommended it above all others for longevity.

Word of warning. She skimped on the sealer / undercoat for one of the French windows (it was a replacement after the original one had warped). After five years the properly done bits are still looking fine but the one she cheated on has started to peel a bit.

I expect her ladyship will be re-doing all of the external woodwork next Spring - hopefully at about the same time as I will be busy getting the boat ready for the Summer season.

Best regards :eek:)

Ian D

JerryHawkins

Visit site
I have seen the results of HLS + Filter7 on a Fisher 37 in my marina. Looks fantastic and speaking to the owner, he wouldn't use anything else now. I plan to use it on my Fisher 25.

Regards,

Jerry

RobertMartin

Visit site
I live in ozz, lots of UV . I use Sikkens Marine, 3 coats on bare wood, fist one thinned and then 6 or so coats of varnish. I have never had any problems. I re-vanish once a year, not because it needs it, but to stop it needing it. I have never had any problem. I thinks its one of the best out there..

Plum

Visit site
I use the same treatment as you and have been very please with the result over many years of use on both iroko and pine. However, I have found that the "pine" colour works best on all the hardwoods as this colour has the last darkening effect.

Neal

Visit site
I agree, but.....

let's not kid ourselves that it looks anywhere near as good as umpteen coats of immaculately applied, and carefully maintained, traditional varnish.

I've used Pine coloured Sikkens for the last two seasons on my old, very wooden, gaffer, and it is a fantastic product (certainly looks bettter than peeling varinish - which mine always ended up doing). I'm delighted with it.

Like anything to do with our boats, we've got to decide on which compromise is right for us.

brian_neale

Visit site
Re: I agree, but.....

I became bored with re-oiling the teak (not a lot - just enough to look pretty) on my little gaffer. I used Danish oil, as per the original coating used by the builder. Looked good when new, which was about every two months when I had to refresh it...

I scraped it all down a couple of years back and used Burgess Woodsealer. Goes on easily, brushes wash in water, and gives a lasting finish - good for the season. Downside is that it is a little orange-toned when fresh, and it is not very abrasion-resistant (e.g. where the fenders rub the bulwark rail).