Shotley -Food

Seashoreman

www.pianotuning.uk.com
Saify curry restaurant at Harwich and a free night at Halfpenny pier if you leave before 9am, otherwise it's about £8. Dogs welcome.
Moored at Halfpenny Pier on Friday. HM very pleasant man but straight to the point: under 5M boats £10, over 5M £15. He issues official tickets and takes a photo of boats stern. If you are not around the ticket is attached to boat and you are requested to put fee in his letter box. There is no limit on length of stay.
There are CCT cameras along the harbour wall and one of their purposes is to monitor the movement of visitors and enforce harbour dues. Apparently they will track you down and force the money out of you. It was indicated that your details could be circulated to local marinas, etc.
I have to point out that I never gave any indication whatsoever of skipping off without paying, just HM making policy very clear to me and others around. Apparently the cost of maintenance etc needs to be paid for and he apologised for acting like a parking warden, just doing his job,etc.
More to the OPs point I was offered a discount voucher for the ALMA pub, not sure if it covered other eateries. ALMA offers high quality grub, inc lobster sold by weight. Wine of the day was £27 a bottle. Classy joint.

Last edited:

sailorman

Visit site
Moored at Halfpenny Pier on Friday. HM very pleasant man but straight to the point: under 5M boats £10, over 5M £15. He issues official tickets and takes a photo of boats stern. If you are not around the ticket is attached to boat and you are requested to put fee in his letter box. There is no limit on length of stay.
There are CCT cameras along the harbour wall and one of their purposes is to monitor the movement of visitors and enforce harbour dues. Apparently they will track you down and force the money out of you. It was indicated that your details could be circulated to local marinas, etc.
I have to point out that I never gave any indication whatsoever of skipping off without paying, just HM making policy very clear to me and others around. Apparently the cost of maintenance etc needs to be paid for and he apologised for acting like a parking warden, just doing his job,etc.
I thought ( well it used to be ) the charge was only for overnight NOT day time

morgandlm

Visit site
My son and I ate at the Bristol Arms 2 weeks ago. Good beer, friendly reception and decent food. It was a Thursday evening and a bit quiet but better than the sterile Shipwreck.
Morgan

thalassa

www.wv-saeftinghe.nl
Try Fox`s Marina Yacht Club on Friday / Saturday evenings or any lunchtime, the Sunday roast is popular
Don't know about the Sunday roast, but we enjoyed the steak pie with Adnams and chips last Saturday.
We went to Levington's Ship Inn as well, but The Boss didn't like the menu and the smell, so we went to the club's lightship instead. She enjoyed F&C with excellent batter ( with Adnams...)

Visit site
This year (with youngish children) we have had:
1. A very good lunch at the Alma in Harwich. It does get busy so we try to be a bit early. You can book a table if you are a big group but i suspect that means that you end up in the dining room whereas the garden and bar are both much nicer. The landlady is great and clearly making a big effort. We could not find the harbourmaster so could not seek out the rumoured discount voucher but we did put a little money in the RNLI box on the ice cream van as that is what he usually asks us to do for a lunch stop.
2. Fish & Chips at the Lightship...another good meal and again no charge if you are just stopping for lunch.
3. Various things at RHYC - where we are members and eat frequently. The catering is pretty good and sitting on the lawn on a warm day is lovely. Again the lunch stop is free for visiting yachts.

We did once sail to Pizza Express in Ipswich but the marina up there (the one on the right as you enter) was not really sure about letting us stop for free over lunch.

sailorman

Visit site
This year (with youngish children) we have had:
1. A very good lunch at the Alma in Harwich. It does get busy so we try to be a bit early. You can book a table if you are a big group but i suspect that means that you end up in the dining room whereas the garden and bar are both much nicer. The landlady is great and clearly making a big effort. We could not find the harbourmaster so could not seek out the rumoured discount voucher but we did put a little money in the RNLI box on the ice cream van as that is what he usually asks us to do for a lunch stop.
2. Fish & Chips at the Lightship...another good meal and again no charge if you are just stopping for lunch.
3. Various things at RHYC - where we are members and eat frequently. The catering is pretty good and sitting on the lawn on a warm day is lovely. Again the lunch stop is free for visiting yachts.

We did once sail to Pizza Express in Ipswich but the marina up there (the one on the right as you enter) was not really sure about letting us stop for free over lunch.
Neptune Marina

cookjwm

Visit site
So....ate at bristol arms. Friendly, a bit quiet but so was the whole of shotley. Dinner was fine, we had fish from the specials and enjoyed it. Not the cheapest, but thats not my target, not the high point of my culinary experience, but would certainly go again and was far better than the microwave experience of the last visit to shipwreck!

Colvic Watson

Visit site
I have to point out that I never gave any indication whatsoever of skipping off without paying, just HM making policy very clear to me and others around. Apparently the cost of maintenance etc needs to be paid for and he apologised for acting like a parking warden, just doing his job,etc

Well we stay there about 7 or 8 nights every year and if we arrive after they've shut the office we're always told we only need to pay if we are there when they open up at about 8.45am. Friendliest pair of HM's around, even when they charge us they always give a discount because "they like having families come to visit". A little hidden gem on the East Coast.

Oldgeezer

Visit site
Stayed there a couple of weeks ago, and learned some more things.

If you use the HM's fenders, they are tied to the pier, not the boat. Boats go up and down, but the pier doesn't much. Tie up too tight and they will rub a nice patch on your hull.
And, if your boat is going up and down too much - stay at The Stingray pub (cash only! - and great breakfast)

Seashoreman

www.pianotuning.uk.com
Stayed there a couple of weeks ago, and learned some more things.

If you use the HM's fenders, they are tied to the pier, not the boat. Boats go up and down, but the pier doesn't much. Tie up too tight and they will rub a nice patch on your hull.
And, if your boat is going up and down too much - stay at The Stingray pub (cash only! - and great breakfast)
While were at it: no cash machines in Harwich. There is a mini post office in a mini supermarket but I managed to get cash-back in the Alma which is the norm apparently.

Sixpence

Visit site
are doge to be allowed in yur teashop

Yes indeed, animals aren't allowed in food prep or serve areas, but the food hygiene people don't have anything against them in food consumption areas. Which is why I avoid non dog friendly eateries as they're using the food reg's as an excuse to exclude something which isn't a problem. Lots of places realise this and allow dogs in who behave, the only dogs excluded are those that don't behave. It's running around that causes dog hairs to fly, so a well behaved dog isn't a problem any more than a well behaved child, or adult come to that

http://thegoodpubguide.co.uk/eng/To...n-type=5&name=&enhanced=1#tabview=tab0&page=2