sealine218 towing weight

G

Does anyone have a Sealine 218 and know the weight of it as we are hoping to purchase one for regular towing and need to know weight for best trailer option. Thanks alot

G

There was an article in MBM a year ago where someone was towing on of these, he reckoned on 2500kg, thats with a volvo 171 fitted. If you have a bigger engine + fuel + water + luggage etc.. could be more. I have a Cruisers 224 which is very similar size to a Sealine, quoted weight is 1760Kg, but when I weighed it with the trailer, all up weight was 2950kg !! so be careful, you will need a 4-wheel drive. Make sure its a big 4-wheel drive as well, not a Freelander or something, my Isuzu is rated to tow 3000kg and it struggles with this load. The trailer is a Hallmark rollar coaster 7, rated to 2500kg, which is just adequate I would say.

Hope that is all of some use

G

You'll need about the heaviest duty trailer you can get - a 3500KG model - and I agree with Chris - the only vehicles are Range Rover, Landcruiser, LWB Shogun, Discovery, Trooper etc - no toy 4x4's will do it! To be honest, towing that lump around is hard work - are you sure you want to? Look at dry berthing it...

G

Thanks for all the info. We have a long wheel base Shogun so hopefully that will be adequate. We have looked at trailers with a carrying capacity of 2500 kg so we are in the right region Thanks once again

G

As previous reply we have LWB Shogun. We have thought long and hard about this but after 15 years on the same stretch of water we feel like trying pastures new We cannot afford to take marina moorings on the coast and do not fancy swinging moorings. Our plans are most weekend to take the new boat to our local river about 2 miles away but on bank hols and our holidays go further afield. If we go to the coast maybe in the summer for a couple of weekends running we will try to pick up casual moorings there or I have found at say Wareham farmers who provie storage under cover for £8 per week so if at Poole this could be a possibility. we are going from a 30 foot boat though so the first couple of weekends could be interesting!! Lets hope sitting in a picturesque harbour with a glass of wine on a balmy summers evening makes up for all of this hassel with towing!!! Regards Cindy

G

Cindy, does this mean you\'ve sold your Mirage? Please let us know. NM

G

Re: Cindy, does this mean you\'ve sold your Mirage? Please let us know. NM

Thanks for remembering much appreciated. Well hopefully, we have a deposit on her and the person has had someone look over the inside and mechanics and is having her out tomorrow to inspect bottom[not a proper survey] so fingers crossed the balance should be paid by the weekend. We have taken their boat in on p/ex and are leaving her at the marina where our Mirage was on brokerage. In the meantime we have found a Sealine that we are really interested in and are probably going to see her this weekend.hence the weight questions in this forum. Looks like we might be on the water again by the start of the season-all fingers and toes crossed. But of course we still have the p/ex boat to sell so you never know in 12 months time I could be looking for tips on how to sell a smaller diesel engined boat!!! Musn't joke because with our luck that will probably happen Will let the forum know on Monday how we got on. Thanks once again for your interested Cindy.

G

My advice for what its worth is buy a trailer up to the 3500kg legal maximum this will give you plenty of room for those extra bits of kit. A new 218 weighed about 2000kg -cant give exact figures since boats were mostly handbuilt weights can vary by as much as 10%.Trailer weighs a further 750kg so that leaves you 750kg to play with-its not much,100kg for the anchor and chain,75 kg for the tender and then theres your shoes and the beer!

The guy with the 215 in the test of time is a good friend (MBM Sept 99) but i still think hes off his rocker. Hes been towing the Sealine with saloon cars for the past 14 years his current car is a 3litre Senator with spring assistors and a gearbox oil cooler.He swares by it but with agood 4x4 towing is a fanastic thing to do.In the past 2 years alone we've covered the west coast of Scotland to as far as Normandy and this year we hope to get to the Med. Hope this helps.

G

Thanks for info. have e mailed Sealine to see if they have any info on this model but I think your weights are spot on. Like you say a good 4x4 is essential and luckily we already have that. We are loking forward to exploring pastures new after being restricted to a local cruising ground with our 30 footer for the last 15 years due to cost of cranage haulage etc. Your last holiday and thoughts for this year sound good although might wait a few years before trying abroad to get a bit of launching and recovery practice under our belts!! Friends who have changed boats to do the same as us are dead keen on trying France / Spain so maybe in a few years time Cindy

G

I tow a Sealine 240. One of the great things about towing is the total freedom of where to go. We have done Yugoslavia, Italy, Elba, North Spain(Med)This year Sardinia. Once you get on the motorway you won't know it's there. Boats are a much better shape than caravans to tow but use a good damper thingy. I use an Isusu Trooper 3litre. The trailor manufacturers never put enough rollers on the bottom. Buy four more ...easy to fit and distributes the weight much better...Load the car not the boat...have fun

David

G

Thanks for info David. We have looked at trailers and purchasing extra sets of rollers for ease of launching. We are going to look at 2 Sealine 218's tomorrow so hopefully one will be suitable Cindy

G

Having just gone the other way I woud suggest that the real benefits of towing/trailering revolve around 'pastures new' rather than round the corner - and weekends just don't give you any time to enjoy it! If you can get abroad then so much the better - North Brittany is 'ever changing' and the med warm! Good luck - and get more time in the water than on the road.

G

We are waiting to collect new purchase next weekend and have ordered trailer so the books are out for ideas. thanks for info Cindy

Attachments

• 3945.jpg
    3945.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 2
  • 3946.jpg
    3946.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 2
  • 3947.jpg
    3947.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 2
  • 3948.jpg
    3948.jpg