securing a stern line to the beach

dgadee

Visit site
Another asset to consider are rock climbers pitons. Hammer one into a crack in a rock and you have an instant, or almost instant, anchoring point. The security of the devices is good - if you find a rock with a reasonable crack in it.

In reality you want a carabiner to fit the eye of the piton (also available where you buy your pitons).

You do need a hammer - any old (or new) hammer will do.

If you don't have any pitons handy take a few short pieces of reinforcing bar/rod - they will also be secure if hammered into a crack in a rock. If positioned carefully they ,make good anchoring points (commonly used by crayfishermen in Tasmania

In our last visit to the Baltic it was interesting the number of yachts that had no anchor on the bow but had a (bow) roller on the stern - so a stern roller and the rode led into a stern locker - housing a windlass. The idea of a modern anchor appears to have left the Balts cold - Bruce were very common. The reason for anchoring bow in is to protect the rudder. Unlike a Med moor that is to a pier with depth right upto the pier edge the anchorages in the Baltic are commonly to natural features that might could appendages. Scandanavian yachts are commonly designed, or have the relevant equipment to allow boarding from the bow (Passerelle - but sized to fit the bow).

Scandinavian chandlers and suppliers of components for yachts offer a number of items for Baltic mooring - a concept that would fit well in other parts of the world.

Think outside the box - anchoring is not restricted to deploying rode and anchor from the bow

Know how: Expanding your Anchoring Repertoire

Jonathan

View attachment 130324View attachment 130325

Take care, stay safe

Jonathan

Looking at this myself to go in bow first. Notice these images don't have chain. And how do they pull them back in?

Neeves

Visit site
Looking at this myself to go in bow first. Notice these images don't have chain. And how do they pull them back in?
Sorry - but I don't understand the question :(

How do they pull (WHAT?) back in?

Conventional windlass can operate with rope, drum winches (or windlass), as used on many small runabouts, operate with wire or rope and are used on substantial vessels (I've seen drum winches with wire rodes on Italian fishery protection vessels of 50'. Many rodes on drum winches use primarily rope with short sections of chain. You can, of course, hand retrieve a rope rode and in the Baltic you don't need to worry so much about scope (its not deep anyway) as you are also, always, secured at the bow. A drum winch in a stern locker is not unusual.

In the Baltic many of the locations for anchoring are equipped with rings, secured with pins hammered into the rocky shore. We have a similar practice here in Oz where in Tasmania (and maybe other locations) the local cray fishermen have found tiny inlets (geologic faults), not much bigger than the vessel, where they have hammered rebar into cracks and they can secure - though it looks decidedly too snug for a short crewed fibreglass yacht.

As an aside when we changed from 8mm to 6mm chain I did think of a drum winch - but 75m of 6mm chain meant the drum would be too large and the weight too much for the existing construction. Since then I have discovered I could have used a 4mm high tensile chain which might have made a drum winch possible - but it was too late we had the 6mm chain and new windlass with 6mm gypsy and my wallet was already looking very deflated :(

Now - have I answered the question, or missed it completely :)

Jonathan

BabaYaga

Visit site

Stern anchor winches are quite common here, especially on medium sized mobos. Usually installed internally. Sometimes chain is used, but more often leaded line. For an anchor rode used in this fashion chafe from the sea bed is not much of an issue,
An installation example:
Nimbus 28 DC - Sleipner AB

dgadee

Visit site
Stern anchor winches are quite common here, especially on medium sized mobos. Usually installed internally. Sometimes chain is used, but more often leaded line. For an anchor rode used in this fashion chafe from the sea bed is not much of an issue,
An installation example:
Nimbus 28 DC - Sleipner AB

That clarifies. Never heard of leaded line. Thanks.

Neeves

Visit site
I think leaded line is made by a number of rope makers - but I've never actually met anyone who used it.

Lancelin Home, who opened production of yachting cordage a couple of years ago in Sydney told me that their parent made some leaded dyneema for a rode. Its a novel idea as the line sinks, and dyneema floats (and would really spoil your day if you got it round your prop) and presumably tries to combine the idea of catenary and strength in a light rode. If you use it in combination, as a Med moor, Baltic moor or with shore lines then only one component needs to have elasticity, or catenary.

As an aside the people who make the Ultra anchor(Boyuz, not sure of spelling) started their business selling their Quick Line reels, flat reels for tape and sell a number of reels with different textiles - one being dyneema tape. Reels for tape are quite common as they allow you to store the rode, or shore lines, very neatly - though you do need to 'pack' the reel by hand.

Lateral Thinking & Anchoring - Practical Sailor

Jonathan

Last edited:

Maatsuyker

Visit site
The other consideration is removing the steel bar when it is time to leave. If you hammer it into the ground, whether it's shale, sand or earth it is going to have a lot of holding power and be very difficult to remove without a purpose built post lifter.

Neeves

Visit site
The other consideration is removing the steel bar when it is time to leave. If you hammer it into the ground, whether it's shale, sand or earth it is going to have a lot of holding power and be very difficult to remove without a purpose built post lifter.

Unless you anchor only once or carry a sheaf of steel bars then if shore anchoring is your thing and your only option - then like a normal anchor.......

....... maybe you will need to retrieve your steel bar each time.

:)

Maybe I'm a romantic but .... I don't , cannot, believe the OP was considering carrying 40 steel bars and leaving them impaled on beaches

Jonathan