Selling a Yellowbrick Tracker - re-registration?

sebastiannr

Visit site
I've encountered a serious problem with the Yellowbrick tracker - it's not possible to re-register the unit if you're selling it on.

For anyone unfamiliar with how they work: when buying a new Yellowbrick, you register a username and are given a personal web page (mine is http://my.yb.tl/beckyandsebsail) and your position is updated on that page.

I've finished with my Yellowbrick tracker and now want to sell it. It's in excellent condition and it's a great bit of kit, so it should go to a new owner to make use of it.

The problem is that the guys at Yellowbrick have told me that there's no way to re-register the unit to a different username, so any prospective owner will be stuck with 'beckyandsebsail', and they will have our track on their web page.

Does anyone know if there's a way to get around this?

And if anyone's happy to buy a used but excellent condition 'Yellowbrick V3 Standard' anyway, it's your's for £300 ono (I haven't exactly done a great job of selling it in this post though!)

PM me if you're interested.

Many thanks,

Seb.

tcm

Visit site
Hum, I suppose that anyone wanting a YB will likely want a NEW one, what with these things kinda marketed at the "ooer we're goin to be in the middle of the ocean" market? Good luck selling it though :)

Sandy

duckduckgo.com
Sounds daft to me.

I suspect the unit has a serial number that they attach a name from their computer - they should be able to change that.

I know you can hire them, how do they cope with that. Say I wanted to set up a webpage bloggy thing this week for my expedition to the pub then next month wanted a new challenge and set up a webpage bloggy thing for to the supermarket by frog trip. Hummmmm

I've been inpressed with the kit and it is on my list of things to consider for my wee trip in a few years time, but this might make me look to other bits of kit.

oldvarnish

Visit site
A bit OT, but as a matter of interest a SPOT presents no problems with selling and re-registering.
I would be inclined to ring Yellowbrick again, get a different person, and see if you get different advice. It's amazing how often that works.

Nico

Visit site
How do they re prog for ARC boats I think they give them Yellow brick trackers ?

Surely the problem is that the tracker is connected to a specific web page when you buy one for personal use. The company don't want to set up a new page and delete yours when you sell it, for whatever reason. Nothing technically limiting about it, just commercial.

When you do something like the ARC, Fastnet or RBI they sell loads to the organisers (or lease them) and there is only one web page for everybody. Commercially it's worth all the overhead.

They ought to charge a modest amount and allow you to transfer the item to a new identity/web page.