Selden Mast Query

Sooty Dog

Visit site
Hi Everyone.
Should the black sliding thing that attaches to the head of the sail be lubricated? I cant seem to coax mine up the mast. Also someone seems to have tightened a screw at the bottom of the assembly that stopped the aluminium tube from sliding upwards. would that have been someone trying to tighten the steel rope to stop it moving in the wind? Anyway, I have loosened this interference screw but can only get the assembly up to the first join.

Any ideas please.

Malcolm

MoodySabre

Visit site
Interpreting your question is a little difficult.
1. Are your referring to the genoa (the front sail)?
2. The reference to ali tubing indicates that there is a furling mechanism. The tube should not slide upwards and the purpose of the screw is to stop it doing so.
3. The black sliding thing is presumably the top swivel - which you attach to the top of the genoa and then pull it up with the halyard (the rope attached to it which probably comes down inside the mast. It may need lubricating to make it swivel easily but it won't need lubricating to make it go up or down.
4. The "steel rope" is the forestay and should be tight - don't play with it.

5. Where are you? Somebody needs to guide through this normally simple procedure. I presume this is a new thing for you.

Sooty Dog

Visit site
moodysabre,
Yes you are right, fairly new to this. It’s a furling main sail. It seems that thesliding piece is now trying to lift about nine inches of ally tubing below it that I have accidentally released by loosening a screw. The shackle that attaches to the head of the sail has some black plastic below it attached to the 9 inches of tubing. I think the tubing is there to protect some adjustments at the lower end of the system. I think ( guess) that the triangular metal piece that carries the shackle had got stuck on the black plastic bit attached to the ally tubing . If this is the case I’m happy to give it a try with a hammer, but I’m not sure and don’t want to make it worse.

Poecheng

Visit site
I am fairly confident you are going to make it worse, very much worse and that 'worse' is going to cost you a lot of money.
Matter for you but my advice would be to hold back and do nothing until you can get someone on your boat that knows what they are doing; this equipment is not maintained percussively.

(meant to be clear, not meant rudely)

MoodySabre

Visit site
I am fairly confident you are going to make it worse, very much worse and that 'worse' is going to cost you a lot of money.
Matter for you but my advice would be to hold back and do nothing until you can get someone on your boat that knows what they are doing; this equipment is not maintained percussively.

(meant to be clear, not meant rudely)
I agree. Malcolm needs help.

nortada

Visit site
I have a Selden rig.

From my experience, a mainsail has either, in-mast reefing or slab reefing, which runs up a groove in the back of the mast.

What you are describing sounds more like foresail rigging. Where the foresail is hoisted in a foil that winds around the forestry.

Without knowledge, any percussive adjustment will be courting disaster and could bring the whole rig down!

Last edited:

Tranona

Visit site
I have a Selden rig.

From my experience, a mainsail has either, in-mast reefing or slab reefing, which runs up a groove in the back of the mast.

What you are describing sounds more like foresail rigging. Where the foresail is hoisted in a foil that winds around the forestry.

Without knowledge, any percussive adjustment will be courting disaster and could bring the whole rig down!
No, he is describing the in mast furling where the mainsail is hoisted on the mandrel inside the mast. Tis is the manual for one version support.seldenmast.com/files/1426855956/595-063-E.pdf although I can't quite identify the bit he has a problem with.

Sooty Dog

Visit site
Hi, it is an in mast furling system. With no sail attached if you look inside at the bottom there is a tube with a red sticker that says "warning do not over tension" and " loosen screw to remove cover" . This tube is stuck hard to the bit you attach the head of the sail to. I have removed the cover screw in error and now the cover tube goes up the mast ( attached to the piece that is attached to the hoisting wire rope) by about a foot. Can't get the cover tube back to where it should be as the angle probably needs to be spot on and it isn't as its welded to the hoisting part that carries the ball bearings ( halyard swivel ??) Surely something just needs a guide tap to free it from 2 covid years of just sat there.

Sooty Dog

Visit site
OK, so I have managed to get the lower cover back in place and found a picture on ebay of the offending part. Its a Halyard swivel type RB Mk III p/n 540-158-01.
The lower black plastic is stuck on the aluminium cover tube that is covering the internal tensioner in the mast.
So, 1. Whack it ??
or
2. WD40 or similar?
or
3. WD40 then whack it??

Many Thanks,

nortada

Visit site
Hi, it is an in mast furling system. With no sail attached if you look inside at the bottom there is a tube with a red sticker that says "warning do not over tension" and " loosen screw to remove cover" . This tube is stuck hard to the bit you attach the head of the sail to. I have removed the cover screw in error and now the cover tube goes up the mast ( attached to the piece that is attached to the hoisting wire rope) by about a foot. Can't get the cover tube back to where it should be as the angle probably needs to be spot on and it isn't as its welded to the hoisting part that carries the ball bearings ( halyard swivel ??) Surely something just needs a guide tap to free it from 2 covid years of just sat there.

Thanks for the clarification. As I have slab reefing my, fully battened main runs up in cars in a groove in the back of the mast so I have no knowledge of your problem.

Sooty Dog

Visit site
Problem solved !!!
Just in case someone is reading this in the future with the same problem. I used a flat blade screwdriver, poked it through the slot in the mast and on to the shackle carrier (not on the bearing carriers) a few taps with an adjustable spanner (note to self - no hammer in toolbox) and it freed up. The black plastic on the halyard swivel sits on the cover tube to a depth of about 0.5 cm and it just needed a bit of help.

Thanks to all who took the time to read my thread and for the support.

Poecheng

Visit site
Trying to understand this - I think you may be referring to this item Selden in mast furling Halyard Swivel Type RB Mk IIl Assembly number 540-158-01 | eBay

If so, the black plastic sleeve should be capable of sliding up and down the aluminium foil (as you know). I would use WD40 or some other freeing agent - lots and leave it a while. And keep doing it until it was free. I wouldn't be whacking anything as the angle you can hit is not in line with the angle you would need and these are delicate parts. Once freed (and it will - it cannot seize on aluminium) then clean up and spray up with MacLube.

Good luck
[posted whilst you were posting the above - excellent news]

Last edited: