Sea toilet not working - any ideas?

PhilMcC

Visit site
The sea toilet on my boat has not worked since I bought it. It flushes but doesn't seem to pull in any water - so I replaced the seals which, to my huge annoyance, has had no effect.

As I pump the plunger up and down, there is the sound of air being pushed through water and I'm wondering if maybe there is an air-lock in there somewhere........anyone experienced the same problem?

Sea Devil

www.michaelbriant.com
Lavac made some pans out of aluminum not china for a while... they get slight bubbles on the top edge after a time and that stops the lid sealing on the pan... No solution except a new pan and it is expensive...

If its not that when did you last service it..? The tubes and rubber bits get clogged up with calca and make it very difficult to draw in water... Buy a service kit and renew all the rubber bits and clean the tubes out...

all good fun!

MoodySabre

Visit site
If it's a Jabsco/Brydon then it's probably the rubber valve thingy with flaps that isn't seated properly. This needs to been very clean and some people put a smear of vaseline on it to ensure a good seal. Either that or the pump needs a new O ring. Jasbco website very good and they are extremely helpful on phone. A service kit maybe necessary. There's not all that much to not work. To get it going if the inlet pipe is empty then a vigorous pumping is necessary to draw up water. Seacocks open and clear is of course a prerequisite.

A search will find plenty of threads on this subject.

PhilMcC

Visit site
It's a Raske van der Maede - I bought a service kit for £25 and replaced everything which was in a real state so I was expecting great things - wrong.

This may be a daft question but does the lid have to down to draw in water? (I'm a newbie to this boating game!).

Pye_End

Visit site
No the lid does not need to be down - just the little handle flipped to open. Sometime takes a bit to get it going as the flapper valve is not great. There was quite a big post on the RM69 a couple of days ago so would be worth going through that.

Checking the inlet pipe for fouling etc high up on the list.

Frontier

Visit site
This many be a daft reply, but I didn't understand mine when I bought the boat. I have a little switch thing beside the pump. One way only pumps out, the other setting pumps water in at the same time as out.

You probably knew about this if you have the little lever, but even so maybe what it does inside is not happening.

D

Jonny_H

www.freewebs.com
I've got two RM69 toilets like yours - having problems with both of them drawing up water (exactly as you describe).
Suggestions:

1) Vaseline the flaps at the rear of the pump (where the inlet pipe is).
2) Cooking oil dribbled down the shaft of the pump will help create a seal
3) Fill the bowl to the very top with water (from a bucket etc) - this will force water back down the pipes between the bowl and the pump and remove an air lock - and pump out
4) Check sea cock is open
5) If all above fail - remove pipe from rear of pump and from seacock - pour water down the pump end and make sure it is free running through the pipe (much easier way to check for a blockage than removing the pipe!)

Good luck.

Jonny

PhilMcC

Visit site
Thanks for the replies. The pipework on my toilet just disappears into a hole in the floor so access looks difficult / impossible. I don't think there is a seacock - at least I can't see one (is that normal?).

samwise

kalessin-of-orwell.blogspot.com
I would be surprised and a little worried if there wasn't a seacock, but boatbuilders often site them in completely inaccessible places. If there is a blockage in the inlet you may be able to get at from the outside i.e. diving and poking something up the outlet hole. There seems to be some confusion in the posts as to whether you have a Lavac type ( I don't think so) it is clearly a Jabsco / RM69 type.Sounds like yours was in a bit of a parlous state and it may be that it was beyond rescue with a simple service kit. The easy fix may be to simply replace the whole pump

Searush

back2bikes.org.uk
Inlets & outlets can be found from outside of hull. Dry out somewhere, leaning on a wall with the loo on the side away from the wall if a fin keel. Barnacles have been known to grow inside seacocks & block them.

Once you know where the holes in the hull are, you should be able to find the seacocks. Dismantle them, clean & waterproof grease them before reassembling. Not a bad tide's worth there!

Jonny_H

www.freewebs.com
[ QUOTE ]
The easy fix may be to simply replace the whole pump

[/ QUOTE ]

IHMHO I would replace the whole unit in this case with a Jabsco. The new pump is £70, and a new Jabsco complete toilet is only £99. The Jabsco's are, reportedly, better made and the spares are more widely available.

As I'm in the same situation, I'm going to be going for a new Jabsco unit - works out cheaper than a service kit and then a new pump when you discover its corroded inside when you open it up to fit the service kit!

I have found the RM69's do corrode - the lever for 'dry bowl ; flush' corrodes where it enters the pump assembly, and the plunger rod also corrodes at the bottom (causing the nut to fall off the pump to completely fail!)

Sorry to be so negative - but just what I've found /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Jonny

samwise

kalessin-of-orwell.blogspot.com
I did think that if he can't find the seacocks, the unit replacement afloat would be quite an exciting affair! You are right though, it does make sense to do the whole lot. The problem is, where do you stop? Ideally the pipework should be changed as well. Cue all the remedies for getting 38mm pipe on to obstinate and seemingly oversized fittings!