Sextant kelvin hughes london 1917

oldbilbo

Visit site
They were certainly constructed and sold as professional working instruments. Inside the case ( ? ) should be a 'collimation' or 'test' certificate showing the instrument errors at various intervals of arc.

Should that be missing, or if the device has been unused for years and possibly 'bumped', then it is advised to have it re-checked for accuracy/damage and a new table of errors provided for use in your sight reduction work.

SAMYL

Visit site
The company was originanly Henry Hughes and Son and had their works at Hainault. In 1941 the London Fenchurch Street offices were destroyed by German bombing which led to a collaboration with Kelvin, Bottomley and Baird of Glasgow as Marine Instruments Ltd. The amalgamation was formalized in 1947 as Kelvin and Hughes Ltd., as part of Smiths Industries Ltd. The firm of Kelvin and Hughes Ltd. was liquidated in 1966 but the name Kelvin Hughes was continued as a division of Smiths Group Plc.

Seems strange then that yours is dated 1917, could it be 1947 or 1977?

The Hughes instruments in the early part of the centuary were considered to be marginally superior to the well known and excellent Heath instruments.

If you could attach or email me a picture I may be able to identify it for you. Is there a model or serial number on it? Is it a vernier or micrometer adjustment?

dharl

www.mhpa.co.uk
Aha, are these the ones advertised on Ebay? if so then they are a working reproduction but have not been fine tuned to be used in anger! As Oldbilbo mentions an Sextant to be used as a Navigation Instrument will have a certificate inside advising of known errors.

Burnham Bob

Visit site
okay - any idea how well they work? i just want to learn to use a sextant out of interest. GPS is still favourite but maybe later on I'll invest in a proper working one

jwilson

Visit site
It looks like an India-made copy. Certainly not a "real" sextant and the 1917 date is almost 100 years out. If really cheap it would be interesting to see how far out the fixed errors are. If you buy one find someone with a proper navigation sextant and compare - easy enough to do almost anywhere you have several distant static objects.

D

Deleted member 36384

or would i be better off with an EBBCO one which come up on ebay sometimes

This would be a decent low cost jobby to learn with and better than a reproduction one in my opinion.

Okeydokey

Visit site
Don't mean to be facile but... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CBiThaw7Pm0&list=FLQ-SlMw8erAJhNRBTnGwqcQ&index=5
This occured because I have recently been let down by the seller on a successful bid for a fleabay Ebbco, I instead invested my time in having a go at this. Bit like home made pasta, fun but pointless in all honesty, I did learn alot in the process though :)

Edit: Have a look at the Jester forum on here, there are some really good inputs from members about the Ebbco, ScallywagII's input is particularly sound advice IMHO!

Last edited:

SAMYL

Visit site
I think that by now you will have realized that your sextant is not one manufactured by a recognised and reputable company and is probably a reproduction of recent date. No doubt perfectly functional and excellent to learn on.

If you are looking for further information I suggest you read a book by W. J. Morris called "The Nautical Sextant". It is a modern book mostly concerned with the restoration of sextants but it is a mine of information on the history, makers, development and use of sextants over the years.

I was given a sextant as a biscuit tin full of bits. It was an old Heath sextant and had obviously been retrieved from a wreck judging from the corrosion on all the parts. I have learned a lot by restoring it, although it will never be properly functional again as it is too badly corroded, but it is an interesting artifact to have as an ornament.

Incidentally, any sextant you see that is all polished brass is probably a reproduction for display/decorative purposes or has been restored incorrectly. Proper 'working' sextants were painted with matt or satin paint to minimise reflection of light from any surface.

Last edited:

Burnham Bob

Visit site
i didn't go for the kelvin hughes sextant - as its from india i was wondering if they might have got some old ones left by the brits - the pic certainly doesn't look its highly polished but in light of above comments that's not likely.

as my sailing is always coastal it was academic anyway. thanks for all the advice.

oldbilbo

Visit site
....as my sailing is always coastal it was academic anyway. thanks for all the advice.

As I recall Marine Cadets would spend a year or more typically in the Home Trade ( i.e. coastal ) learning the rudiments of the working of a ship - including the use of a marine sextant for coastal fixing by Distance Off by Vertical Sextant Angle, Fixing by Horizontal Sextant Angles ( and Station Pointer ), and the right way to handle and look after the battered old ship's sextant.... before being allowed anywhere near a good one.

Part of the apprenticeship.... and part of mine.

There's a certain 'Minn' of this parish who will recall, I'm sure, those times.

RobBrown

Visit site
As there is a big trade in ship breaking in India, there are occasional sales of old commercial sextants from the vessels being broken which appear on Ebay, but the trick is spotting the genuine articles from the dross. The particular type
(eg Tamaya), pukka box and optics report are good clues, but not foolproof!

Stucce

Visit site
Anyone know anything about these sextants? Are they working accurate instruments or just reproduction ornaments?
It is a minisextan a precision instrument, if the user have nessesary aknowledgement about navigation by celestical bodies the result will be good. I have one her for sale do you know anything about the price?