Seasickness - alternative remedies

pugwash

Visit site
I'm always seasick and for short trips rely on scalopomine pills or patches. However I'm now facing an extended rough trip lasting weeks rather than days and I'm reluctant to use drugs for long periods. Does anybody have true hands-on experience of any of the following alternative remedies? Can they really work?
- Homeopathy
- Acupuncture
- Chinese medicine
- Hypnosis
No diatribes about toughing it out, please -- I've toughed it out over a bucket often enough! :)
Many thanks

<hr width=100% size=1>

duncan

Visit site
there have been 2 long threads on the subject of sea sickness over the last couple of months and many things recommended but ginger was, I believe, the nearest (and only) thing that fits any of your 'list'.
Suggest you browse them in case my memory isn't up to it!
The other alternative is aclimatization - go out for short trip get to feeling unwell but not throwing up and come in, recover fully and then head back out about 12 hours or so later. Follows on from the fact that most people that suffer don't recur on the same trip once they recover.

<hr width=100% size=1>

craigbalsillie

Visit site
The little bands that you get for your wrists that apply pressure (acupressure) are pretty good I believe.

A friend suffers really badly with travel sickness and he uses them all the time in buses / trains etc and is okay.

My wife tried them when she had morning sickness, wasn't altogether a roaring succes unfortunately, kept it at bay when it was mild but when it kicked in.......

the bands came flying out the toilet one day in mid session,, it was quite funny really..
Might be worth a try...

<hr width=100% size=1>

chippie

Visit site
In addition to whatever natural remedy you end up choosing, I have found that a stomach full of starch eg white bread or boiled rice helps reduce the effects for me, maybe by soaking up excessive stomach acids. Try it , it may help.

Cheers

<hr width=100% size=1>

snowleopard

Visit site
i feel lousy for the first day or two then i'm bullet-proof. most people are similar. do you know yourself to be different? i know there are a few unfortunates who never get over it but they are only around 1% of the population.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Twister_Ken

'ang on a mo, I'll just take some bearings
Visit site
If any body wants a pair of relief bands, you may be able to find them somewhere in the vicinty of Les Hanois. That's where I threw them overboard, anyway.

<hr width=100% size=1><A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.writeforweb.com/twister1>Let's Twist Again</A>

Chris_Robb

Visit site
Following has helped:

Peanuts - tried them last week on first (V rough) channel crossing. Suffering from slight nausia - worked.

Deep Breathing. When I feel slightly queasy - I deep breath - works

I suspect these will only work in ealry stages of queasyness.

Pot: My daughter swares by it - but since narrow escape following boarding by french customs - now banned from boat! Never tried it so I don't know.

<hr width=100% size=1>

claymore

Visit site
This was the subject of a realtime asynchronous debate in the Lord of the Isles just this weekend. The opening gambit was that having cleaned ourselves out with boat purchase, it becomes a tall order when we become reliant on a bit of ginger in order to enjoy said investment.
It is my considerable pleasure to be able to announce a complete cure for seasickness to honourable members. I am at present unable to disclose finer details until such time as ParaHandy has sorted out the patent and Jimi has done a job on the numbers - but you will not be disappointed.

<hr width=100% size=1>regards
Claymore
/forums/images/icons/smile.gif

mldpt

Visit site
Hi Claymore
I hope this is not one of your jokes, I look forward to the antiseasickness answer as I still suffer. and secondly have you sold Claymore, as when I was in Whitehaven last week or the week before somebody was on your boat and I was assured it was not you, anyway I came over to chat and there was nobody there and we were off back to Fleetwood, the new shower block is great isnt it. I had a racing lift to wash off and antifoul Paget's Lady a great service.
Regards Mike.

<hr width=100% size=1>

claymore

Visit site
That Claymore is not my Claymore but an impostor Claymore - and a tatty one at that who often gets things wrong and then people think it was me.
I'm planning a trip over there with a pot of paint to do a spot of renaming.
Not heard from you for a while - how's things? The nephew is sailing in some Laser champs at Largs in August so I've said they can use the boat to live on for the week. What would you think was a fair price to the Stothert Millions?
The Seasickness cure is not a wind up and will revolutionise sailing. We may be looking for a discreet group of investors who are not averse to making their fortune for a modest outlay - I'll be putting you on the list Mike.

Claymore

pugwash

Visit site
Hypnosis...???

This will be a very long voyage, perhaps two months in the Southern Ocean in a fishing vessel. Ginger and deep breathing work okay when you're crossing the Solent but not in mid-Channel slop in the dark. The wrist bands don't stop me throwing up but I don't feel quite so bad about it. The electric relief band saved my two daughters from morning sickness but I found it useless at sea because I had to keep it exactly in place with the other hand. A visiting surgeon of note suggested I stick it to the junction box of nerves on the side of my neck, the place where the cop tries to hit you with his truncheon, but I haven't been game enough to try that yet. I have sailed the Atlantic chewing Kwells all the way so I know what I'm in for, which is why I wondered if hypnosis or acupuncture could work. I followed the other posts on this subject but don't recall ithem coming up. I seem to remember John Ridgway tried it on his first race around the world and it didn't work very well. Anybody else had a go?
Thanks for all your suggestions.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Twister_Ken

'ang on a mo, I'll just take some bearings
Visit site
Potential problem

You'll need someone who knows the healthcare regs back to front. Any legit pharma cure has to be tested from breadsticks to brandy before getting near the market. And that's money, money, money.

Or if you want to selll it as an old folk cure (no insult intended!) and avoid the drug regs, how do you paptent it?

<hr width=100% size=1><A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.writeforweb.com/twister1>Let's Twist Again</A>

claymore

Visit site
Re: Potential problem

All will be revealed - the cheques in the post to the patents office

Claymore

claymore

Visit site
lucky sod - I've never got away with anything less than a candlelit dinner and several pints of babycham.

Claymore

Ohdrat

Visit site
Re: Baby Cham???

Cooooooooorrrrrrrrrrrrrr that's cheap.. I don't 'spose the Babycham has anything to do with your patent anti seasickness treatment has it/forums/images/icons/wink.gif

Can't be anything to do with getting blind drunk at least not on Babycham anyway/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

<hr width=100% size=1>

JamesS

Visit site
1. Try Mercalm - only seems available in France - but works well.

2. Ginger cake or biscuits, not sure about the medicinal qualities but it does taste nice coming up as well as going down.

3. The old favourite - try sitting down under a tree.

Cheers

<hr width=100% size=1>

StephenSails

Visit site
That was a bit silly given their cost, or have you got money to burn... if they didnt work for you - Ebay could have been the place to get some of your dosh back. I am amazed that they didnt work but I guess we are all human and all different.

Cheers

Stephen

<hr width=100% size=1>http://www.yachtinguniverse.com