Should I - or not?

zoidberg

Visit site
I'm fitting much stronger anchor/mooring posts, removing the one centreline 'samson post' ( for several reasons ) and looking to mount these 'bad boys' port and starboard.

53654208485_f4d381fd53.jpg

The intent is to mount them on 48mm teak blocks, broadly as shown. ( yes, there's more to do... ) This should raise the top surface level with the top of the teak capping rail.
There will be wholly adequate under-deck reinforcing.

Good idea? Or not....?

penberth3

Visit site
I'm fitting much stronger anchor/mooring posts, removing the one centreline 'samson post' ( for several reasons ) and looking to mount these 'bad boys' port and starboard.

53654208485_f4d381fd53.jpg

The intent is to mount them on 48mm teak blocks, broadly as shown. ( yes, there's more to do... ) This should raise the top surface level with the top of the teak capping rail.
There will be wholly adequate under-deck reinforcing.

Good idea? Or not....?
At first sight they look slightly OTT, but I've no idea how big your boat is.

dunedin

Visit site
We fitted a couple of these Osculati bollards to act as mooring fairleads and secondary cleats - Mushroom cleat

Worth noting we find that the grip as cleats tends to be less firm than conventional mooring cleats. Not an issue for us as never relied on entirely - ropes to both types of cleats in marinas, and mooring ropes attached to both in series.
What size are the fixings? If I recall correctly the Osculati ones are through bolted with two hidden 12mm bolts, which looks more substantial sized than your picture.

William_H

Visit site
Looks fine to me. As you have intimated the weak link will be the reinforcing onto the deck. Large area perhaps carried down to the hull itself. Imagine the boat being lifted by these attachments or pulled off a sand bank by a tug. ol'will

MontyMariner

montymariner.co.uk
I've seen them mounted centre and aft, but not often forward, so there could be a good reason.
What size are the mounting holes, judging from the pen in the background I would guess about 8mm which to my mind is too small, not because of the shaft, but because the head is small.
Are the cleats SS or Aluminium, if aluminium and using SS bolts, definitely not a good combination up at the bow with that small depth of metal in the base. Screw through aluminium horn cleats have a couple of 12'ish mm bolts that go right from top to bottom of the horn, so good and strong from all angles of pull.
So, IMO Not a good idea!

Roberto

sybrancaleone.blogspot.com
Depending on how your bow is organized, putting the two horns in the vicinity of any flying rope (like flapping genoa sheets during jibes) might be an invitation to tangle; I have two cleats near the bow with a much lower profile and I have to put four semi-circular sections of pvc under their horns otherwise at the first jibe the lazy genoa sheet gets locked under one horn. I do not know your boat, but on mine such tall and salient cleats would be a nightmare.