Seized Blakes Seacock

Visit site
Try as I may I cannot shift this.It is the large type toilet "exhaust pipe" and has a 5/8 inch square drive top.Does anyone know where I can get a socket to fit this so as I can get more leverage on it to hopefully get it to move or any other ideas? Olewill??? Many thanks, Peter.

Evadne

Visit site
I found it easiest to unbolt the top plate then stick a long drift (metal or wooden bar) through the hole and tap it out with a 2lb club hammer. When the boat is ashore, of course. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Channel Ribs

www.alderneymarine.com
[ QUOTE ]
I found it easiest to unbolt the top plate then stick a long drift (metal or wooden bar) through the hole and tap it out with a 2lb club hammer. When the boat is ashore, of course. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I concur. Having spent days on end trying to do it the not-so-easy-way on more than one ocassion, I can safely say that getting the boat out and giving a tap from the outside with the top plate off is worth while.

Topcat47

Visit site
The extension bar on a socket set makes a good length of drift. Don't be too rough with the hammer though.

I took the top off mine and liberally sprayed it with penetrating oil (not WD40). I'd also tried heat (from a heat gun a torch is not a good idea) all to no avail.

I have a dead hammer (thick plastic filled with lead shot) and a couple of blows of increasing strength dislodged it. If you have to use an engineer's hammer or even a claw hammer, the trick is to start light and increase force gradually, don't get carried away.

Visit site
Do you wish for your daughter to marry Prince William or something?

An odd question I know but isn't the continued use of these antiquated devices somewhat akin to calling the loo a "lavatory"?

I have not yet met an owner of a Blakes who hasn't had this or similar seizing experiences.

Modern nylon seated stainless ball valves are vastly superior both in the ease of use for the sea toilet's "consumers" and for the maintenance guy. Also of course, when the time eventually comes to fit a replacement, the cost of a ball valve is a fraction of that of a "Genuine Blakes".

No disrespect intended, but isn't the ownership of a "Genuine Blakes Seacock" really a bit of snobbishness?

Steve Cronin

Visit site
I have dismantled the top end and tried the broomhandle and even the socket extension bar allied with prodigious thumps but it wont shift.I'm frightened of over doing it and causing some other problem!What about undoing the four bottom bolts and removing the whole device to the vice?Would it come off do you think? Peter.

demonboy

www.youtube.com
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

I found it easiest to unbolt the top plate then stick a long drift (metal or wooden bar) through the hole and tap it out with a 2lb club hammer. When the boat is ashore, of course.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
I concur. Having spent days on end trying to do it the not-so-easy-way on more than one ocassion, I can safely say that getting the boat out and giving a tap from the outside with the top plate off is worth while.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I concur with those who concur.

Evadne

Visit site
It would probably come off with a bit of heat, but I agree with you, if it were me I'd first take it out and give it a bit of attention in a vice. It's not a bad idea to draw the bolts and check them from time to time, even bronze ones don't last forever, and there's always the chance a previous owner has used brass ones.

AndCur

Visit site
Hi

Start by putting the kettle on. Have a cup of coffee. Then use the left over boiling water to pour over the sea cock inside the boat, this will case the bronze to expand slightly. While you are doing this get a mate to firmly tap the sea cock from below with the largest bar you can find. After a few firm taps
it will suddenly release. After its free use car valve grinding paste to recut the taper (Bangor Autoparts will have this), then plenty of grease and rebuild
tightening each side equally until you fell a nice resistance when moving the handle.

Regards

Andrew

vyv_cox

coxeng.co.uk
Re: Do you wish for your daughter to marry Prince William or something?

Our boat has Blake's seacocks installed in the heads and the ball valves elsewhere, including the galley sink drain. I have to agree that the ball valve, with the exception of its handle, is an excellent bit of kit that has probably been in situ for the life of the boat, 20 years. Never gives any trouble. We occasionally have slight problems moving the handle of the Blake's, mostly due to difficult access, but find that regular use prevents total seizure.

I suspect that Prince William can afford a Baby Blake, surely the world's most expensive lavatory, to go with his seacocks.

Visit site
In all seriousness, I find the design....

...totally absurd. It comes from the pre Morris Oxford era and I think might just be branded "Unfit for purpose" if a team of modern engineers were asked to report on it. Far too much metal to metal contact and reliance upon lubricants which have no chance of staying on the jub. Then there's that handle: Oh Dear!

Steve Cronin

Visit site
Totally un-necessary effort...

...replace it with a ball valve. Blakes are liabilities (Unless you just like to tinker rather than sail of course!)

Steve Cronin

Visit site
Heat guns, sprays, lift it out of the water....

HA What a load of old cobblers.

Ditch the Blakes NOW

Decrepid piece of old blacksmithying that belongs on the scrapheap. Doesn't even warrant a place in a museum - simply because it hasn't contributed anything.

Steve Cronin

Malcb

www.virgo-owners.org
Re: Totally un-necessary effort...

Rubbish. Fantastic design. Simple to service, If serviced properly, easy to disassemble, reassemble.

The Blakes sea-cock on my boat needs only the pressure of one finger to turn it, does not leak, and requires less than 10 minutes of service time once a year.

gandy

Aberdeenshire (quite far from the Solent)
Visit site
Re: In all seriousness, I find the design....

Our Blakes in the heads are OK for this season, but the outlet is getting a bit rough. Can you provide a link to these more modern Nylon valves that you're recommending?

If I replace the Blake next winter, there's quite a bit involved because its glassed in on the inside. It might be a good time to consider fitting a better alternative, if there is one.

Visit site

You post proof of my point.

Indeed you DO need to service it AND dismantle it. But why have such a thing that needs these in the first place. It makes as much sense to have the front suspension from a 70s MG on your new Honda Civic just because the kingpins are easy to grease!

Solution:- don't HAVE kingpins ; don't have Blakes.

Steve Cronin

Visit site
Re: In all seriousness, I find the design....

ANY chandler or just to be sure of quality, Lee Sanitation on (I Think) www.leesan.com NO they only sell Blakes and Nylon filled plastic - I nearly sank once due to a filled nylon skin fitting. Try any of the on-line chandlers.

Steve Cronin

Topcat47

Visit site
Re: Do you wish for your daughter to marry Prince William or something?

And use blakes green goo when you re-assemble it......mine seized when using teflon grease and another waterproof type that I can't remember. Duckhams won't seize as it turns to a sort of dry cake and is extrememly frangible.

BTW T thought it was a given that you drive them into the boat from the outside, when using a hammer and drift.

Malcb

www.virgo-owners.org

And your post is definitely proof of my point.

You can service a Blakes, and all they need is a bit of the right grease. If a ball valve sea cock fails then you have to replace.

Just done mine today, it took me less than 10 minutes, came apart easily, regreased and reassembled, simple.

Admit it, you just don't fancy having to service a seacock that is the exit for the heads /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif