Sealine 255

muckypup

Visit site
Anyone have any experience with these boats? I have spotted a twin diesel one for sale on the Thames, however on closer inspection the engines are only 100hp each. Is 200hp enough for one of these 26' boats?

Which brings up another question. In terms of performance, is 2 x 100hp engines directly equivelent to 1 x 200hp engine?

S.

Whitelighter

Visit site
Don't know if it will be enough for that boat, I have no expereince. But 200Hp would probably see it do 25 knts flat out.

IN terms of if 2 x 100 = 1 x 200 then not quite. With the extra weight and drag of the second engine and leg I would have thought it is about 80% of the performace of the single 200

motayotty

Visit site
Hi Muckypup, I have one of these with the twin petrols. Good tough boat with the benefits of width at the back. Twin 100's? Not sure but the torque of diesel and the bite of two props might be O.K. My hull planes comfortably at 20knts. Dont want to bore you. Any particular questions P.M me. Like the hull and facilities for an oldie, the boat that is not me. Cheers Simon.

thefatlady

Visit site
I had a 1989 one back in 1993 with two 150hp petrols. Boat was basically OK, but fitting out (electrics, etc.) not that good.

I would have thought that two 100hp diesels would be underpowered and stern heavy, but suck it and see.

Mine took me to the Channel Islands, etc. quite comfortably.

muckypup

Visit site
They are quite a nice looking boat, I tend to prefer the more angular look on boats (hence the p37).

What I do like the look of is the larger dash area which is big enough to put some charts on. Most of the modern boats seem to try and cram as many dials into a small a space as possible! Seems like the diesel versions are a bit rare though.

Chris_d

Visit site
I seem to remember MBM featured a 255 converted to diesels some years ago, that was with 2x105's, I think it was sucessfull, might be worth searching their back issue service.

dalex

Visit site
If memory serves, this was the boat used on Howards' way hopping around a yacht in the closing credits.
Check the condition and security of the cockpit seating. Seems to be a bit frail on these..

thefatlady

Visit site
When I bought my 255, with a reasonably clean bottom it would do about 28 kts. I then dry berthed it indoors like this:

Wysiwyg.jpg

I removed all the antifouling, back to polished gelcoat (the hull hadn't been abraded), advanced the ignition timing to 12 deg. BTDC, ran it on unleaded petrol and changed the props for larger pitch ones. It would then reach 35 kts.

thefatlady

Visit site
Can't honestly remember. It was a long time ago. I think it was quite reasonable in mpg. It was the petrol/diesel price difference which reduced the cost when I changed to a diesel boat. With red diesel going, that calculation will change. When at home base, I used to, umm, well, sort of, buy petrol from Tesco on the company.

I went on long trips with it - Channel crossings, West Country, etc.

Problems I had were with silly things, e.g. mild steel screws, domestic electrical connectors in the bilge, plastic plumbing fitting which split and nearly sunk me in Lyme Bay (long story), totally unprotected trim tab control pcb going phut.

It was quite a good boat and we had fun with it. It was the detail that let it down - spoilt for a hap'orth of tar.

baily

Visit site
we had a 255 with twin 130hp volvo dp diesels flat out managed 32nots cruised at 24knots great little boat but with twin diesel's a little heavy on the stern if two got onto bathing platform you get wet feet /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Other threads that may be of interest