Ship/boat

Martini

Visit site
having a weee debate with the lads when a question came up that not one could give a positive answer.

What is the difference between a boat and a ship, or when does a boat become a ship?????????????

Anyone out there that could help?

thanks

ccscott49

Visit site
Very difficult question, the old nomenclature, was for sailing ships/boats, a fully rigged ship had to have three or more masts and had to be square rigged on all of them, although they could also have a fore and aft sail on the after mast, aswell as square rigged ones. Barques, barquentines, brig, brigantine, schooners, topsl' schooners, clippers (although they were mainly ships) etc. But all that has gone now. (well not quite) As for size, it doesn't mean much, as some big ships are called supply boats, and some very big ships are also called yachts. You also have cruise liners and cruise ships, a tug is often called a boat, but some ocean going tugs are big! Are you getting the jist of all this? Some very small boats are called ships, as Dunkirk little ships etc. The navy, of course will have it's own definitions, frigates and above ships and anything else below boats, who knows, I'm sure somebody here will!! So as a difinitive answer, I will have to bow to superior knowledge on this, I'm sure there is a nomenclature laid down somewhere, but I don't know it.

ccscott49

Visit site
This means war!!! Bosun! Fetch me cutlass! Bring er' into the wind a hairs breadth! blast yer' eyes!!!

ccscott49

Visit site
Right! Prime all cannon, run out the caronades! Get those balls on to the monkeys and clear away all the hammocks, nets up into the riggin' prepare for action, get the marines out on deck and into the riggin' t'gallants only! Powder monkeys into felt shoes! Double shot the lower cannon and elevate chain shot the uppers, we'll take im' in one pass! We're ready for im' sir!!!

Caronia

Visit site
Have just checked your profile .. John Bain eh! .. a little lightweight but perhaps you are a ship after all. Have sent midshipman over in boat with invitation to madeira and sweetmeats.

ccscott49

Visit site
OK, 48 tons, lightweight?? I accept your kind offer, I will reciprocate later with the offer of an invitation to port in the captains day room. I'll send my gig!

ccscott49

Visit site
So has Englander, now you've done it, she's a ship, I've been telling people that!! Mind you does that mean I have to fulfil another set of regulations, Oh! bugger!

ToMo

Just outside Budapest or In the Med (Corfu)
Visit site
Yeh well I use to hunt the buggers on Shacks then Nimrods...I never wanted to find out there first names, and by the way 'we ALWAYS found our target....Oh and before Barry jumps up and down I did a couple of stints on Victor strike bombers too!

TôMö

ccscott49

Visit site
Victor strike bombers!! Bloody hell, you are an old fart, they converted them all to tankers, scrappped the valiant, metal fatigue I believe, left only the vulcan as the strike aircraft, many donkeys years ago, retired them years ago for the F111, which are also all gone now!! Bloody hell! No wonder you like cats!!