Shoal Waters, Charles Stocks old boat, up for sale.

steve yates

Visit site
Tony Smith, who took over shoal waters from charles stock, and has written his own book about travels on her, Sea Country, has put her up for sale on his facebook page. He’s looking for the right owner, more than just money.
He has a blog here Creeksailor or his fb page is creeksailot.
Be a great small boat for an east coaster :)

Daydream believer

Visit site
He always said that Shoal waters was a great boat, but her age meant constant maintenance & limited his cruising range. Any idea what Tony has to replace her?
I have had Tony as a crew a couple of times. Once we went from St Peter Port to Camaret & back. He said that he really wanted to explore that coast.
Every time we passed an inlet or cove he just wanted to stop & drop anchor. It was like dragging a young child past toyshop windows. I think that he could have spent weeks exploring Lezardrieux & the river Trieux alone, if allowed to.

DownWest

Visit site
I tripped over a page some time back where a guy had found a Fulmar hull and was making a copy of Shoal Waters. Don't know how it panned out.

The Q

Visit site
I almost met Charlie a few times on the broads as we sailed past each other. Nice boat but I don't have the time to look after her.

PeterV

Visit site
There is a copy of Shoal Waters, also built on a Fairey Falcon hull. I last saw it in the Bristol area in the 90s

TetleyK

Visit site
Tony appears no longer to be sailing. His website is now empty, just a blank page and his reason for selling Showal Waters is 'owner retiring'. There is at least one copy of Shoal Waters, my own boat Naiad and Charles did mention to me once that a chap had contacted him about measuring Shoal Waters so that he could make one himself. Charles thought this highly amusing.

So, there may be more than one Shoal Waters copy out there.

Daydream believer

Visit site
How long ago was that? I was sailing into Burnham 19 July when someone called my name. It was Tony in Shoal Waters. I motored over & we had a chat as he sailed up river. There was no mention of him retiring from sailing then & he seemed as enthusiastic as ever. However, he did say that Shoal waters was reaching the end of its life & repairs were just too much to make it worth while for him. He wanted something a little larger, with less maintenance

TetleyK

Visit site
How long ago was that? I was sailing into Burnham 19 July when someone called my name. It was Tony in Shoal Waters. I motored over & we had a chat as he sailed up river. There was no mention of him retiring from sailing then & he seemed as enthusiastic as ever.
He put Shoal Waters up for sail on June 27th, His website is no longer available as from the beginning of September when I checked it, so it could have been taken down a lot earlier and the reason for selling Shoal Waters on the advert is 'Owner retiring'. His Facebook page originally mentioned that he had not sailed Shoal Waters much this year and had too many other demands on his time with friend and family.

Take that how you will, I surmise that he has given up on sailing for other pursuits.

Last edited:

Egbod

Visit site
Marsh Bird was in the River Blackwater, Essex area over 10 years ago. She may be traceable through the dinghy cruising association?? The builder was a member I think.

TetleyK

Visit site
Marsh Bird was in the River Blackwater, Essex area over 10 years ago. She may be traceable through the dinghy cruising association?? The builder was a member I think.
Thanks for the information, I'm a member of the DCA so I'l ask on their forum.

Egbod

Visit site
Well, I think that the photo above is taken on the River Chelmer, just upstream of Downs Road boatyard, Maldon, Essex. That is about a quarter of a mile from where the River Chelmer joins the River Blackwater

TetleyK

Visit site
Not on the Broads. On the River Blackwater.

Well, I think that the photo above is taken on the River Chelmer, just upstream of Downs Road boatyard, Maldon, Essex. That is about a quarter of a mile from where the River Chelmer joins the River Blackwater
Really? I have that same image in my Shoal Waters collection and the label says that it's Shoal Waters on the Broads.

Oh well, I'll change the label.

Thanks.