Showing Thames licence

Momac

Visit site
That works fine if there is an identifying registration number or name clearly displayed on the exterior of the boat.
Not so much the case on the Thames these days
On C&RT waters each boat is required to display an index number. Why is that not so with the EA?

CJL

Visit site
I thought the reason we didn't get licences this year was just down to Covid-19 and them not being able to print them?? The paperwork that came with the renewal seemed to suggest we'd be back to business as usual for 2023?
I actually was quite pleased to be going digital and it allowed us to store them on phones and the like. TBH - having an open boat, its rather frustrating assuming everybody has a window to stick them on. They weather very quickly on an open boat, even when laminated and put in the plastic sticky thing.

Scapegoat

Visit site
It's names on the Thames.
—-
There is a requirement to display the craft name and the number after it if someone else has previously used the name (or if you have a break in the registration and they can't join the dots).

It would be better if it was just a number really from a management point of view but also quite nice that the River is still a bit old fashioned.
I’ve noticed that more and more Thames boats are unnamed(deliberately). Maybe because it’s difficult to issue notices etc. if they are not identifiable

Outinthedinghy

Visit site
There will be quite a lot of boats on the River which have Gold licenses on them which is a combined CRT and EA license. In theory, although I don't know if it's the case, either navigation authority would be able to check license status using the CRT index number.

I remember when boat name requirements were enforced by the patrol boats. In fact I once had a notice on one of my boats to the effect of £1000 fine if I didn't write name on the bows on both sides..
The Boat was registered for the year and the name was written on the stern and in the side windows.

I guess an unmarked boat is indeed more awkward to enforce against so could be an advantage for someone who is seeking to circumvent the requirement for registration.

Actionmat

Visit site
On a side note, a member of the EA licencing team told me they think they'll be back in the office by early 2023, so next year some of us might get a licence that wasn't printed on an ink jet.

Northern Star

Visit site
On a side note, a member of the EA licencing team told me they think they'll be back in the office by early 2023, so next year some of us might get a licence that wasn't printed on an ink jet.

Errrr Boris and his mates had parties and didn't seem to leave their government office so what makes their department any different?

I suspect they are having a 2022 lets remove this department party altogether?

Barge

Visit site
On two separate occasions over the past two months, a EA patrol launch has been out actively inspecting and even ticketing boats...I kid you not.

I was even asked if i had one, and pointed to my self-printed scrap of paper in the window, can't remember the last time that happened. They even assured me they were off to check registrations away from the main channel... not sure how they got on but the thought was there. Was a nice day for it.

Chris_d

Visit site
On two separate occasions over the past two months, a EA patrol launch has been out actively inspecting and even ticketing boats...I kid you not.

I was even asked if i had one, and pointed to my self-printed scrap of paper in the window, can't remember the last time that happened. They even assured me they were off to check registrations away from the main channel... not sure how they got on but the thought was there. Was a nice day for it.
Yes thats correct but they now have a laptop with a list of all registered boats with them so they don't need to see the bit of paper as long as you have a boat name displayed.

They recently did the Mapledurham reach and checked 27 boats:
6 correctly registered
18 LPRO notices served
8 no name notices
6 EA 30 T notices served

Not sure what all those are though!

Parabordi

Visit site
Yes thats correct but they now have a laptop with a list of all registered boats with them so they don't need to see the bit of paper as long as you have a boat name displayed.

6 correctly registered
18 LPRO notices served
8 no name notices
6 EA 30 T notices served

Doesnt matter, have yet to hear of any boat removed

6 correctly registered
18 LPRO notices served
8 no name notices
6 EA 30 T notices served

Having no name seems to be the latest craze. Shades must have no tongue left the amount of biting it must receive.

Northern Star

Visit site
The EA seem to be having an effect as between my marina and Hampton I have seen far fewer freeloading boats and mooring hoggers in the past year and even couple of evictions with the EA out in force at a couple of places.

They seem to have gotten the marina to act too as all the boats who thought that they didn't need a registration as they "don't use the river" seem to have been kicked off following the inspections pre panademic and it is now a condition of mooring that you have the licence displayed.

Small progress but it is making a difference but they need to sort the mooring fees as I would love to pay my £5 a night at Laleham but I ain't walking to Chertsey or Penton lock to find it has no one to give the cash to!

Maybe a system like this one would help as it could also include private mooring as options to stay: Thames Visitor Moorings

People should support the TMBA and other organisations as it gives us a voice that seems to be listened to: TMBA | Representing Owners of Powered Craft Registered On The Non-Tidal Thames

Scapegoat

Visit site
Small progress but it is making a difference but they need to sort the mooring fees as I would love to pay my £5 a night at Laleham but I ain't walking to Chertsey or Penton lock to find it has no one to give the cash to!

As regards mooring fees, assuming that the Lockkeeper is on duty when you next pass through the lock after mooring overnight, just pay your fees then.

Barge

Visit site
Aren't all EA public moorings free for the first 24...? Then £5.50 / night for the next couple of nights before you move off as it is £50 (maybe more now) thereafter.

But wouldn't it be much easier if it was all online like it was with TVM? The enforcement and monitoring was a nonsense but the website was simple and clear.

Northern Star

Visit site
Yes my understanding is that all are free for 24 hours then £5.50 up to the max number of nights but as I tend to just pop to Laleham from the marina I ain't walking the distance to the lock just to pay and find that there is no one there.