Scuttlebutt

Status
Not open for further replies.

greggron

Visit site
I'm sure there are many rude sounding things to be found on boats. Are you looking to rename them all? This is a Boatie forum. A Boatie term is appropriate.

BoyBlue49

Visit site
If we give him a stern look he might go away, seems to becoming the butt of the joke.

Bumpkin

Screw

Sextant

Might have to invent a whole new language after several hundred years of honing the existing.

It's funny how some people come along and want to change what has been acceptable, I don't look for any double entendre in my sailing language, I'm proud to use words that have come down through the ages and that Nelson would have been familiar with.

I can see from his avita where he is coming from but won't comment on that as I believe in a free world.

Last edited:

macd

Visit site
Scuttlebutt...It always sound so rude to me and in these enlightened times could it not be changed to Water Cooler or such ?

My version of enlightenment is one where one person's values don't impinge on another's without compelling reason. That would preclude someone's instructing me on what words are deemed 'proper'. They might well be asked to butt out.

exMNSailor

Visit site
Some of these posts are reminiscent of the thinking that brought this once great nation to its knees.
WE must move with the times.I am writing to:

http://www.seatalk.info/

image.jpg

Last edited:

alan_d

Visit site
Indeed I myself have found many many many rude things on ships and boats But BUTT has become an inappropriate word IMHO.

What name would you prefer for the end of the stock of a gun? Or the action of, for example, a ram hitting something with its horns?

Status
Not open for further replies.