Sell up & Sail away

kennypg

Visit site
I'm seriously considering selling up and sailing off around the world. Is there anywhere that i could read up on living costs, Marina/ toll costs etc. Boat upkeep costs, etc.

I also want to know what would be the least amount of money required to do this for two years? What would be the min size of boat that would do (2 people).

Is there an online resource/ books that would help me on my journey?

Would I be better off going with a 2nd couple and buying a bigger boat? Has someone done this that i could talk to and pick their brain.

Yours,
PGK

<hr width=100% size=1>

Talbot

Visit site
One of the best books for info is <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0713660864/qid=1081612671/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_8_1/202-8302412-5997449>Sell up and Sail</A>
0713660864.02._PE30_SCMZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Sailing of with another couple is a great idea if you already know that you will get along- but you would be well advised to do a number of long journeys together first.
Apart from the boat and equipment, I understand that you should try to have at least £1000 a month.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Abigail

www.sailblogs.com
There is no one single best book, tho 'sell up and sail'' is close to it. It depends on your budget, your sailing ambitions (and those of your partner), your timescale and so on.

We live on a 40' Maxi 120, being fairly new as we moved aboard last June. This is tons of room for two of us. We took 40' as the maximum as we could envisage hauling up 65lb CQR if we really really had to (and the electric windlass failed) but not any bigger. (If you read Lin and Larry Pardey's excellent books you will come across their article on a hurricane which explains why we consider this such a defining measurement.)

The Pardey's have written several good books - Cost Concious Cruiser and Self Sufficient Sailor overlap a bit but are well worth reading for what you're after. Also Annie Hill's Voyaging on a Low Income.

So I would hesitate to say more about what's ideal for anyone without knowing their budget and plans. I would really emphasise that your partner's thoughts are key too - plenty of posts here and elsewhere on the results of failing to take them into account.

I would really hesitate to share with others as a permanent fullt-time living arrangement (as opposed to a specific form of time share) - there are times when even the most besotted of couples and best of friends find a boat at sea quite constricting ....

Hope this helps - and enjoy searching Amazon as well as the boat yards

<hr width=100% size=1>Sarah&Pip

roly_voya

Visit site
Cost is so flexible people can only say what they spend. In fact some people come back with more than they set of with - the Pardies for example are 'professional wanders' and make a very comfortable living. The other extreme may be the people who go for a new boat, sign up for a cruising pack like the ARK and spend thousands. There is literally everthing in between so choose where you want to be, hair shirt and lentals of globle sat phone and eating out.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Vasco

Visit site
The money factor is thoroughly discussed in books like the ones other people have allready mentioned here . It depends on your personal habits and lifestyle and where do you want to go with your boat. You can go with 100£ a month ( I wouldn't do it , but know for a fact that it can be done) provided you have a simple boat that will rarely see a marina , a basic sustenance galley and maintenance that you do yourself. Again , books like "the cost conscious cruiser" or "cruising on a shoestring" will discuss the "next confort levels" of cruising and will give a little insight to start making calculations.
As to size , it's more of the same.It has been done in 26 footers , I personaly think that nthing under 32 should be contemplated .
I strongly advise again shipping with a "couple of friends" , or take the ustmost care, sail all you can and "try it out" before you comit to that solution.

a good website where you'll find most titles is www.bookharbour.com
Good luck

<hr width=100% size=1>

Lost

Visit site
When you get out there, you'll discover people sailing round the world on all sorts of boats and all sorts of sizes.
The most important thing to be aware of (I think) is the on going maintenance and the wear and tear of ocean crossings. Someone we met had added up his costs for each ocean crossing in maintenance terms as 5-10k The farther you travel the more important the upkeep of the boat becomes. Ropes sails swivels blocks rudders all suffer a great deal of wear when used solidly for 3-4 weeks and the bigger the boat the more expensive the haul outs and fittings get!
Two people is fine we found although if you can get a couple of friends for the longer passages of more than a week it makes them more fun...it can get a bit tedious with two ( and tiring) when sailing for three weeks.
We only had time to take a year out and it was worth every penny...
Our boat was a 12 year old Bavaria 390 fantastic boat...but we sold her when we got back! we should have left her in the Azores as its so cheap to park your boat there!!

<hr width=100% size=1>

AndrewJ

Visit site
I'm always entrigued by books on sailing on a budget. Most of them include such notable phrases as "don't buy the expensive imported wine, go with the cheaper domestic." (who can afford wine on a tight sailing budget), or "make sure to use cracked ice made with bottled water to chill your caviar, the ice made from water from the tanks may be tainted and your guests might be able to taste the difference". Marvelous

<hr width=100% size=1>The only easy day was yesterday

Visit site
I met....

Bill & Laurel for the first time one week ago today although I've corresponded with Bill many times on these and other forums over several years.

Wonderful couple, wonderful boat.

They are currently wintering in Levkas and have been living aboard for 30 years.

Steve Cronin

<hr width=100% size=1>The above is, like any other post here, only a personal opinion