Serious question for the younger sailors. How do you maintain an income when sailing abroad?

DangerousPirate

Visit site
I wish you well in your endeavours. If I could offer you one piece of advice it would be don't underestimate the running costs of a boat.
Thanks. I know that being a backpacker is not nearly as expensive as a boat. I just compared the ability to find work while being on a constant move.

Still interested in other answers. Cause its kinda boring for me if I only talk about myself.

Clancy Moped

Visit site
Thanks. I know that being a backpacker is not nearly as expensive as a boat. I just compared the ability to find work while being on a constant move.

Still interested in other answers. Cause its kinda boring for me if I only talk about myself.
Don't work on the black in a marina, local trades folk will hang you out to dry.

convex

N/A
Visit site
I enjoyed 'second chance sailing' on Youtube. Pretty sure they didn't make a penny off it. No bikinis involved. Looks like it was all afforded off a state pension. In short, a lot more realistic of sailing in the UK.

a) Why on earth do kids watch other people play video games?
b) Where's a genuinely sound way to learn this currency/day trading business? It strikes me it's already a business where more people make money off teaching people who to make money than actually make money.

second chance sailing

newtothis

Visit site
Youre such a downer.

No one guessed your actual dreams, but I said you imagine things always be impossible and give up on them. Thats what I call a not so nice dream.

And guess what? Satellite Internet is a thing. Its expensive, but some data packages and equipment are affordable. So if someone would go down that road it definitely would be doable.

Again, you're making assumptions about what I consider possible and what I do or do not give up on. All I've done is point out the reality that selling tat to tourists or ripping off folk through dropshipping are not ways I'd care to (not) fund a cruising lifestyle.
Sorry if that doesn't jibe with your positivity kick, but I'm old enough and wise enough to have seen more broken dreamers than successful magical thinkers.
And yes, satellite internet is a thing, but it is going to cost a hellavalot more than you're going to have in readies. Ever wondered why most of the Tubers are always seeking out bars with free wifi?

GHA

Visit site
it is not just cruisers who need their bottoms scrubbing or props cleaning
Everyone else will have even less money than the cruisers. And very likely there'll be some kids will dive all day scrubbing your hull for pennies.
Brazil the kids would spend all day down below with a mask and beaten up compressor feeding them air for cost of an airport coffee.
Sounds like maybe your idea of 'cruising' is very different and in very different cruising grounds to everyone else out there living the life on a budget.

sailaboutvic

Visit site
In my experience this has been the sideline of the marinero.....
Yes most marina won't let you dive in the marina , have to wait till Sunday morning till there all in church before I go down .
As for making money out of it , they having a laugh , if someone on my pontoon as me to stick a bag on his prop while I'm in the water I won't be asking him for cash , if I'm not in the water then I tell them to wait till I am .

Reactions: GHA

Stingo

Visit site
Everyone else will have even less money than the cruisers. And very likely there'll be some kids will dive all day scrubbing your hull for pennies.
Brazil the kids would spend all day down below with a mask and beaten up compressor feeding them air for cost of an airport coffee.
Sounds like maybe your idea of 'cruising' is very different and in very different cruising grounds to everyone else out there living the life on a budget.
Often, for the price of another coffee, you'll get to shag the kid's mother.

atol

Visit site
When Cmap first came out i made a fortune installing the program and connecting to the gps copied versions to other cruisers who were not that computer savvy,even the poor cruisers were happy to cough up $50 or so .
trick is to be ahead of the game.

GHA

Visit site
When Cmap first came out i made a fortune installing the program and connecting to the gps copied versions to other cruisers who were not that computer savvy,even the poor cruisers were happy to cough up $50 or so .
trick is to be ahead of the game.
Most cruisers would help out fellow cruisers by loading some software for a drink and a bite to eat.
Most...........

sailaboutvic

Visit site
if i had a dollar for every clueless cruiser i have helped out in the last 110,000 miles of cruising..........
Am i understanding you correct , are you saying if another Cruisers needed a bit of help I find that be loading a program or a bit of hull cleaning you charge for that ?
By what your saying your not helping out at all . but hitting them for some bucks ?

atol

Visit site
Am i understanding you correct , are you saying if another Cruisers needed a bit of help I find that be loading a program or a bit of hull cleaning you charge for that ?
By what your saying your not helping out at all . but hitting them for some bucks ?
no what i said was i would sell a service or a product that was otherwise un available,or they did not wish to do it themselves and happy to pay for it