Sikiflex 291..Prolonging the tube life??

Matata

Visit site
I've just bought a tube of it and at the moment only need a quick squirt of it. Over the next couple of months i'll be needing the rest. Any tips of how to prolong its tube life are greatly appreciated?? Nik

flipper

Visit site
I unscrew the nozzle, put a bit of plastic, like an old glove over the thread then screw the nozzle back on. Unscrew and clean out the nozzle with a thin screwdriver next time you need it. Worked so far.

Patrick

Matata

Visit site
Thanks for that. If I put it in the fridge (Dont ask) how long can I reasonably expect it to stay good? Nik

AliM

Visit site
We put it in the freezer, having sealed it as above. It lasted a few months, and only needed a few hours to defrost. In fact, I don't think it deteriorated at all while in the freezer. It's worth trying, anyway.

status

Visit site
I also seal the plunger end with clingfilm and duct tape, as have had a couple of tubes where the plunger has glued solid so even though the nozzle was clear the plunger would not push any out.

Billjratt

Visit site
Ditto the plastic over the screw opening then refit the (empty) nozzle.
I had to dig through about 1/2 inch of cured stuff to get it to flow yesterday after a month or so .

nimbusgb

www.umfundi.com
The shelf-life once opened is quite honestly pathetic and I've stopped using the stuff. Well sealed and keep in freezer is your best bet. That's what I did in the past. I use CT-1 now http://www.ct1ltd.com available in many chandlers.

+1

A completely unopened tube of it stored in a cool(ish) dark cupboard didn't last from August 2010 to May this year. the rear 20% ( plunger end not the nozzle ) of it had hardened.

I cut the tube open to extract the few teaspoonfuls I needed and then threw the rest out.

snowleopard

Visit site
A completely unopened tube of it stored in a cool(ish) dark cupboard didn't last from August 2010 to May this year. the rear 20% ( plunger end not the nozzle ) of it had hardened.

Som PU sealant I have bought recently has the plunger end sealed with a metal cap and inside a bag of silica gel. I guess moisture is the main offender when it goes hard.

SvenH

Visit site
I have uses this kind of stuff in sausage instead of tube. As it turns out these are much easier to clean out than tubes. The far end remains closed and the open end can be folded open to release the clog.