Should you always keep a dinghy inflated?

Nostrodamus

www.cygnus3.com
Just wondered if anyone else had heard this.
We were told by a yard who repair dinghies that that should always be kept inflated when ever possible.
Apparently the reason being that inflating and deflating them all the times weakens the seams.

Tranona

Visit site
Doubt it. Whole idea of inflatables is that you can, well, inflate or deflate them as appropriate. Leaving inflated leaves them open to the elements - UV and bird droppings etc unless you have a cover. Also more likely to get stolen. Deflating means work and takes up storage space. You could make a long list of pros and cons - but then do what you think is best for you.

sailorman

Visit site
Just wondered if anyone else had heard this.
We were told by a yard who repair dinghies that that should always be kept inflated when ever possible.
Apparently the reason being that inflating and deflating them all the times weakens the seams.
Just ask, Why were inflatables invented ?

To see so many lashed to the transoms of AWB`s snail like, one does wonder

ValleyForge

Visit site
Little Zodiac blown up / let down around 3 times each week (in the season) to row between car on shore & boat. Lasting, let me see now - about 18 years so far ....
Kept deflated of course when not in use. Tip - a Rule blower makes light work of inflating, about 90 seconds although drawing 28 amps needs a bit of thought. I use a tiny golf trolley battery.

Nostrodamus

www.cygnus3.com
It was interesting talking to the firm. They also say that it is surprising how many life rafts fail to inflate when they are brought in for service.

Georgio

georgeisted.blogspot.com
It was interesting talking to the firm. They also say that it is surprising how many life rafts fail to inflate when they are brought in for service.

I seem to recall Ocean Safety saying the opposite when speaking to them at my last life raft service - that it is very rare to have one that does not inflate correctly. However the equipment inside (batteries/flares/etc) will go out of date.

scaremongering to drum up business?

cmedsailor

Visit site
Leaving the inflatable dingy under the Med sun, will eventually damage ("dry" or let's say "burn") the material (PVC usually). By deflating and inflating a "dry" dingy often, the PVC will eventually crack. The only way for it to last a few more years is to let it at least partly inflated. I know this from first hand since my last dingy was damaged. Now, even though I take good care of my new dingy (cover under the sun and so on), even when I take it home for the winter I leave it partly inflated in the garage.

sailaboutvic

Visit site
Our dinghy is 10 years old , and we use it most days at less 8 months a year , it would drive me mad to keep inflating and deflating it , so it stayed inflated all thought the summer , the first six year it wasn't covered and ended up getting very sticky now it has a cover , wish we made the cover when it was new , it now has a small leak on a seam ,which happen while being folded away in it bag in the winter , I guess it would had happen any way deflated or not , I have tired every thing to stop it , I have managed to slow it down , so every day it need a few pumps . No big deal , Only thing I would say is , make a cover for it , it not only protect it from the sun but also protect it from rubbing on walls , pontoons and the boat

www.bluewatersailorcroatia.webs.com

RupertW

Visit site
Leaving the inflatable dingy under the Med sun, will eventually damage ("dry" or let's say "burn") the material (PVC usually). By deflating and inflating a "dry" dingy often, the PVC will eventually crack. The only way for it to last a few more years is to let it at least partly inflated. I know this from first hand since my last dingy was damaged. Now, even though I take good care of my new dingy (cover under the sun and so on), even when I take it home for the winter I leave it partly inflated in the garage.

We leave ours inflated all year round, stored on the foredeck (8 year old Caribe 3m rib) simply because I wouldn't want to store it down below. I do slightly deflate it. The idea of a cover is a good one, but its been in the Med sun all it's life without one so probably any damage is already done.

cmedsailor

Visit site
We leave ours inflated all year round, stored on the foredeck (8 year old Caribe 3m rib) simply because I wouldn't want to store it down below. I do slightly deflate it. The idea of a cover is a good one, but its been in the Med sun all it's life without one so probably any damage is already done.

This reminds me my old tender. Always under the Med sun, never covered, only partly deflated and was OK. Until the moment I decided to deflate it completely and fold it (not sure if this is the correct English word) tight in order to store it.