Serious question for the younger sailors. How do you maintain an income when sailing abroad?

DangerousPirate

Visit site
Selling products sight unseen, acting as a middle man without ever putting any investment into anything but marketing, hard sells through social media, no quality control and no after-sales service... I could go on.
Very assumptious. Who says I dont buy the articles myself and see if theyre good? A good business doesnt sell crap. Reviews are everythibg and permament. If you dont understand the business please dont insult me. Thank you.

newtothis

Visit site
Very assumptious. Who says I dont buy the articles myself and see if theyre good? A good business doesnt sell crap. Reviews are everythibg and permament. If you dont understand the business please dont insult me. Thank you.
Says bloke who has been "assumptious" about me in every reply...
You're obviously a very sensitive soul, so I'll wish you luck with your dreams of dropshipping and leather crafting your way around the world.
Do keep us posted on how you get on.

atol

Visit site
another good source of income are scrap metals if you have a reasonably sized yacht and a few basic tools.
i have a beautiful 20 ton swiss come-along.
that and a pair of sheerlegs from drift wood and a few rollers and you can pull stuff like lead keels above the high tide mark so you can melt them down into sheets then cut up and later be sold to scrap merchants.
It is really surprising the junk left on deserted pacific or indian ocean atolls,like miles of copper wire from abandoned settlements,bronze hatches from shipwrecks etc

cherod

Visit site
Says bloke who has been "assumptious" about me in every reply...
You're obviously a very sensitive soul, so I'll wish you luck with your dreams of dropshipping and leather crafting your way around the world.
Do keep us posted on how you get on.
and you are not the only one who wishes him well on his efforts and journey , (y)

Kelpie

Visit site
I don't think it's been mentioned on this thread yet but Sailing Atticus are worth a watch- young couple with a 'can do' attitude, stopping to top up the kitty when they run out of money. Mostly doing boat jobs for other cruisers and they seem quite capable.

beermonkey

Visit site
I don't think it's been mentioned on this thread yet but Sailing Atticus are worth a watch- young couple with a 'can do' attitude, stopping to top up the kitty when they run out of money. Mostly doing boat jobs for other cruisers and they seem quite capable.
There is another couple, not quite as young (well he isn't) on a channel called Free Range Sailing - on a 30', 50 year old Clansman - -circumnavigating Australia and "living off the sea". Very hands on, no frills and the crew is very cute and an epic cook.

beermonkey

Visit site
Yes but what are they supposed to do at the moment? Especially now with the new lockdown?
Be creative - kinda implicit in having a Patreon account.

It has become evident that many of them are completely formulaic and devoid of originality, and without an ever-changing backdrop to exploit, their 'creativity' vanishes.

DangerousPirate

Visit site
Most of them seem to be stopping to have babies.

I, too, noticed that! All those sailing couples suddenly get babies.

But to be fair: The videos never were about originality. They just followed a concept and recorded their own material. But basically they just copy from each other

Sailing is travelling though, and at the moment you cant travel. So they could do different videos but I think they dont want to mess up their theme.

In my eyes its perfectly okay if they dont bring out any different content.

Visit site
Met up with a chap I went to school with, built his own steel yacht and took off to the Med for 11 years. Came home with more funds than he left with. But then he is a time served ship spannerman and his wife was very handy with a sewing machine. On the other hand Malta early 70's a young German guy, drop out from Dentistry school, lived on a 20 footer used to keep himself afloat by "signing on" the cruisers summertime and paint varnish work off season. Suspect these opportunities are now long gone.

DangerousPirate

Visit site
Met up with a chap I went to school with, built his own steel yacht and took off to the Med for 11 years. Came home with more funds than he left with. But then he is a time served ship spannerman and his wife was very handy with a sewing machine. On the other hand Malta early 70's a young German guy, drop out from Dentistry school, lived on a 20 footer used to keep himself afloat by "signing on" the cruisers summertime and paint varnish work off season. Suspect these opportunities are now long gone.
Young german guy living on a 20ft boat.. hmmm...... Oddly similar.

Grüße von meiner Signet 20!

Anyways. I dont see why you shouldnt be able to do some painting and varnishing these days.