Sealine S24 v S23 or 25

[2068]

Visit site
From previous posts I think I have a gist of what you are after and a S23 with all its compromises will fit. What I am not so convinced about is once you have sampled cruising and over weekending that your priorities wont drastically change. Which is fine, but lets be honest, you dont sell to upgrade, you have more boats than you can shake a stick at!. My concern would be you'll end up with too much of a compromise for you to really enjoy her. So if you do plan to continue buy once and keep Id urge you to reconsider something in the 28 and above class

It also depends on your family.
When we had the S24, a weekend aboard was fun at first (when we were a lot younger :ambivalence:) because life afloat was a completely new experience.
We then found that the novelty wore off, and having a bit more space became a priority.
Interestingly, upgrading to the SC35 has not increased our time onboard or cruising range vs when we had the S28, hence my comment about there being a "sweet spot" in sizes.
Two engines and a bit less than 30ft, you can go almost anywhere.
Okay, maybe not Biscay.

Last edited:

Bigplumbs

Visit site
From previous posts I think I have a gist of what you are after and a S23 with all its compromises will fit. What I am not so convinced about is once you have sampled cruising and over weekending that your priorities wont drastically change. Which is fine, but lets be honest, you dont sell to upgrade, you have more boats than you can shake a stick at!. My concern would be you'll end up with too much of a compromise for you to really enjoy her. So if you do plan to continue buy once and keep Id urge you to reconsider something in the 28 and above class

A 28 footer will not trail so I cant bring it home in the winter, It will not fit on my mooring and it will have 2 engines. All of these things I can not really afford

My original post was about the differences between the S24 ............. and the S23 and S25 given that there is about £10,000 difference in purchase price

Dennis

Bigplumbs

Visit site
It also depends on your family.
When we had the S24, a weekend aboard was fun at first (when we were a lot younger :ambivalence:) because life afloat was a completely new experience.
We then found that the novelty wore off, and having a bit more space became a priority.
Interestingly, upgrading to the SC35 has not increased our time onboard or cruising range vs when we had the S28, hence my comment about there being a "sweet spot" in sizes.
Two engines and a bit less than 30ft, you can go almost anywhere.
Okay, maybe not Biscay.

We are a small family Just me and her indoors and one quite small dog with a very long name (Poppy, Yippie, DoDo, Lady Brabizon of Tara)

[2068]

Visit site
A 28 footer will not trail so I cant bring it home in the winter, It will not fit on my mooring and it will have 2 engines. All of these things I can not really afford

My original post was about the differences between the S24 ............. and the S23 and S25 given that there is about £10,000 difference in purchase price
Dennis

There are some options in the 28ft size range with single engines, but sticking with these choices, S23/S25 is going to be better vs S24 because there is more hull in the water.
Less bathing platform, less "beak" at the front end, it's going to feel like a bigger boat.
Only you can decide if that's worth the £10k difference.

Last edited:

BruceK

Visit site

Dennis

Maybe I should have added then that the price you are willing to pay could still get you a 28-30 footer and still prove to be a more prudent investment. It's your call, so long as it's an informed choice. There is a reason there are 23's and 24's. They do fill a niche and if it's yours, great.

Scubadoo

Visit site
Contrary to some of the comments regarding the S24, I've owned my S24 for about 18 years since new and think it is a great boat and hence why I've still got it. It is very economical and low annual maintenance costs make it a worthy contender, one of the reasons that has stopped me upgrading to a 30ft boat at the moment.

There are some disadvantages with the S23/S25, one being the fold down platform and therefore not having much space on the stern, the other is the fold down table in the cockpit lack of storage when not required. I think you will also find that the S24 waterline length is the slightly more than the S23 from what I can make out on Britboat specs, but nevertheless not much in it.

Anyway, the S24 is a very capable boat and I've been caught out in all sorts of weather including F6 conditions and found the boat very stable without any issues or worry. Mine has the earlier AD31 (same as a KAD32 less 20hp) engine which performs well (no pocket rocket) and planes with ease with the two of us and all a week away gear (including tender, outboard etc), however I do feel the KAD32 is a better match and is the engine of choice. She has also been a good dive boat in the past when I used to have three divers and all their gear and she still got up on the plane. My cruising area is generally the Solent and south of the Isle of Wight, also trips include to Weymouth and diving Lyme bay etc, so all in all a great boat.

The boat also trims well but does require some work with the trim tabs but not excessive and not on every trip, it really depends on the conditions.

For the difference of £10k between the S24 and S23, I would say the S24 is the best choice, but I am bias :)

Bigplumbs

Visit site
Many thanks for all your comments. We are off to Spain in a few weeks to look at small properties there with the plan to buy one and take one of my small 16 foot speedboats down then to stay. Then just use the property to escape the worst of the long cold, dark UK Winter.

The question is can I afford a property and a boat like the S24 to keep here in the UK. I will see

Generally if you can get the S24 with a KAD32 I am starting to feel that it is worth the £10K saving over the 23 and 25

Dennis

Momac

Visit site
Buying boats isn't like the money is spent . It is just converting the numbers on a computer screen into GRP form. You get a lot more pleasure from the boat than you ever will from looking at the bank balance.
On the other hand if you are buying a property in the med I would suggest you should not bother with a boat in the UK as you may not use it very often.

Bigplumbs

Visit site
Buying boats isn't like the money is spent . It is just converting the numbers on a computer screen into GRP form. You get a lot more pleasure from the boat than you ever will from looking at the bank balance.
On the other hand if you are buying a property in the med I would suggest you should not bother with a boat in the UK as you may not use it very often.

Property in the med is for the winter months when I would not boat in the UK anyway. (Nov and Jan/Feb). It is not a holiday home it is a place to live out of the UK winter which I hate.

Would still have holidays not in the med property and would still boat in the UK.

property in the med is to move the winter months hibernation from the UK to somewhere warmer :)

Dennis

CX54WEK

Visit site
There are a couple of KAD32 powered S24's for sale on the Norfolk Broads for around the £20k mark. Don't know the boats so can't comment on their condition.

I still think my personal preference (and I am biased on this point :)) is for the newer boat though. The S23 or 25. Yes it is more to buy but you are getting a newer boat with more modern styling and fixtures and fittings and it will, if you keep it in good condition, keep that price difference. They have lost their money now.

Bigplumbs

Visit site
This is the dilemma

KAD 32 S24 at £19,500 asking - Might move to £17,500

KAD 32 S23 or 25 £32,000 asking very often Might get for £30K

That is a lot of extra cash to me could have the S24 and 2 more fletchers ! :) or the S24 and a very good Disco to pull it

Dennis

alt

Visit site
Jesus, I sold my 2003 S23 in (approx.) 2013 for (approx.) £27k, WITH a mint double-axle trailer.

It was sold to a forumite and it wouldn't be argued that the overall condition of the boat was excellent.

Start haggling!

CLB

Visit site
Jesus, I sold my 2003 S23 in (approx.) 2013 for (approx.) £27k, WITH a mint double-axle trailer.

It was sold to a forumite and it wouldn't be argued that the overall condition of the boat was excellent.

Start haggling!

My impressions of the market is that prices have firmed up over the last year or so. There is a lack of good quality used boats on the market and it has moved from a buyers market in 2013 to a sellers market in 2018.

alt

Visit site
My impressions of the market is that prices have firmed up over the last year or so. There is a lack of good quality used boats on the market and it has moved from a buyers market in 2013 to a sellers market in 2018.

While I agree with you to a certain extent, a boat should be considered a depreciating, wasteful asset.

I'm not saying that is always the case (to be blunt, i've never lost money on a boat), but I really don't think a 2003 Sealine would be worth the same now as it was in 2013.

For full disclosure, I bought in Euro and sold in Euro, so the figure above is based on historic £ conversion at the time....

BruceK

Visit site
Semi sedan, I noticed. Some might think it a boon. Funny thing about sportboat cruisers, the canopy is nearly always up anyway. I suppose it will always come down to headroom and whether it feels spacious or not especially for you being a tall fella. Always worth a look even if it's just for comparison and a tick in the not for me box as Hardy's do have a good rep