Share a photo... and win £100

SimonC

Visit site
Hi

We're launching a new feature where we publish readers' photos that they've taken while boating.

The theme is pretty loose... pics of you enjoying yourself onboard, running shots of your boat (or someone else's), great scenery, pretty sunsets... you name it, really.

The RYA has kindly donated £100 of vouchers to the person who sends the best photo each month.

If you've got a photo you'd like to share, please email it to me at simon_collis@ipcmedia.com along with a bit of info about when and where it was taken.

And no rude ones please /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

duncan

Visit site
it is of course the reverse psyc trick - of course they want rude ones!

Simon - can you give a bit of guidance on size and format please. I assume 175MB psd files aren't quite what you are looking for - but equally 1MB 300x200 images are of little use either!

SimonC

Visit site
Didn't want to put anyone off by getting too techy...!

jpeg is preferred format, but we can also handle tiffs, psd and practically anything else you can name. My email will handle anything up to about 10Mb.

Don't bother adjusting the colours, brightness, contrast, levels etc, because unless your screen is professionally calibrated you can't tell what the photo actually looks like - it might be fine.

We will print at 300dpi, and we will use the pic about 10-20cm across, depending on quality. If your pic is really small, we won't be able to use it, but I don't mind sifting through images if you don't mind sending them.

Essentially, the bigger the better when it comes to file size. That way it will look crisp and perfect on the page.

duncan

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
unless your screen is professionally calibrated you can't tell what the photo actually looks like

[/ QUOTE ]

well of course it is otherwise how could I convert my RAW files /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

anyway you want nice high quality jpeg's but not more than 10mb........easy. weather's looking great for the weekend so off we go!

Sixpence

Visit site
Sounds like you're going to have a few snap happy pics to get through . Is this going to be an ongoing thing ? or is it a short duration , get your pics in quick , routine . i.e. when is this likely to end ?

SimonC

Visit site
No, it's an ongoing feature, which will be run in the mag on the Mailbag pages, with the RYA vouchers going to the best submission every month.

I am enlisting the help of the forums to get it up and running... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

duncan

Visit site
clearly to avoid claims of bias and a subjective view to match your readeship this forum should vote on the 'best' picture each month surely?

you guys shortlist to about 20 - post here as a poll; job done!

/forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Sixpence

Visit site
It might be worth mentioning that pics involving wifes / girlfreinds should be avoided , not for the reasons some might think , but I'm struggling to find one of me and MrsT25 for the editor of MBY that she's happy releasing to the press . Women eh , can't ever seem to keep em happy /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Sixpence

Visit site
If you managed to get one of me and Louise where she isn't being daft as a brush or looking seven months pregnant I'd love a copy , all the ones I've got are almost unprintable

stevieee

Visit site
Yes, should avoid pics involving wives/girlfriends. If the girlfriend found out about the wife, there'd be hell to pay! /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif