shetland 570

skinner

Visit site
hi,

i've just bought a shetland 570,my first boat,i'm a total novice to boating. its just for use on the norfolk broads and i'd like to ask if there is any advice anyone can give me about managing the shetland on the broads and boating in general.

<hr width=100% size=1>

whisper

Visit site
Hi. Welcome to the mad world of the forums and boating in general. You may find in the future that the best place for you to post queries is on the Motor Boat Chat nuthouse.
In response to your question about boating in general I would recommend that, if you are a complete novice, you bought the RYA Competent Crew and Day Skipper booklets. These are available from Chandlers pretty much everywhere.
My main personal advice would be a) Keep to the Right: b) Don't create a large wash: c) Always keep a good lookout astern: d) Keep well away from people on sailing boats - how can you know what they are going to do when they don't know themselves ?
Hope you have a great time for many years ahead.

<hr width=100% size=1>

extravert

Not far from Uwchmynydd, near Bwlchtocyn, just up
Visit site
When motoring on the rivers in Norfolk, watch out for people fishing from the banks. They don't always pull in their lines quickly enough or far enough, and they are often difficult to see (the lines that is, not the people. You can usually tell where the people are from the stream of abuse coming from the fisherman whose line you have just run over).

<hr width=100% size=1>Adventures of the VAT unpaid <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.xrayted.fsnet.co.uk>Teddy Bear Boat</A>

theguvnor

Visit site
SHETLAND 570 WAS MY FIRST BOAT i bought 4 years ago. When i asked the same question i was given the following advice
pointy end - bow
blunt end - stern
noisey bit on blunt end - engine
most used phrases - look out!
- what was that?
but mostly "How f**king much???
good luck - its a great little boat !

<hr width=100% size=1>