Shipping yacht through Suez canal

ribrage

Visit site
Has anyone got info , costs , details of shipping a yacht through the Suez canal and into safe waters ?

Shipping as in piggy back - anyone done it - good bad ?

Where to ship from ? where to be dropped off ?

Anyone else thinking about going down that route ?

Heres one quote :

We could pick you up in Fethiye and bring you to Phuket or Maldives.
A boat your size , mast up with ALL INCLUDED water 2 water is around 35.000 USD….

Last edited:

miyagimoon

www.facebook.com
If you can send me your e-mail address I will ask one of the participants on the Red Sea Sailing Safari to contact you. They actually shipped their yacht from Dubia to Turkey, wrong way I know but it may be helpful. I am led to believe from others we know who shipped from india to Turkey back in 2011 that they paid about £800 per foot.

Next I will ask you when you are thinking of doing this. It is my belief and no doubt many others will jump on and disagree, that the piracy situation in that area has all but disappeared. See https://icc-ccs.org/piracy-reporting-centre/live-piracy-map and http://www.shipping.nato.int/Pages/LargeAlertMap90.aspx. Give it another year or so and it will be back to how it was some 10 year ago.

When we were returning from The Red Sea Sailing Safari we met a number of yachts who had just come from India and a couple who were on route to Indian etc. Those transiting East to West said they saw no indication of pirates and those going West to East who we kept in touch with all made it safely also without seeing pirates. What both sets said was that at the time there was a massive Naval presence in and around Yemen. It was when it was seriuosly going on in Yemen. None of them went via Yemen and Oman they all opted to go via Djiboute.

We ourselve are planning to do another Red Sea Sailing Safari but this time keep going to India. We will of course welcome along those who just want to go to Eygpt. Dates for this are likely to be winter 2016/17 or 2017/18.

ribrage

Visit site
If you can send me your e-mail address I will ask one of the participants on the Red Sea Sailing Safari to contact you. They actually shipped their yacht from Dubia to Turkey, wrong way I know but it may be helpful. I am led to believe from others we know who shipped from india to Turkey back in 2011 that they paid about £800 per foot.

Next I will ask you when you are thinking of doing this. It is my belief and no doubt many others will jump on and disagree, that the piracy situation in that area has all but disappeared. See https://icc-ccs.org/piracy-reporting-centre/live-piracy-map and http://www.shipping.nato.int/Pages/LargeAlertMap90.aspx. Give it another year or so and it will be back to how it was some 10 year ago.

When we were returning from The Red Sea Sailing Safari we met a number of yachts who had just come from India and a couple who were on route to Indian etc. Those transiting East to West said they saw no indication of pirates and those going West to East who we kept in touch with all made it safely also without seeing pirates. What both sets said was that at the time there was a massive Naval presence in and around Yemen. It was when it was seriuosly going on in Yemen. None of them went via Yemen and Oman they all opted to go via Djiboute.

We ourselve are planning to do another Red Sea Sailing Safari but this time keep going to India. We will of course welcome along those who just want to go to Eygpt. Dates for this are likely to be winter 2016/17 or 2017/18.

Hi PM sent with our email - I could make my dates fall in with yours for that transit if there was a group interested in going - 2017 ?

temptress

gbr195t.com
Has anyone got info , costs , details of shipping a yacht through the Suez canal and into safe waters ?

Shipping as in piggy back - anyone done it - good bad ?

Where to ship from ? where to be dropped off ?

Anyone else thinking about going down that route ?

Heres one quote :

We could pick you up in Fethiye and bring you to Phuket or Maldives.
A boat your size , mast up with ALL INCLUDED water 2 water is around 35.000 USD….

Hi know someone who went Phuket - Turkey a few months ago - IIRC they paid around $35K

ribrage

Visit site
Hi know someone who went Phuket - Turkey a few months ago - IIRC they paid around $35K

Tenaya ? If it is I found their blog entry for the trip - we have a couple of quotes one for Male in Maldives the other Phuket , Phuket slightly cheaper , plus I can travel on the ship for 50 bucks a day as I have Uk seamans book

still weighing up my options

thanks

sailaboutvic

Visit site
R

When we were returning from The Red Sea Sailing Safari we met a number of yachts who had just come from India and a couple who were on route to Indian etc. Those transiting East to West said they saw no indication of oil pirates and those going West to East who we kept in touch with all made it safely also without seeing pirates. What both sets said was that at the time there was a massive Naval presence in and around Yemen. It was when it was seriuosly going on in Yemen. None of them went via Yemen and Oman they all opted to go via Djiboute.

800 per foot, that's about 32k for a 12 mts boat, surely it cheaper to just buy something out there and then sell it once you had enough,

ribrage

Visit site
R

800 per foot, that's about 32k for a 12 mts boat, surely it cheaper to just buy something out there and then sell it once you had enough,

vic

Yes probably cheaper - BUT this boats been home for so many years , I cant bring myself to sell it - trust me I tried , plus by the time I do repairs to a new boat to get it how Id want it , plus ship all my kit to Asia , Plus flights out there , is it really going to be cheaper ? current cheapest quote is around £20 k

Last edited:

sailaboutvic

Visit site
vic

Yes probably cheaper - BUT this boats been home for so many years , I cant bring myself to sell it - trust me I tried , plus by the time I do repairs to a new boat to get it how Id want it , plus ship all my kit to Asia , Plus flights out there , is it really going to be cheaper ? current cheapest quote is around £20 k

I can understand what you are saying, a lot I suppose depends on how long you plan to sail there.
My oceans crossing days are over, I now don't see any joy in sailing a boat for weeks on end and seeing nothing but sea,

But We have talked about doing the inter coastal water, and a few other places and our thoughts have been to put our home on the hard for a few years and buy something over there, selling it once we have finished,

ribrage

Visit site
How much would it cost to take it the other way, using delivery skippers for the bits you do not want to do?

Jonathan

The delivery skipper thing doesn't float for me - not that I don't trust anyone else - but .. well I don't trust anyone else

The logistics of me finishing work after five weeks on ship and having to find where someone else has left my home, it doesn't really work, the time scale is too great ,plus wear and tear on the boat, the shipping company are talking 3 weeks and I can do the passage on the ship with them .... ta da welcome to Asia

ribrage

Visit site
I can understand what you are saying, a lot I suppose depends on how long you plan to sail there.
My oceans crossing days are over, I now don't see any joy in sailing a boat for weeks on end and seeing nothing but sea,

Good thing about my job is the company fly crews in from all over the world , so they don't care where I live - and I have no interest in long distance sailing - if I had too I would , but I spend enough time in deep water without sight of land , , Im already printing pictures of trees to hang in this office !