Seagull scarers/deterrents- any suggestions???

Hurricane

Visit site
I tried one of those ultrasonic emitters, but 43% of the population can actually hear them. Neighbouring boat owners were disturbed, so I abandoned the use of it. It did not have much effect on the seagulls!
I rigged a couple of those on my radar scanner. Somewhere, I have a photo of a seagull with his head close up listening to one of them.
The ultrasonic scares that I bought had a setting to scare bears. We don't get many bears in our marina so maybe the bear setting works! But the bear setting didn't frighten the seagulls.

sparkie

Visit site
I had problems with Shytehawks at our marina well inland.
I rigged a short 4ft mast in the middle of the boat and ran a couple of strings of cheap plastic bunting the length of the boat.
Result was no more Shytehawks on my boat, so far ;)
One of my pals has given me some Repeller Ribbon(?) that he's used on his allotment, so I'll definitely be trying that.

Jamie Dundee

Visit site
I’ve just fitted one of these to my boat, seems to work.

Just to add, the crap was from before I fitted the Scaregull, since cleaned off :poop:

1AFC258F-4185-4E75-9BFE-8E24536517F7.jpegDE4E48F6-E0D0-43EF-B56F-8E668C7C4C18.jpeg

Divemaster1

Visit site
Hi all, never had a problem when I had my sailboat, but now I'm motorised (still on the same mooring) the local seagulls have discovered my new boat and are rapidly covering it and the canopies in S--T.. Very annoying, and not healthy. I've trawled through the threads on here and other sources on t'internet but there doesn't seem to be any consensus on what works best. Some of the commercial devices are quite expensive, so before investing I need to know if any of them are any good, or if cheap and cheerful (e.g. plastic bags tied to string etc??) work just as well. Any help gratefully received. Cheers.
String a fishing line from VHF antenna/arch/high point and forward .... preferrably in a X formation. Seagulls will not see line from high, but will discover something obstructing landing zone when heading for landing and veer off ... Not seeing the obstruction from a distance, but noticing "something" when wanting to land, will make them nervous and avoid the area ... Was very effective when we had the boat moored in Peterhead (Scottish fishing harbor with loads of seagulls around).. Cheep and effective...

sparkie

Visit site
String a fishing line from VHF antenna/arch/high point and forward .... preferrably in a X formation. Seagulls will not see line from high, but will discover something obstructing landing zone when heading for landing and veer off ... Not seeing the obstruction from a distance, but noticing "something" when wanting to land, will make them nervous and avoid the area ... Was very effective when we had the boat moored in Peterhead (Scottish fishing harbor with loads of seagulls around).. Cheep and effective...
Yes I'm all for cheep and cheerful, fishing line and some of my mate's ribbons are I think the first things I will try. Cheers.

Jamie Dundee

Visit site
I did this last year and it worked. This year they just battered it out of the way ??

Martxer

Visit site
I worked on some villa’s in Gibraltar plaques by gulls some fishing lines were strung over them .
The gulls used to garrotte themselves on the line, made it difficult to sell the villa’s with dismembered seagulls hanging off the line