Selling a boat in France

Jegs

Visit site
Hi,

I've put my boat for sale in France &, having received an acceptable offer, the broker informs me that I need to pay for a survey because tha last one is twenty years old. In the UK I would expect the potential buyer to instruct a surveyor on the basis that he would then have a claim if the survey missed something serious.

Perhaps I am not very trusting, but as this was not mentioned when agreeing terms I wonder if it's simply generating local business.

I should be,much obliged if someone with knowledge of the matter would give me their opinion.

Hopeful thanks,

John G

DavidJ

home in Brum. S37 sold, was in Med Spain.
Visit site
One of the reasons I brought my boat back to the UK to sell were the brokers (in Spain)
eg
“Sign the contract and we will discuss commission“
Brought it back a month ago to Burton Waters and had an offer yesterday which I accepted. Lots of viewings and decent offers ending in one very close to asking price.
Survey next week at the buyers expense of course.

jfm

Visit site
Same here. I have sold 4 boats located in France and in all cases buyer did their own survey for all the reasons listed above, particularly that they wanted reliance on the survey report exactly as OP says. I would just refuse this request.

Portofino

Visit site
Sold a boat in Fr via Sunseeker .Fr acting as broker to a German guy , the buyer paid for the survey .
We did have some French viewings and at no point was i ( the seller ) given the impression I would pay for a survey .
Only the brokers commission on completion.

Whats your with broker contract say ?

The 20 y old comment ……is that in relation ( lost nuance in translation maybe ) of an insurance survey ? Which is a requirement of some insurance underwriters .Maybe that’s what’s he means crossed wires ? There’s no insurance survey .

Jegs

Visit site
Sold a boat in Fr via Sunseeker .Fr acting as broker to a German guy , the buyer paid for the survey .
We did have some French viewings and at no point was i ( the seller ) given the impression I would pay for a survey .
Only the brokers commission on completion.

Whats your with broker contract say ?

The 20 y old comment ……is that in relation ( lost nuance in translation maybe ) of an insurance survey ? Which is a requirement of some insurance underwriters .Maybe that’s what’s he means crossed wires ? There’s no insurance survey .
Thank you for your help. The twenty years refers to when I bought the boat. The broker says that a boat cannot be insured in France without a survey less than 10 years old. Which, if true, can hardly be worth the paper it's written upon.

ATB,
John G

jfm

Visit site
Maybe it can’t be insured with a French insurer, as a matter of commercial practice. But lots of boaters in France are not French and they insure with an insurer in their home country.

mcanderson

Visit site
Paid for my survey in France when we bought. The boat we sold to buy our current boat the buyer paid for lift and survey. Try asking another broker if you know one in your port??

Jegs

Visit site
Gentlemen,

Bank account not yet fattened, but email this morning stating the buyer has agreed to pay for survey because the broker pointed out that the price had been dropped. I suspect that my emails yesterday pointing that numbers of my friends had bought & sold in France & the buyer had always paid may have swung it.

Many thanks to all - I'll come back to confirm the cash has been received - I hope.

ATB,

John G

j24jam

Visit site
Please check your broker is legit, with PI insurance, protected client/ escrow accounts etc.

It sounds like they may not have much experience in selling boats given they asked you to cover the survey costs.