Scrubbing off to be banned, what next?

Sans Bateau

Visit site
http://www.yachtingmonthly.com/news/519163/scrubbing-off-ban-is-only-a-question-of-time

I also read this in the latest copy of the mag.

So, many of us spend all week playing mind games in work, wrestling with the trials and tribulations of trying to earn a few quid, but knowing that by the weekend we can get to the boat and sail away, leaving all our troubles behind.

Not so in the future it seems, we are not going to be able to anchor to enjoy the wilderness that is the sea, its possible we will have to take a compulsory 'test' (dont laugh it will happen), be told to wear lifejackets, cant have a glass of wine whilst ghosting on a warm summer breeze and now, it looks like in the not to distant future we will have to pour more money into the pockets of marinas to have the boat scrubbed! This is getting beyond a joke!

So if the harbour masters are forced to take away scrubbing posts, what of the people with twin keelers who dry out on the beach and scrub? Who will police them?

Maybe in the future there will be a new marine police force, tearing around in RIBS, ensuring we all behave ourselves, that we all abide by the new rules and regulations being conjured up to spoil our enjoyment.

snooks

www.grahamsnook.com
Everyone will probably sail to bucklers hard or Falmouth and dry out alongside the Royal Cornwall or Flushing or maybe even Mylor if that's still possible.

They can take our piles, but they'll never take our walls!:D

Or just learn to dive with a deck brush

H4B

Visit site
Not so sure this an April fool . The guy who runs my home yard in an Environment Agency controlled Port was talking about this last year so there may be something in it.

Thistle

Visit site
Didn't we get rid of TBT-based anti-fouls so that any of our scrubbings etc that got into the environment wouldn't poison the little blighters and their plant friends that set up home rent-free on our hulls? Might as well go back to the poisonous stuff if all the scrapings are going to be carefully collected.

bendyone

Visit site
It's like that in Calais, a few years ago the dirty water went down the drain straight back into the marina now we have to wash off in a special area and the water is run off into a underground tank. Costs us now €2 to use it, but that includes the pressure washer.

rwoofer

Visit site
But does that mean you can still scrub off coppercoat. I would hope so, which means coppercoat will be the only practical choice for those on a budget.

Could for the basis of the argument to keep scrubbing grids.

Pye_End

Visit site
It is difficult to see the difference in toxicity between several hundred yachts moored in a marina, and one scrubbing off weed, and the surface of antifouling on a scrubbing grid.

oldsaltoz

Visit site
It's been quite a few years since anyone was allowed to to scrub in anything but a containment area here in Oz.

Marinas have dedicated stands for wash down with pressure cleaners and all material is collected.

I'm no greenie but, the number of fish in the marinas is a lot higher today than it was say 10 years ago.

Fair winds to all.

fishermantwo

Visit site
In New South Wales its illegal to scrape barnacles off the side of a yacht in the water. Its about $850 fine. It is OK to rub antifouling down with a scotchbrite though. I guess if you find a barnacle while rubbing down before a race you are meant to scrub around it!

You would be unlucky to get caught and I think most cases have been from people being dobbed in.