Serious Post ... Brain wanted repris

jimi

Visit site
Original situation

Yacht racing in Soton water this morning , forced me to crash tack when I was on starboard and he was on port to avoid me Tboning him then forcing me to let every thing fly (5 minutes later) to avoid hitting him when he was the windward boat (on the run) and I was on starboard tack (still beating) .. yes I have contacted the RSYC who were organising the race, I'll let you know their response!

<hr width=100% size=1>

jimi

Visit site
Response was

Dear Mr Robertson

You emailed us on 13 April and we acknowledged; I am sorry that there has been a delay before writing to you again, the fault is entirely mine.

The Club was sorry and indeed disturbed to hear of the incident. Whilst inevitably the other skipper sees some of the details somewhat differently from your perspective, it seems clear that he did not treat you as a cruising boat with the care and consideration appropriate to the situation.
Boats racing together are used to operating in close-quarters situations, but they need to differentiate clearly between their racing colleagues and others such as yourself.
As a Club we are very keen that everyone should always follow the Colregs and show courtesy to others; that racers should not expect cruisers to get out of the way (although we are grateful when they actually do so, out of kindness as often happens); and we try to encourage others to be happy to share the waters with us.
We have reprimanded the skipper of Kraken for causing you the concern that you wrote about, and strongly urged him to be more cautious in future.
With good wishes for the rest of the season.
Yours sincerely

Peter Bateson
Rear Commodore Sailing

<hr width=100% size=1>

david_e

www.touraine.blogspot.com
From the bridge of Kraken

We were involved in a tight race t'other night when some blithering idiot in a pudding basin of a cruising boat got tangled up in the midst of it all.....christ, if they haven't learnt by now then they must be brainless...."Can't you see we're racing" we cried....chump just crash tacked, no need, would have missed him by miles, then blow me, the charlie decides to sit underneath us as we had rounded the windward mark...seems he had no idea how to sail, just let everything fly. In Japan they would call him a Pirrock...ruin his sails doing that. Suggest he reads rules of the road as we were on starboard under the kite, and as he could not ascertain what tack we were on he should have given way, and we were racing!

Recommend you get some more practical experience old bean, too many nancies out there with YM certificates think they know it all - rules in the Solent - 'Dog eat Dog' when it comes to space on the water.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Breoch

Visit site
Re: From the bridge of Kraken

Got talking to a newly "qualified" YM the other night at the club, and asked him whether he found the navigation exercises the most arduous task he had to do. Nope was his reply and back to his pint. A few minutes later I suggested that perhaps compiling all the hours and the overnight passages could be described as at least hard work...Not as easy as I had expected but there was an element far worse than that he replied.

Only having done the shore-based element myself, I was now quite perplexed as to what could be so difficult or painful, so in the end I just asked him what part of the whole thing he had had the most difficulty with.

Oh, that's easy he replied, "It's when they shrank my brain and stretched my gob".

Only a joke

<hr width=100% size=1>

Peppermint

Home in Chilterns, Boat in Southampton, Another bo
Visit site
Racing and cruising I\'ve done both

From the racers viewpoint cruisers are just another element. Unless you the cruiser do something completely crass successful racers won't have a problem with you. The back of the fleet types are another story. They cope with cruisers about as well as they cope with the other elements of racing. It's a bit like motorcycling. Treat every body as a potential hazzard.

Cruisers need to try to understand what these vast fleets of racers are trying to achieve. If you understand what marks they're using, their speed and what point of sailing you can anticipate what they expect of you and what you can expect of them.

In the Solent if both parties keep a good lookout and a steady course and indicate that they are watching each other conflict can be avoided.

I have to say though that even rights and a good lookout might not save you. Last week Southern Sailing had one of it's Yamahas severly damaged in a collision with a 45ft ketch. They were on starboard, had seen him alter to clear them but at the last knockings he rammed their cockpit. Ho Hum!

<hr width=100% size=1>

bigmart

Visit site

If that were the attitude of the racing sailors in Southampton Water, or the Solent, then they would deserve to have their "Sport" severely limited or even banned. I don't think so. Do you?

Martin

<hr width=100% size=1>

jimi

Visit site

Personally I find the idea of a 40 foot racing yacht beating down the middle of Soton Water on Port tack ignoring everything in its way absolutely appalling. Quite apart from anthing else you don't even know its racing until its past and you can see its racing flag. I do'nt think he even saw me ... and I was in a 34 foot boat. And then to compound it 5 minutes later ... beggars belief. I'm not putting up with these plonkers who think they cvan get away with anything. Even from a racing perspective they've gained an unfair advantage over their co-competitors who are abserving the Coll Regs.
Apart from anything else there nearly was a sertious accident .. do'nt find that particularly amusing.
If you can excuse that behaviour ... go and get a life!

<hr width=100% size=1>

jimi

Visit site

"Recommend you get some more practical experience old bean, too many nancies out there with YM certificates think they know it all - rules in the Solent - 'Dog eat Dog' when it comes to space on the water. "

Pardon! Recommend you join the human race, old boy, get some common sense and learn some manners ... sounds as if you nick cars and race 'em the wrong way round the M25.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by jimi on 17/05/2003 20:37 (server time).</FONT></P>

jimi

Visit site
Sigh\'s resignedly ..

oh its you again ... predictable anyway ... unlike the bozo in the yacht

<hr width=100% size=1>

claymore

Visit site
Jamesie
Despite ra fact they we is nae langer pertners in ra we biz - I is no prepared tae let they English Jessies hae ra finel werrd. Youse need tae get ra SP on yin big knuckle shuffler an when ah git masel doon tae Sailbads libation, we'll gie ra bastid ra Kilmarnock Kiss - an ah will personally slip yin windward rail harridan a crippler intae ra bargain - hoos that fer true mates eh, wee manny?

<hr width=100% size=1>regards
Claymore
/forums/images/icons/smile.gif