Seatalk/SeatalkNG Setup

Dino

Visit site
image001.jpegI’m about to fit a Raymarine Axiom 9 to replace an old C80. I am looking to connect a pair of Raymarine i40’s (speed and depth) and I also want to integrate my old Autohelm Type 100 course computer and ST6002 head unit. I have read that the best way to integrate the autopilot is through an Actisense NGW-1 ISO. I also have a Seatalk to Seatalk NG Converter and a SeatalkNG 5 Way Connector.
Am I correct in thinking that I connect the two i40’s to a Seatalk 3 way block and the other connector in the 3 way block connects to the yellow terminal in the Seatalk to SeatalkNG Converter.
Can I daisychain the ST6002 head unit into one of the Seatalk cables from the i40’s?
Do I connect the Type 100 Seatalk terminal to the Actisense NGW-1 and then use an NMEA2000 to SeatalkNG adapter/cable to connect into the SeatalkNG Backbone?
Does my system look okay?
Any help greatly appreciated?

harvey38

Visit site
I'm back at the boat tomorrow and we have vert similar set ups but I'm pretty sure you can't plug into a blue socket, only terminate or link to another con. block and the Type 100 computer is SeaTalk so should sit in your yellow ST circuit. Hopefully Rainbow Paul should be along to put things straight 👍

Dino

Visit site
Apparently The ST to STNG converter was never tested for with the Type 100 course computer so they recommend converting NMEA0183 to NMEA2k with the Actisense NGW-1
I'm back at the boat tomorrow and we have vert similar set ups but I'm pretty sure you can't plug into a blue socket, only terminate or link to another con. block and the Type 100 computer is SeaTalk so should sit in your yellow ST circuit. Hopefully Rainbow Paul should be along to put things straight 👍

PaulRainbow

Visit site
View attachment 156220I’m about to fit a Raymarine Axiom 9 to replace an old C80. I am looking to connect a pair of Raymarine i40’s (speed and depth) and I also want to integrate my old Autohelm Type 100 course computer and ST6002 head unit. I have read that the best way to integrate the autopilot is through an Actisense NGW-1 ISO. I also have a Seatalk to Seatalk NG Converter and a SeatalkNG 5 Way Connector.
Am I correct in thinking that I connect the two i40’s to a Seatalk 3 way block and the other connector in the 3 way block connects to the yellow terminal in the Seatalk to SeatalkNG Converter.
Can I daisychain the ST6002 head unit into one of the Seatalk cables from the i40’s?
Do I connect the Type 100 Seatalk terminal to the Actisense NGW-1 and then use an NMEA2000 to SeatalkNG adapter/cable to connect into the SeatalkNG Backbone?
Does my system look okay?
Any help greatly appreciated?
If you connect the ST6002 to one of the ST ports on the course computer, then connect the second course computer port to the ST bus, you won't need the NGW or the converter cable, it frees up a STNG port and if you power the autopilot separately it can work in stand alone mode if other equipment fails.

You can then correctly terminate the 5 way STNG block and connect the Fusion to the now empty STNG port on the converter.

EDIT: Noting your comments ref the type 100 and the converter, i'm not so sure there is an issue, i think it's just a recommendation in case. I would be inclined to try it before spending more money onthe NGW.

That said, even if you do fit the NGW, you should still connect the 6002 to the course computer, rathe than the ST bus, so it can still work in stand alone mode.

Last edited:

KompetentKrew

Visit site
Yes, it’s a Seatalk backbone T to include the Fusion stereo.
Do you mean like this? Raymarine SeaTalkNG BackBone T-Piece Connector - A06028

That's not a terminator.

An NMEA 2000 / SeaTalkNG backbone needs to be terminated at each end, as illustrated in this pic - that's what makes it the backbone. Everything else is connected to the NMEA 2000 backbone by drop-cables.

Consider the NMEA 2000 multi-T's such as in this pic - they are just four T's joined up; the backbone runs through the back of them, but they don't contain a terminator themselves because they can be in the middle of the backbone or connected to each other and terminated at each end. You cannot connect 6 NMEA 2000 devices to one - they are a backbone with connections for 4 drop cables (4 devices), which may be terminated at each end or extended. You need a male terminator for one end and a female terminator at the other end, or I think an inline terminator may be substituted.

I assume that these flat Raymaine SeatalkNG 5-way connectors act in the same way, but I don't know.

Last edited:

KompetentKrew

Visit site
I thought I could terminate at a Tee - one outlet to the Fusion stereo, one to connect to the end of the SeatalkNG 5 way backbone. And a terminator like this in the other outlet
View attachment 156237
Yes, you can. The T becomes part of the backbone.

Please forgive me - I didn't understand before that you intended to terminate there.

Dino

Visit site
Thanks folks, was just trying to work it all out. I’ve been Googling all this for ages and I’m trying to work out how it all integrates.

PaulRainbow

Visit site
Do you mean like this? Raymarine SeaTalkNG BackBone T-Piece Connector - A06028

That's not a terminator.

An NMEA 2000 / SeaTalkNG backbone needs to be terminated at each end, as illustrated in this pic - that's what makes it the backbone. Everything else is connected to the NMEA 2000 backbone by drop-cables.

Consider the NMEA 2000 multi-T's such as in this pic - they are just four T's joined up; the backbone runs through the back of them, but they don't contain a terminator themselves because they can be in the middle of the backbone or connected to each other and terminated at each end. You cannot connect 6 NMEA 2000 devices to one - they are a backbone with connections for 4 drop cables (4 devices), which may be terminated at each end or extended. You need a male terminator for one end and a female terminator at the other end, or I think an inline terminator may be substituted.

I assume that these flat Raymaine SeatalkNG 5-way connectors act in the same way, but I don't know.
They do act in the same way.

Dino

Visit site
Hi Paul,
I have a few more questions you might be able to help me with.
Do I need a separate power feed to the ST and STNG systems?
I have two ST 3 way blocks and I will need to connect the 2 x i40’s, the ST6002 and a connection to the ST-STNG Converter.
Can I connect the two i40’s to one 3 way block, then run another ST cable to the second 3 way block. Then I will just have two connections to the second ST 3 way block, the ST6002 and the ST-STNG converter.
I already have the NGW unit. I have run out of Seatalk connections so can I still connect the Type 100 thru the NGW to the ST-STNG converter?
They do act in the same way.

Last edited:

PaulRainbow

Visit site
Hi Paul,
I have a few more questions you might be able to help me with.
Do I need a separate power feed to the ST and STNG systems?
Power the STNG network, which will then power the ST bus via the converter.
I have two ST 3 way blocks and I will need to connect the 2 x i40’s, the ST6002 and a connection to the ST-STNG Converter.
Can I connect the two i40’s to one 3 way block, then run another ST cable to the second 3 way block. Then I will just have two connections to the second ST 3 way block, the ST6002 and the ST-STNG converter.
I already have the NGW unit. I have run out of Seatalk connections so can I still connect the Type 100 thru the NGW to the ST-STNG converter?

You need to connect the ST6002 to the Type 100, then connect the type 100 to the NGW, then the NGW to the STNG network.

That just leaves you with 2 i40's and the converter cable to go to a 3 way block.

If you did need 4 ST connections you could connect the 2 x 3 way blocks together as you describe.

Dino

Visit site
I have another question, sorry.
I have an Actisense NGW1 that I want to connect to one of the Seatalk connections on the Type 100 Course Computer. It has the standard red,black,blue,white,bare cables.
I know that red goes to red, black goes to grey.
What do I connect to the yellow Seatalk connector? Blue or white?