Ship aground then drifting near Skye bridge.

afterpegassus

Visit site

PilotWolf

Visit site
Yeah, I'm not talking to the RNLI at that point when their boat probably isn't much bigger than my fast rescue craft. But I'd expect to have some one on the comms.

I've seen a different perspective recently, one I know that some here have and many never will.

LittleSister

Me Norfolk/Suffolk border - Boat Deben & Southwold
Visit site
A rib is not exactly going to pull it clear of trouble in that particular spot.

I don't think anyone, especially not the Coastguard or RNLI, thought that it would. Had they been able to get a response from the ship's crew, though, they would have been able to assess what help could have been provided, and make contingency plans.

It now appears that power had been lost, and the crew was presumably working on restoring this, but for all that was known at the time it may have been the crew were incapacitated, for example, rather than the ship.

dunedin

Visit site
And odd that they had apparently tasked the bigger AWB lifeboat to come down from Portree to assist. Yet there is one of the biggest fleet of “tugs” or equivalent boats in Scotland less than half a mile a way crowded round the piers at Kyle of Lochalsh. Surely they could have been there sooner?

PilotWolf

Visit site
And odd that they had apparently tasked the bigger AWB lifeboat to come down from Portree to assist. Yet there is one of the biggest fleet of “tugs” or equivalent boats in Scotland less than half a mile a way crowded round the piers at Kyle of Lochalsh. Surely they could have been there sooner?

I haven't seen much or been able to follow here but I'd suggest it was much like Penlee. The Master won't take tugs because of the cost or salvage claims risk.

As said previously I thought/hoped I was a reasonably competent skipper/captain working lastly in the UK for an ex deep sea Master who expected the vessel to be run the same but when you get up the tonnage things are totally different. It was a real eye opener to see how major incidents are dealt with, albeit a passenger vessel rather than cargo.

PW

dunedin

Visit site
I haven't seen much or been able to follow here but I'd suggest it was much like Penlee. The Master won't take tugs because of the cost or salvage claims risk.
………..
That’s perhaps just wild speculation. No tugs were dispatched to be declined.
More likely it was a case of “oh s### we’ve lost power” close to a bridge and rocks, and all hands to trying to solve the problem before got any more serious. Would like to think a crewman was preparing to drop an anchor.
I expect we will know more in due course, though may have been saved soon enough to avoid a full MAIB report

PilotWolf

Visit site
That’s perhaps just wild speculation. No tugs were dispatched to be declined.
More likely it was a case of “oh s### we’ve lost power” close to a bridge and rocks, and all hands to trying to solve the problem before got any more serious. Would like to think a crewman was preparing to drop an anchor.
I expect we will know more in due course, though may have been saved soon enough to avoid a full MAIB report

Yes, as said I only really have the info and links here.

Tugs aren't always immediately available just because they're there on the dock.

But I think I 'm teaching Grandma to suck eggs...

W.

Robert Wilson

Second Coast, Ross-shire, overlooking Gruinard Bay
Visit site
Perhaps the elastic band had come of the doo-hicky and wrapped round a waffle-sprocket.
Captain packing his duffle bag in his cabin, cook making sandwiches - both getting ready to wade ashore once it hit the rocks.
Crew arguing over whether it needs a 3/8ths or a 18mm ring spanner.
"Nothing to see here, move along please. Come along people, move away."

You lot do make a meal out of a minor incident:eek:

OK OK , just a bit of mirth to brighten up a Sunday. Mea culpa.?

Seriously, could have been a nasty, but I still think someone ought to have been manning the radio on the ship's bridge.

Slowboat35

Visit site
Not much sign of loss of power on the top picture, looks more like full throttle under load if the smoke is anything to go by.

afterpegassus

Visit site
Looks like the skipper and crew felt that they could deal with the situation .
That is my reading of this.

I speculate that the alarm was raised by one of the many perambulists on the bridge (Skye) aka Astute viewing platform; and, speculation also, she does look like one of the carriers that regularly service the adjacent fish fodder plant.