signal flare gun and the law

margo

Visit site
we bought a new flare gun in Holland and we have a weapon permit for it. Now we have to bring it with us to our boat in the UK/ Shetlands and Iceland.
Does anybody know the rules on flare guns in the UK and in iceland?

prv

Visit site
To be clear, are you (and your boat) British or Dutch? I get the impression maybe the latter.

A British person on a British boat would need a firearms certificate for a flare gun, but I don't know what the situation is for a Dutch person on a Dutch boat visiting the UK. It would be logical for your Dutch permit to be acceptable - there must be any number of visiting vessels with such items on board - and the odds of trouble seem low, but I'm afraid I'm only guessing.

EDIT: This document has some more information: https://basc.org.uk/wp-content/plugins/download-monitor/download.php?id=101 . Although I'm not sure it's entirely helpful since it doesn't consider flare guns specifically.

Pete

Last edited:

GrahamM376

Visit site
Read page 48 - https://www.gov.uk/government/uploa...99/Guidance_on_Firearms_Licensing_Law_v13.pdf

Ship and hovercraft equipment
6.51 No certificate is necessary to authorise the possession of firearms and ammunition subject
to section 1 of the 1968 Act on board ship as part of the ship’s equipment (section 13(1)(a)
of the 1968 Act). A certificate is, however, required to acquire. Under section 13(1)(c) of the
1968 Act a police officer may issue a permit (form 115) authorising the removal of a firearm
to which section 1 of the 1968 Act applies (but not ammunition), to or from a ship for any
purpose specified in the permit. A permit granted by a police officer does not permit the
possession of prohibited weapons subject to section 5 of the 1968 Act.
6.52 Although there is no legal definition of what constitutes a “ship” within the 1968 Act, in the
absence of a court ruling this effectively means a vessel designed to be ocean-going rather

Seven Spades

Visit site
If you're British registered I believe you will need a secure steel box attached to the boat to prevent removal and a firearms certificate for a Verey Pistol. I am not sure of the regulations if you are registered overseas but I suspect that there is more than one area of legislation that covers this and they are likely to conflict. The chances of it being seized if declared is high even if legal simply because of the confusion over the rules.

Interestingly a farmer had an Orion Verey Pistol without a licence and was acquitted because it was found not to be a firearm.

http://www.newmarketjournal.co.uk/n...are-gun-does-not-need-licence-court-1-3143288

Last edited:

margo

Visit site
We do have the necessary bolted box in the boat. The boat being dutch territory the dutch wapon permit will cover for the flare gun on board, i think. To get it through customs could pose problems, I fear.

margo

Visit site
This document is really good, thank you! Yeh, we are dutch and on the boat it is dutch territory. But i try to get it there(based in lerwick) without trouble.

margo

Visit site
You get it from the police- at least in Holland- for € 40 and it shows to other countries you are a respectable person and have a valid license for a specific arm like a flare gun.

Mariner69

Visit site
We do have the necessary bolted box in the boat. The boat being dutch territory the dutch wapon permit will cover for the flare gun on board, i think. To get it through customs could pose problems, I fear.

To be pedantic, the yacht is not Dutch territory but as a merchant vessel it is obliged to meet the requirements of the place it is visiting.

Warships do carry their territory with them so they need diplomatic clearances before they can visit any where. Pedant mode off!

The other answers here cover the situation.