shroud covers

ChrisL

Visit site
What is the wisdom on the white plastic covers put on the bottom 6ft of shrouds? Mine on a newly aquired 13 yr old boat are beginning to fall to bits & reveal a build up of hard crud underneath. Looks like it is encouraging deterioration of the Ssteel.
Should I rip them all off or are they fulfilling a vital role that I'm missing?

Thankyou

Chris

<hr width=100% size=1>

ccscott49

Visit site
They are meant to protect your legs and sheets from snagging, I've never used them and my legs are fine, just tape the split pins and leave the rest exposed.

<hr width=100% size=1>

oldsaltoz

Visit site
G'day and welcome to the forums ChrisL,

The covers should be free to rotate on the shroud, this will reduce wear on the sails and reduce injury if you fall into one.

You can replace them without a lot of effort or money, I used electrical conduit last time, not as good as the fancy marine version but a lot less.

You should lift them a couple of times a year and give them a clean and some lanolin helps prevent salt crusting.

Tip: A washer at the base helps them to rotate with very little effort, handy on the babystay if you have one.

Hope this helps. . . . . .

<hr width=100% size=1> Old Salt Oz /forums/images/icons/cool.gif Growing old is unavoidable. However, growing up is still optional.

cpedw

Visit site
They help to prevent jib sheets snagging on the sharp corners at the bottle screws, split pins and so on. But you should have a look underneath every once in a while and clean out anything undesirable I think.
I'm planning to replace mine, which are old, breaking up and too small anyway, with suitable sized lengths of drain pipe next winter.

Derek

<hr width=100% size=1>

ccscott49

Visit site
Mistake!! I thought you meant bottle screw covers. The ones on the shrouds are to protect the genny sheets and stop the chafing, I have them aswell, renew them, then just clean them occasionally, they should be fine and useful.

<hr width=100% size=1>