Serious question for the younger sailors. How do you maintain an income when sailing abroad?

DangerousPirate

Visit site
With regards to sailing and generating income from You Tube.

1. Sailing is a minority interest. There are a handful of channels that generate sufficient interest and income this way. Clearly SLV with over a million subscribers are a country mile ahead of Delos in terms of income and on a different planet to the rest. The vast majority of sailing channels make pretty much close to FA or less when equipment, time and data plans are factored in. There are probably a couple of dozen sailing channels who generate enough to be for it to be financially worthwhile.

2. If you want to make money on YT then you need millions of subscribers (don’t bother with sailing as the subject.) The big money is found in Make up and computer gaming.
Oddly enough the most views and money make unboxing videos of toys. Im not joking.

Dunno if its mums who inform themselves or children eager to get the toy themselves; but theyre being watched.

Youtube generates money through ads these days. The more people watch the videos without an adblocker the more money they get. Also their merchandise and affiliate links generate a lot of money as well. You knowm you click their link to buy something and they get a percentage and you a reduced price or similar (depends on the affiliate link and whats it for and on which website)

Its definitely do able but also very hard to get into. Sailing videos are a niche,most people wish to travel the world on a boat but cant afford it or have the time. So they watch others live their dream.

But before you can generate money through it you definitely need to put in a lot of time and work first. And if youre not eye candy or highly charismatic you dont really have good odds even if you do.

Youre better off starting an automated business ala dropshipping. No storage needed. Its definitely also difficult but more likely to be succeeding.

One needs to build a store,advertise heavily and smart and work down the orders. Problem is; if you dont have internet you need someone to do it for you. Thats why you can automate this process and it runs on its own. Obviouslyyou still need to check in every now and then, take care of complaints and put nee products, change old ones out and constantly optimise, but most of this could be outsourced as well.

Dont get me wrong. It is not easy peasy as its yet still hard to advertise and learn how to sell the right items. But its doable.

Or use your time on the boat and craft items. I like leather so Im interested in doing some leather work. Pouches, wristbands, bags, wallets etc. And once in a touristic area just sell your stuff on the street. Might be another few hundred extra. (But could be anything really. Jewellery, painting etc, whatever is yours.)

Maybe also learn a trait so you can do odd jobs around marinas. Maybe cut hair. Maybe you do burgers and sell them in the anchorage? Maybe you weld? Or you do the electric for someone?

And if youre really smart you do more than just one thing at once

newtothis

Visit site
Oddly enough the most views and money make unboxing videos of toys. Im not joking.

Dunno if its mums who inform themselves or children eager to get the toy themselves; but theyre being watched.

Youtube generates money through ads these days. The more people watch the videos without an adblocker the more money they get. Also their merchandise and affiliate links generate a lot of money as well. You knowm you click their link to buy something and they get a percentage and you a reduced price or similar (depends on the affiliate link and whats it for and on which website)

Its definitely do able but also very hard to get into. Sailing videos are a niche,most people wish to travel the world on a boat but cant afford it or have the time. So they watch others live their dream.

But before you can generate money through it you definitely need to put in a lot of time and work first. And if youre not eye candy or highly charismatic you dont really have good odds even if you do.

Youre better off starting an automated business ala dropshipping. No storage needed. Its definitely also difficult but more likely to be succeeding.

One needs to build a store,advertise heavily and smart and work down the orders. Problem is; if you dont have internet you need someone to do it for you. Thats why you can automate this process and it runs on its own. Obviouslyyou still need to check in every now and then, take care of complaints and put nee products, change old ones out and constantly optimise, but most of this could be outsourced as well.

Dont get me wrong. It is not easy peasy as its yet still hard to advertise and learn how to sell the right items. But its doable.

Or use your time on the boat and craft items. I like leather so Im interested in doing some leather work. Pouches, wristbands, bags, wallets etc. And once in a touristic area just sell your stuff on the street. Might be another few hundred extra. (But could be anything really. Jewellery, painting etc, whatever is yours.)

Maybe also learn a trait so you can do odd jobs around marinas. Maybe cut hair. Maybe you do burgers and sell them in the anchorage? Maybe you weld? Or you do the electric for someone?

And if youre really smart you do more than just one thing at once
Well, assuming not many are going to be making money unboxing toys, that leaves
Dropshipping: that market is pretty much blown and being done by everyone who thinks they have a niche 'side hustle' as the FIRE brigade like to say. People have got savvy to the dodgy nature of most of these sites and are going to Amazon/AliExpress instead.
Flogging leather work: relies on having a large number of gullible tourists, which requires being somewhere I'd rather not be.
Marina hairdressing and anchorage burger bar: that won't cover a cruising budget.
Welding and electrics: good for your own maintenance, but most people cruising will have these learned how to maintain their boats too.

DangerousPirate

Visit site
Well, assuming not many are going to be making money unboxing toys, that leaves
Dropshipping: that market is pretty much blown and being done by everyone who thinks they have a niche 'side hustle' as the FIRE brigade like to say. People have got savvy to the dodgy nature of most of these sites and are going to Amazon/AliExpress instead.
Flogging leather work: relies on having a large number of gullible tourists, which requires being somewhere I'd rather not be.
Marina hairdressing and anchorage burger bar: that won't cover a cruising budget.
Welding and electrics: good for your own maintenance, but most people cruising will have these learned how to maintain their boats too.

There are only two types of person in life: the ones that rule everything out, and the ones who make things work.

Dropshopping isnt dead, its just difficult.
Hairdressing wont cover all your costs but is yet another source of income. If you get to be somewhere touristic you can sell your leather craft or whatever you have for a few days. You can make them long in advance and most stuff wont take up much space at all.

If you dont want to do ut thats fine. But I keep hearing from people that "it" (whatever it is at the moment that Im talkig about) wont work. And then I made it work. You dont need to be original or very good at something, you just need to be better than the half assed, instant million wanting quitters (which are 90% of entrepeneurship of basically any field).

So I started two well running businesses, which I only gave up because I wanted to travel, and lived my dreams. Its not all glamour but Im happy. And I can vouch for crafting on the go and dropshipping. I know for sure those two things definitely generate some money, and if youre really skilled they have potential to make thousands.

The thing is though: barely anyone is masterfully skilled at something. So if you have three mediocre sources of income with 350 pound each you still have over a grand to spend for that month.

You think dropshipping is dead, tourists are annoying, and Unboxing videos not worth your time making? Well too bad. But I encourage you to have a loud voice about it to keep competition in the low numbers.

sailaboutvic

Visit site
I spend last week sorting out a sea water pump for a fellow sailor , I just met the day before , my payment was a couple of cups of tea , and some time this I have other job to sort out .
The only time we made a bit of money was some years back when after replacing some windows in a spray hood it quickly got around that my partner was good at canvas work and she ending up with as much work as she wanted over that winter ,
But the hours she put in didn't really justify the money she was getting now she only do the odd job .
As for hairdresser I can name four people here in this marina who will do men's and women hair free of charge .

cherod

Visit site
out of interest from you lucky people in those far off exotic places like Gibralter Lagos , Med , Canaries , wherever ( :) ) how easy is it for you to get quality stainless steel welding ( or any other welding work ) done on your boat ,, is it all done by " friends " , or other cruisers paid , or local ,, thank you R. ( a wannabe (y) )

Clancy Moped

Visit site
out of interest from you lucky people in those far off exotic places like Gibralter Lagos , Med , Canaries , wherever ( :) ) how easy is it for you to get quality stainless steel welding ( or any other welding work ) done on your boat ,, is it all done by " friends " , or other cruisers paid , or local ,, thank you R. ( a wannabe (y) )
From Spain through to Turkey I never had a problem finding someone, mostly locals.

38mess

Visit site
A long time ago we inherited a mystery shopping job for Coca-Cola, which covered our berthing costs, mind you I think austerity will have put paid jobs like that, TEFL teaching is a thankless task...
Can't get a job stacking shelves in the UK. My pal who works for UPS said the latest advertising for seasonal drivers for Xmas had the equivalent of 500 applications for each job. So the old staples in the down season such as waiting tables and working behind a bar have disappeared it would seem.

[3889]

Visit site
Basically you hit the nail on the head , most full time liveaboard who last longer then just a few years have earned there money the old fashion way , hard graft , or they been lucky to have been left a large sum by some one .
Don't forget those who have lazed their way through a career in the public sector and walked away with a final salary pension?

cherod

Visit site
I served my apprenticeship as a welder and fabricator, so can answer yes to all off the above, Inc cost.
thank you mate ,,,, btw ,, since you will be capable can i ask why you would not do your own, is it the inconvenience of carting a bottle of argon , wire and a machine around on your boat ?

Clancy Moped

Visit site
thank you mate ,,,, btw ,, since you will be capable can i ask why you would not do your own, is it the inconvenience of carting a bottle of argon , wire and a machine around on your boat ?
Carting all that stuff around on 37 S/Y is not that practical for the amount of use it would get, plus, and here's the rub, I hated doing it.

newtothis

Visit site
There are only two types of person in life: the ones that rule everything out, and the ones who make things work.

Dropshopping isnt dead, its just difficult.
Hairdressing wont cover all your costs but is yet another source of income. If you get to be somewhere touristic you can sell your leather craft or whatever you have for a few days. You can make them long in advance and most stuff wont take up much space at all.

If you dont want to do ut thats fine. But I keep hearing from people that "it" (whatever it is at the moment that Im talkig about) wont work. And then I made it work. You dont need to be original or very good at something, you just need to be better than the half assed, instant million wanting quitters (which are 90% of entrepeneurship of basically any field).

So I started two well running businesses, which I only gave up because I wanted to travel, and lived my dreams. Its not all glamour but Im happy. And I can vouch for crafting on the go and dropshipping. I know for sure those two things definitely generate some money, and if youre really skilled they have potential to make thousands.

The thing is though: barely anyone is masterfully skilled at something. So if you have three mediocre sources of income with 350 pound each you still have over a grand to spend for that month.

You think dropshipping is dead, tourists are annoying, and Unboxing videos not worth your time making? Well too bad. But I encourage you to have a loud voice about it to keep competition in the low numbers.

There are at least two other types: dreamers and realists.
You want to grift around the world selling arts and crafts and knock-offs from Chinese websites, go for it. I really don't see anyone making thousands from it, or even hundreds, without a hell of a lot of work, which is not my idea of the cruising lifestyle, anymore than spending 40 hours a week editing YouTube videos from a laptop on a saloon table is.

DangerousPirate

Visit site
Okay. If
There are at least two other types: dreamers and realists.
You want to grift around the world selling arts and crafts and knock-offs from Chinese websites, go for it. I really don't see anyone making thousands from it, or even hundreds, without a hell of a lot of work, which is not my idea of the cruising lifestyle, anymore than spending 40 hours a week editing YouTube videos from a laptop on a saloon table is.
Well youre a dreamer. Just your dreams arent nice. You dismiss things before you even try them.

And honestly: of course you have to work if you dont have the savings. Theres no other way. Its either have money or make money.

I know that Id rather work 40 hours on my boat and travel the world, than work 40 hours and not travel the world. Not to mention that a dropship business only takes like 3-4 hours a day to manage. What you do is up to you. (Though its highly unlikely that you will be able to travel without work.)

You can go years without money if youre a backpacker, but you cant do that if you have a boat.

newtothis

Visit site
Well youre a dreamer. Just your dreams arent nice. You dismiss things before you even try them.

And honestly: of course you have to work if you dont have the savings. Theres no other way. Its either have money or make money.

I know that Id rather work 40 hours on my boat and travel the world, than work 40 hours and not travel the world. Not to mention that a dropship business only takes like 3-4 hours a day to manage. What you do is up to you. (Though its highly unlikely that you will be able to travel without work.)

You can go years without money if youre a backpacker, but you cant do that if you have a boat.

That's quite presumptuous, given you know neither my dreams nor what I've tried or dismissed.
Working 40 hours a week on your boat is not travelling the world. It is working in a small, badly arranged office. But drink the YouTube cruising lifestyle KoolAid if you must. I've been around long enough to see more than a few cruisers dropping out because the dream and reality didn't match. But perhaps you can send us some pictures of yourself living the dropshipping funded lifestyle from some exotic island when you get there. Assuming, of course, it has reliable internet access.

DangerousPirate

Visit site
That's quite presumptuous, given you know neither my dreams nor what I've tried or dismissed.
Working 40 hours a week on your boat is not travelling the world. It is working in a small, badly arranged office. But drink the YouTube cruising lifestyle KoolAid if you must. I've been around long enough to see more than a few cruisers dropping out because the dream and reality didn't match. But perhaps you can send us some pictures of yourself living the dropshipping funded lifestyle from some exotic island when you get there. Assuming, of course, it has reliable internet access.

Youre such a downer.

No one guessed your actual dreams, but I said you imagine things always be impossible and give up on them. Thats what I call a not so nice dream.

And guess what? Satellite Internet is a thing. Its expensive, but some data packages and equipment are affordable. So if someone would go down that road it definitely would be doable.

Clancy Moped

Visit site
Youre such a downer.

No one guessed your actual dreams, but I said you imagine things always be impossible and give up on them. Thats what I call a not so nice dream.

And guess what? Satellite Internet is a thing. Its expensive, but some data packages and equipment are affordable. So if someone would go down that road it definitely would be doable.
What's you skill set? How much do you think your monthly bills be when on the move?

DangerousPirate

Visit site
What's you skill set? How much do you think your monthly bills be when on the move?
I am buying a new boat atm so I cant say yet what I expect to be paying.

But from travelling as a backpacker I know Id definitely would get by. Atleast in europe and north africa.

Not too mention the work I do online now and the leathercrafting.

Always found jobs when I needed them, and got offered something more often than I wanted. Though I rarely ever worked as it was part of my roaming freedom.

I am quite handy and can do lots of stuff ranging from painting to gardening over to simple constructions, installing windows, plumbing etc. Was quite the salesman also, was very good at promoting things (a field where you always find work even if you dont exactly speak the local language), I can translate 3 languages and I noticed Im a good teacher aswell. But Im a terrible student haha. Funny how things are.

But most importantly I know that not knowing something doesnt stop me from doing it. If I dont know how to a certain thing I put time and energy into it and learn.

So I think I have quite a wide skillset but unfortunately I never became a master in any trade.

There are many things on my list I think would be useful but are yet to be learned. Like welding. Or working with electric.

Last edited:

Clancy Moped

Visit site
I am buying a new boat atm so I cant say yet what I expect to be paying.

But from travelling as a backpacker I know Id definitely would get by. Atleast in europe and north africa.

Not too mention the work I do online now and the leathercrafting.

Always found jobs when I needed them, and got offered something more often than I wanted. Though I rarely ever worked as it was part of my roaming freedom.

I am quite handy and can do lots of stuff ranging from painting to gardening over to simple constructions, installing windows, plumbing etc. Was quite the salesman also, was very good at promoting things (a field where you always find work even if you dont exactly speak the local language), I can translate 3 languages and I noticed Im a good teacher aswell. But Im a terrible student haha. Funny how things are.

But most importantly I know that not knowing something doesnt stop me from doing it. If I dont know how to a certain thing I put time and energy into it and learn.

So I think I have quite a wide skillset but unfortunately I never became a master in any trade.

There are many things on my list I think would be useful but are yet to be learned. Like welding. Or working with electric.

I wish you well in your endeavours. If I could offer you one piece of advice it would be don't underestimate the running costs of a boat.