Sheet on Brace or Brace on Sheet?

Sydneybowman

Visit site
I'm interested to hear which way most people rig their kite sheets when rigging for a symmetrical. I've seen both ways and of course everyone is adamant that their way is correct, though they usually can't say why.
The only reason I've heard for brace on sheet is that in very light winds the brace can be removed so it's weight doesn't affect the shape of the kite.

Personally I go for sheet on brace. It just seems to work and look better in the beak. And surely it's better to have the tack as close to the beak as possible.

Thoughts?

flaming

Visit site
I'm interested to hear which way most people rig their kite sheets when rigging for a symmetrical. I've seen both ways and of course everyone is adamant that their way is correct, though they usually can't say why.
The only reason I've heard for brace on sheet is that in very light winds the brace can be removed so it's weight doesn't affect the shape of the kite.

Personally I go for sheet on brace. It just seems to work and look better in the beak. And surely it's better to have the tack as close to the beak as possible.

Thoughts?

We do guy on Sheet so we can remove in the light, no other reason. Although a fringe benefit does seem to be that it makes it easier to persuade the lazy sheet to go over the top of the pole, which it must do if dip pole gybing.

bbg

Visit site
Brace on sheet so that in light winds the brace can be removed so its weight doesn't affect the shape of the kite.

In very light winds switch to a temporary ultra light sheet. But be ready to clip the standard sheet/brace on quickly if the wind pipes up.

Edit - I sailed a lot with Kiwis, so am in the habit of calling it a brace rather than guy ...