Seeking advice on new boat purchase

OllieW

Visit site
New member here, so firstly hi to everyone and I'm after some advice/insight as we are looking to get back into boat ownership now that the family are a bit older.

I am toying with the idea of getting either a Rinker 246 Captiva or a Regal 2250 as I like the idea of a cuddy and this will be predominantly a summer boat that we will use in and around Poole harbour, but want something that could support myself and my son having the odd overnight adventure in the harbour or take the family to Southampton, Cowes etc.

We used to have a SeaRay a few years ago but sold that as we were not using it enough, hence the desire now to get back into it.

I've not fixed up any sea trials yet and plan to do some more research at the boat show, but if any of you have any input into the dilema I would love to hear it.

Thanks

Ollie

DoubleVision

Visit site
Hi Ollie and a warm welcome to the forum. You will find a wealth of knowlege here from many experienced moboaters both old and young and a few dealers I hasten to add very ethical ones. Cue Jez!
For what my advice is worth I would find the Rinker and Regal a bit slammy for Poole Bay and the Solent chop. I would be inclined for the same money to go for an older Fairline Targa 31 or Sunseeker Portofino 31/32. They both have excellent build quality and deep V hulls and have faily firm second hand values. What ever you go for I hope you have as much fun as we do which is alot.
Cheers Paul /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif
ps If you are considering a new boat you need to talk to forumite Jezbanks who markets a pretty mean 24 footer with a fantastic soft riding hull called the Westline.

BOATKID

Visit site
bit of a difference between a 22-24' boat to a 31' - would you not say !

Rinker & regal - both good boats IMHO - they do say that rinkers are good sea boat being that they are slightly heavier

again IMHO

Whitelighter

Visit site
With an intro like that, how can I refuse /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif.

Of the two boats you mention, I would go towards the Rinker. I know a few people who have owned Rinkers (some are members on here) and they all seem to be very happy bunnies. Also, as DV says the area outside of Poole harbour can be quite lively, so the extra length of the 246 (and therefor weight) will pay dividends.

DV is right to suggest looking at an older boat, as you get more LOA for you £. However, with increased length comes extra mooring fees, and with increased age there are greater maintenance costs and it is quite nice to have a dealer to fix stuff foc if (when?) things go wrong.

The best advice is go to SIBS since we are so close, have a look at everything in your size and/or price bracket and get a feel for what is out there. Spend some time chatting to the guys on the stands, they should be willing to talk to you and draw up a short list. Don't be fooled by show only offers designed to make you part with your cash, they can nearly always be matched post show anyway - take things at your pace, do a few seatrials and you will end up with a boat that suits you and you can really enjoy.

Nautorius

Visit site
Hi Ollie and welcome.

Both boats are great large cuddy craft and more than capable for what you want. As you had a Searay consider one of Searay 215 ec and also a nice Monterey 218lc .

Other great boats are Chapparrals which have amazing hulls! If you want a pure day/overnight warm weather cuddy try a Cranchi

These are the best types around. If you want Value consider Bayliner 212, Glastron 209 and Larson cabrios.

Also consider the Scandi Boats such as Aquador 23 DC or a Westline 24

Cheers

paul /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

BrendanS

Visit site
You won't have any problems at all with the Regal around Poole and on runs to Solent etc, I have the slightly smaller 2150 though almost identical hull, and have done the Poole/Solent run many times when much larger boats have turned back due to sea conditions.

One of the ybw boating mags did a write up on the 2250 a while back, and their comments on the hull was that it's performance/handling was technically superb, or something to that effect.

BrendanS

Visit site
Because Jezbanks has started a UK dealership, and people like promoting new businesses to give them a headstart

If you want a more detailed answer, then probably best to start a new thread, as it will distract from Ollie getting the answers he's after

jimg

Visit site
That thought went through my mind! It is not exactly that they have a track record in the UK or a large base of happy customers here?

dpb

Visit site
We use a 21ft Bayliner 652 to do exactly as and where you describe and find it handles the conditions fine, (lets face it we do not go out in gale force winds when doing this sort of boating!) I am sure the boats you mention will be fine also, having had an 18ft Rinker myself in the past.

KCook

needsabeach.com
Pedigree may or may not be an issue for you. Different strokes for different folks. However, the quality with Regal is significantly better than Bayliner, Glastron, Larson, or Rinker. Thus you usually pay more for the Regal. Or at least that is the way it is with these brands over here where they are made.

Kelly Cook

OllieW

Visit site
Thanks all, some interesting input and plenty of food for thought so far.

I've drawn up a shortlist of boats to look at and the Regal is in top spot still with Rinker, Cranchi and a couple of other manufacturers in close contention.

Roll on the boat show and hope to see some of you out next summer in Poole harbour. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Cheers

Ollie

gjgm

Visit site
what you havent mentioned is where you intend to keep it (trailer/dry stack/ marina) or a budget. I cant quite see how you are closing in on Rinker and Regal as they are so different in style,build,handling. With the Rinker you have the practicality of cruising a bit more, on the Regal more slim lines and performance. I d have thought if you like one boat, you wouldnt be that enthused by the other.
If we say up to about 24ft, then there are a host of boats, with different emphasis. Best thing is to have a good look about and narrow down a bit more what style/use you are really after. You dont say used or new? Personally, I'd go for a boat 1-2 years old. At this size, the cuddy will hardly ever have been used, the engine maybe 100 hours, and the hull probably only has another 50 years left in it /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif Meantime, someone else has sorted out those new boat niggles, and you save a chunk! Some obvious others are Monterey,Maxum,Chapparal, er.. the one at Sandman brokers in Poole..or Beneteau Flyer for a different syle.. pretty endless list really.. but its what makes your pulse race, not ours /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Alistairr

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
However, the quality with Regal is significantly better than Bayliner, Glastron, Larson, or Rinker.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry, but i can't agree with that comment!
Regal is a very good make and very well built, but its no better than Rinker!
I had a Rinker 232 Captiva Cuddy, and friends have had a couple of Regals, and when you start taking panels off, the Rinker was significantly better built.

But each to there own.

Cheers

Al.

BrokerBen

N/A
Visit site
I would suggest also looking at some european boats, like Jeanneau Cap Camarats for example, which I admit I sell however for piece of mind I can recommend one. They come fully compliant to the regulations and their history and often service history can be easily traced.

Come down to Universal Marina on the Hamble and we'll show you round some options /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Nick_H

www.ybw-boatsforsale.com
Here's my two cents, having bought a cuddy and then quickly changed it for a small cruiser. For a small increase in size and cost, you get so much more useability in the cruiser, as they generally have two berths instead of one, a closed off toilet/shower, and a permanent cooker and often a fridge. It makes a weekend away loads of fun, and allows you to take kids or friends with you.

nicololo

Visit site
Hi Ollie
Would have to agree with Alistair, I have a Rinker 232 Captiva, it is just two years old - fantastic boat, purchased in March this year. Quality and finsh every bit as good as Regal. It's our third boat having started with an open cockpit Draco with no accomodation, then a Chris Craft with 4 berts and now back to a cuddy. have spent more nights on the Rinker in 6 months than 21/2 years on the CC.
All dependent on personal choice/requirements, but recommend the Rinker
regards
Mark

Whitelighter

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
why do people keep endorsing westline - how many people have actually seen or been on one !!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Not many yet, but you are all welcome to come have a looksee at SIBS if you like /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Nautorius

Visit site
Boatkid,

Where did I endorse the Westline???? I endorsed the boats I have been on/owned at the top but then said

"Also consider the Scandi Boats such as Aquador 23 DC or a Westline 24"

I did not endorse either. If you want to be Pedantic and churlish then get your facts straight!!!!

Oh Hum....I am trying to help and NOT promote any type of boat. To show how Independent I was being I said to 'look' at the Aquador 23DC...I have a 23HT for sale and so did not recommend them on purpose!

He asked for advice, I gave it!

Rant over

Paul /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

rickp

Visit site
Wasn't Boatkid (and 1971Lou) the one who had a go at Jez when the BMB was up for sale? I guess we know his agenda now...

Rick