Scruffy crews

Save the Fray Bentos!

• Yes - it's my fundamental Human Right!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No - it's where Foot & Mouth started. and Bird Flu. and Ebola. (Alledgedly)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

DAKA

Visit site
One of my pet hates is seeing scruffy crews on boats.

Why do some owners spend fortunes on matching canopies, fender socks etc then allow their crews to wear odd jackets ?

When professional crews go out they have matching jackets/sweat tops on with beautifully embroidered motifs of the boats name on, looks really smart like they are putting an effort in and not just hanging around.

Next time you spend £100 on a set of fender socks how about new matching jackets for the wife and kids /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

DAKA

Visit site
They do thanks, I would have been really upset if they had come out a different colour /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

/forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

DAKA

Visit site
You dont have to dress like identical twins, just looks better

Predominantly yellow
predominantly red
predominantly navy

wakeup

Visit site
It is very GAY to have matching crew clothing, and you should rightly be ridiculed upon sight. Normally only assocaited with Sailors doing the ARC.

Kipper

North West when I have to, North Wales when I can
Visit site
Sounds like you take yourselves a little too seriously to me. As lond as my crew are dressed for the weather safe and comfortable thats all i would expect. As individuals we all have diffeerent tastes and as for getting my teenagers to wear shirts with "CHRISTINE" on them, not a chance.

Next you will be telling us what flags we should be flying.

Im a skull n crossbone man myself

/forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Gary

Steveu

Visit site
'One of my pet hates is seeing scruffy crews on boats.
Why do some owners spend fortunes on matching canopies, fender socks etc then allow their crews to wear odd jackets ?'

Hang on....have I woken up in a time warp here? is this the 21st century or the 19th?
I'm afraid that neither my wife nor my daughter pay any attention to what I'd like them to wear and they get that pitying look on their faces when I make suggestions. If I suggested that we all wear matching nautical outfits to impress passing strangers I think I'd be boating alone....and I'd probably deserve it.

DAKA

Visit site
I sometimes get the impression some of you just type any old tosh just to wind me up /forums/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

Come on really, school uniforms were abandoned a few years ago and discipline went straight out with it.
Schools are now back to uniforms.

Put someone in a uniform and they feel better for it and are more likely to perform as expected.

Whats the difference ?

A well disciplined crew should be correctly attired. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Kipper

North West when I have to, North Wales when I can
Visit site
What rubbish

Only people with no self esteem, or imagination would feel better in a uniform. I never wore school uniform after the age of 15 and I only excelled after that time, so I would suggest there are no real facts behind this.
That said if you and your crew feel better dressed as one then do it, it is still a free country,just! But dont judge others with a less " Victorian" approach to life.

/forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Gary

cawarra

Visit site
DAKA, what complete tosh are you on about. Living in Hamble I see many "crews" (usually husband, wife and kids being dragged along by their ears) in matching uniform and usually Cuba sails jackets or ANYTHNING with a brand name that stands out (cos they are the expensive one and they are there to be seen) and I think its looks totally daft. HOWEVER, crew whites when racing on classics..now thats a different story.

Solent sailing/ motorboating....I agree with above..as long as you are safe, warm and comfortable then, as a skipper, am happy.

And yes, I very much doubt if my wife would even WANT to dress like me!

Get real....and upto date...I bet you also wear you trousers inside your Dubarry's...which is another story!

colingr

Visit site
Standard of dress on board Joka

Shorts, t-shirts, not jeans with studs please

Otherwise anything comfortable

If it matches it's just coincidence

oldgit

Visit site
Alright alright,will promise to see that if I can fold my favorite overalls currently standing up unassisted in the corner,small enough to fit into the washing machine.
Just a tiny bit worried that if all the antifoul/tea/coffee/beer/paint/varnish stains get washed out, the overalls will fall to bits and have only had them 10 years.

Headbone

Visit site
Well said Daka - good chap, right attitude. You might have added something about posture on board. No call for slouching just because it's the weekend.

Seriously old man, are you sure it was not a little soon to stop taking the tablets ?

benjenbav

Visit site
Never mind the whole pack being dressed the same. This is going to be the weekend I officially break out the shorts for the summer.

Beware a man in baggies and dubarry boots. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Take5

Visit site
buahhahaha. There have been some great replies to this thread. Made me chuckle anyway.

Im a noobie, but scruffy is good for me so long as everyone is "Suitably Scruffy" and isn't going to freeze to death.

(I think an exception should be made for Kipper, I would deffo ban him from wearing shorts. Hell scare the life out of the kids with them legs) /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

hlb

RIP
Visit site
Perfectly agree.

Heres my uniform. PM me for a catalogue

aprilmayholiday041.jpg