Sealine S24 v S23 or 25

BruceK

Visit site
Personally I dont think a 10k difference is what you should base your criteria on. Most boats in the price bracket you are looking at will eat that in a couple of seasons if they need any sort of substantial repair. I would buy the best value boat in terms of condition and ongoing maintenance. A simple thing like a tatty canopy cover for instance could easily take a big chunk out of the difference and yet the state of the canopy may be considered secondary if the boat is in otherwise immaculate condition, but it will still cost to repair. So many variables to this theme. The temptation is to consider both models side by side as if new. But they are not. Each will have varying degrees of wear that makes each prospect entirely unique

Last edited:

ari

Visit site
Absolutely agree with this. I'm not sure it's a decision you can make in general terms (other then financially whether you can afford it in the first place).

Go and look at some boats, it will soon become abundantly clear whether that extra £10K is money well spent (but do bear in mind that unlike buying a holiday, a good proportion of it will come back, which was the point of the discussion before).

Scubadoo

Visit site
Personally I dont think a 10k difference is what you should base your criteria on. Most boats in the price bracket you are looking at will eat that in a couple of seasons if they need any sort of substantial repair. I would buy the best value boat in terms of condition and ongoing maintenance. A simple thing like a tatty canopy cover for instance could easily take a big chunk out of the difference and yet the state of the canopy may be considered secondary if the boat is in otherwise immaculate condition, but it will still cost to repair. So many variables to this theme. The temptation is to consider both models side by side as if new. But they are not. Each will have varying degrees of wear that makes each prospect entirely unique

Totally agree, best to go and have a look at a few Sealines, you will find some quite neglected boats out there, you can get an idea just by looking at some online pictures. You may fined a very well maintained S24 and a poorly maintained S23 or vice versa, only you can decide.

Canopies are expensive and can cost up to £3k for these models, fyi mine was done for about £1.7k.

Good luck with the search and do keep us posted, or if you have any questions with these models, plenty of us here that can help.

CX54WEK

Visit site
Good point about finding one in good condition and with a good spec as adding a few extras can easily add a big percentage to the sale price.

Our canopies were £1300 but that is a good while ago now.

A surprising amount of these boats don't have heating, that can easily add another £2-3k depending how much of the work you do yourself. If you want a bow thruster, thats another £3k. Electric anchor winch add another £1.5k.

Some of the boats that crop up at our marina brokerage have no or very basic nav gear. Again you are into the thousands to add that.

You really need to draw up a list of what you want on the boat and try and find that in the model you decide is best for you.

petem

www.fairlineownersclub.com
All good info but I seem to remember asking about the difference between S24 and S23/S25 and if a difference of £10k was worth it. Not so much a lesson in boat pricing

Dennis

Dennis, if you've got a spare £10k lying around then by the S23/25. If you haven't then buy the S24. Depreciation will be the same / minimal for both.

Pete

ari

Visit site
I think what's missing here is a healthy dose of Man Maths. Clearly it's far cheaper in the long run to buy the more expensive boat.

(I'll leave the justification/equation up to the OP, but there's bound to be something he can use).

petem

www.fairlineownersclub.com
I think what's missing here is a healthy dose of Man Maths. Clearly it's far cheaper in the long run to buy the more expensive boat.

(I'll leave the justification/equation up to the OP, but there's bound to be something he can use).

Simple....

Lower running / repair costs, it being a newer boat. Newer boat will put off the cost of a replacement. Nicer boat means less time in the pub.

BruceK

Visit site
Simple....

Lower running / repair costs, it being a newer boat. Newer boat will put off the cost of a replacement. Nicer boat means less time in the pub.

This coming from a man who had the longest running thread(s) in internet history about looking for a boat. Priceless :encouragement:

BruceK

Visit site
:encouragement: It's never easy taking the big plunge. If I knew then what I know now I'd never of had the gumption to follow through, but having done so, could never willingly go back.

hg2016

Visit site
I am now looking at a couple of Sealine S24's Each have the KAD 32 engine and are both around £20K asking. This is some £10K less than the S23's or 25's I had been previously looking at.

Is there much difference in the boats given that all I am looking at have the same KAD 32's

Dennis

Hello Dennis,
FYI a Sealine S23 was up for sale at burton waters for £31,995. Has just sold for £30k inside a week of listing.

Bigplumbs

Visit site
Been looking at Hardy Seawings now but they only seem to have the one sleeping area unlike the Sealines that have 2. Pity that as I was quite interested

Dennis

Bigplumbs

Visit site
Well bit of a late update but we did eventually in 2018 buy the S24 and have been very pleased with her. My original intention to put her on my swing mooring on the sea changed as her indoors liked the marina on the Norfolk Broads which is where she still is. After I saw the size of her and also after a couple of towing incidents with much smaller boats I know now that this is not a boat I would be happy to trail even though I have cars very capable of towing her.

BTW we never did buy that place in Spain we looked at and given recent events we were glad we did not.

We have not used the S24 as much as we would have liked simply because of other stuff we have and of course the last 2 years issues for the world. We still love the boat and love the time we have spent on her. Many of the issues People raised on this thread as problems seem not to have been the case.

Since owning her I have fitted a hot transom shower and diesel heater and various other bits and bobs.

Here is a video of a recent trip on her

and where she lives in Norfolk

harvey38

Visit site
Really nice to hear the outcome of a long thread and that your decision was the right one, would love to see more video of the boat in motion though.

Bigplumbs

Visit site
Really nice to hear the outcome of a long thread and that your decision was the right one, would love to see more video of the boat in motion though.

Yes so would yo. The Problem is however her indoors likes the Norfolk Broads and wants to keep it there. Videos of the boat in motion on the Broads is somewhat slow :ROFLMAO: .

One day I will get it to my Swing mooring on the Sea but just not yet. I never intended to keep it on the Broads but Her indoors put her foot down :)