Shivering sands fort

jon and michie

Visit site
Hi - myself and the swmbo are planning on doing our first proper adventure.
Even though we've had the boat 5 yrs with things to do etc we felt it wasn't safe to venture out without a liferaft (we are / have worked at sea before).
So this season we want to start gently by going to shivering sands fort from North Fambridge.
I will start by following the Whittaker boyages then start from there.
Is there anything I need to be aware of?
Many thanks for any opinions
Jon

MoodySabre

Visit site
It's a nice trip. You will be crossing the shipping lanes but they are quite narrow so not a problem. You could combine it with a trip through Havengore if you are shallow draught and feeling bold.

rightstuff

Visit site
It's a nice trip. You will be crossing the shipping lanes but they are quite narrow so not a problem. You could combine it with a trip through Havengore if you are shallow draught and feeling bold.
Don't forget your rods good bass fishing you could also nip over to redsands as well

jon and michie

Visit site
Many thanks for that we have about 3ft but always allow 6ft for peace of mind.

Cantata

Visit site
Wondered why Shivering Sands particularly? In a way the (very similar) Red Sands fort is more a more direct run. From the Whitaker, head SW down past the Maplin buoy, and then head south from the SW Barrow cardinal buoy. Red Sands will be dead ahead. Actually my route home to the Swale from anywhere up your way!

jon and michie

Visit site
Wondered why Shivering Sands particularly? In a way the (very similar) Red Sands fort is more a more direct run. From the Whitaker, head SW down past the Maplin buoy, and then head south from the SW Barrow cardinal buoy. Red Sands will be dead ahead.
I looked at my chart last night and saw that shivering sands seems nearer from the crouch as opposed to red sands which appears nearer to the Kent side.
As a side note it would seem everyone mentions red sands forts and shivering is forgotten about.

Concerto

Visit site
You will never be an East Coast sailor if you do not touch bottom (on a rising tide) a number of times each year.

Once at Shivering Sands, are you going to go straight home or on to Ramsgate or Harty Ferry or enter the Medway? There is so much to explore on your adventure out of the Crouch. I regularly sail past both sets of forts and they do look interesing. You could also try Knock John Tower as well, not as interesting to look at.

Might I also suggest a visit to Brightlingsea as a good destination to go to.

jon and michie

Visit site
You will never be an East Coast sailor if you do not touch bottom
?
Many thanks for your points of interest I might just do red sands and then onto the medway - but if you hear a very loud bang followed by a tsunami type wave ? then I've just passed the Richard Montgomery and I'll blame you!!

LittleSister

Me Norfolk/Suffolk border - Boat Deben & Southwold
Visit site
Many thanks for that we have about 3ft but always allow 6ft for peace of mind.

Whatever, er, floats your boat, as they say, but be aware that by that approach you are ruling out much of, and some of the best and most interesting of, East Coast waters, and also adding unnecessary nervousness to your sailing in such waters.

You could practice going aground - on soft mud, in sheltered waters and moderate conditions, of course - to overcome your apparent fear of touching the bottom. (I sometimes deliberately go aground just to stop for a cuppa and a sandwich, or a snooze, if the tide times and location suit! It's less faff than anchoring.)

On the East Coast you will almost inevitably go aground at some point, whether or not you deliberately get more adventurous, so it's worth exploring how you are going to deal with it when it happens, and also when and where going aground is not an issue, and where/when it is very much to be avoided and how to do that avoidance (it can be smarter and more effective than just maintaining a 3ft margin).

Sadly most of the published advice about going aground isn't geared towards doing it 'East Coast style' as an almost regular part of of sailing, but useful info can be gleaned.

The short video linked below might be a useful start. There's also a handy book 'Running Aground and Getting Afloat'. Having just checked it seems currently unavailable new, but second-hand copies are for sale via e.g. Amazon and various booksellers.

Enjoy your sailing anyway, and your visit to the forts.

Concerto

Visit site
?
Many thanks for your points of interest I might just do red sands and then onto the medway - but if you hear a very loud bang followed by a tsunami type wave ? then I've just passed the Richard Montgomery and I'll blame you!!
If that happened I doubt you would be around to blame me. :giggle: :giggle: :giggle: :giggle:

Anyway perhaps you should go to Specsavers first to ensure you see the warning buoys surrounding the Mongomery. You had been be quick if you want to see the masts before they are removed in June.

If you feel very adventureous in the Medway, you could visit the hulk of the WWI German submarine on the marshes. Have you visited the WW1 german submarine wreck? - Medway Yacht Club Or you could visit Darnet Fort. Fort Darnet - Wikipedia

jon and michie

Visit site
Right as an update hoping to get out next week to the forts and as suggested we may visit a marina on the Medway as an overnight stop - Can anyone recommend one ?
Jon

xyachtdave

Visit site
Right as an update hoping to get out next week to the forts and as suggested we may visit a marina on the Medway as an overnight stop - Can anyone recommend one ?
Jon

Chatham has much better access but don’t forget it’s likely to be rammed what with the Jubilee celebrations, sail past, historic ships etc and a cacophony of hooter, whatever that is.

I’d ring to book if I were you.

jon and michie

Visit site
Thank
Chatham has much better access but don’t forget it’s likely to be rammed what with the Jubilee celebrations, sail past, historic ships etc and a cacophony of hooter, whatever that is.

I’d ring to book if I were you.
Thank You xyachtdave - I havent got a set day yet maybe middle of next week (having new canopies measured up and made so have to work around the sailmaker) but will bear this in mind
Jon

xyachtdave

Visit site
I’m sure you’ll be fine mid week, Chatham lock is much better/easier than Gillingham, you’ll be able to get in and out at LW springs with your draft and there’s much more room inside to swap lines and fenders around if you need to.

Gillingham has restricted access, a smaller lock without floating pontoons and once you’re in very little room to do anything before you hit something!

Nothing wrong with it as a Marina if you’re not going in and out often. Currently unable to sell diesel too apparently.

The various yacht clubs including MYC would be able to cope with a mid week visitor too.

jon and michie

Visit site
I’m sure you’ll be fine mid week, Chatham lock is much better/easier than Gillingham, you’ll be able to get in and out at LW springs with your draft and there’s much more room inside to swap lines and fenders around if you need to.

Gillingham has restricted access, a smaller lock without floating pontoons and once you’re in very little room to do anything before you hit something!

Nothing wrong with it as a Marina if you’re not going in and out often. Currently unable to sell diesel too apparently.

The various yacht clubs including MYC would be able to cope with a mid week visitor too.
Thanks for that xyachtdave

ex-Gladys

Visit site
just reading one of the shoal waters books, and I quote....."Having a deep draft vessel on the east coast is like taking a blind man for a day out in a nudest camp" from the brilliant Mr Stock..
Ah, the "if you don't do it my way you're doing it wrong" Mr Stock. I had many very enjoyable years on the East Coast with a 1.5m boat.

oldgit

Visit site
Worth checking out the history of all the forts especially regards the pirate radio era.
On one of the towers can still be seen "Radio 390" painted on the concrete.
MDL Chatham would be my suggestion.
Ch 74 in the Mudway...and stay out of the gas terminal zone.....or you will be told off.
The Medeway is bit like the Crouch but not so boring and with lots of things to do and see.
ps. The locals are much nicer and are actually aware of collison regs.?

Last edited: