Scrubbing off to be banned, what next?

Sybarite

Visit site
This was brought in several years ago in France. We were told that it was to comply with European legislation. I looked but could not find any especially provisions relating to where there were fast running tides.

youen

Visit site
Here at Loctudy in Brittany we must haul the boat out(,mine is coppercoated),and wash her on a place where the dirty water is collected.The boatyards are very please...200m further fishermen clean there boats as before,sand them with any protection on the fishinq quay:that is our sweet France.This summer I was in Galicia and the boats where clean up and antifoul as before along the quay.It seems the EEC law its not the same for everybody....

Mudisox

Visit site
Us, who can dry out on an even keel without falling over will have to go to the Minquies or Iles Chausey then. Sun seems to shine more down there too to dry the hull and warm the back.

oldharry

Visit site
Knowing where Galadriel is getting this from, I wouldnt rely too much on it being near 1/4.

'Discharge of toxic waste' is one area that will be much more strictly controlled than it was.

What is run off from anti-foul scrub off, other than 'toxic waste'?

Laugh now if you like... As I said before: the MMO is coming.

bluerm166

Visit site
If such a ban is true and the hull shape allows careening then doesn't it become daft to be applying antifouling which then allows stuff to attach which you then cannot conveniently clean off because of the presence of the antifouling ?
i.e.if you get rid of the antifouling once and for all you should be able to careen.

Seven Spades

Visit site
Knowing where Galadriel is getting this from, I wouldnt rely too much on it being near 1/4.

'Discharge of toxic waste' is one area that will be much more strictly controlled than it was.

What is run off from anti-foul scrub off, other than 'toxic waste'?

Laugh now if you like... As I said before: the MMO is coming.

Well if you have Copper Coat it is not toxic at all, it is just weed.

Sans Bateau

Visit site
So the process of applying epoxy (even water based) is non toxic? How about the production of the copper dust? Still non toxic?:rolleyes:

We need Elessar to confirm this, but I suspect that whilst in an uncured state epoxy would be toxic, I'm not sure about the copper, we need VicS for that. But once the copper is mixed with the cured epoxy and the boat is scrubbed, you are not washing any pigment or biocides into the sea, as you do with antifoul.

We have a Dutch friend who had his boat sheathed in copper tiles for the reason of the restrictions in Holland on antifoul. If I remember correctly.

Seajet

Visit site
If handled sensibly, this need not be too bad; a lot of yards already insist on scrubbing boats with special tarp's to colect the stuff - naturally there's a fee for the wonder-tarp, and presumably contaminated water will have to be kept to a minimum.

If handled badly or greedily however, this could be another license to rip off boat owners; a worrying thing is that my club, all volunteer run, has a little prat who just LOVES rules & regulations, I'm sure he sleeps in his beloved hard hat beside the club bin to guard it from having any rubbish deposited therein...

With people like this who don't sail much but love cuddling up to 'officialdom', combined with the possibly more understandable greed of companies - marinas are feeling the pinch, so a means of extra income will no doubt be siezed upon - this is yet another example where boat owners getting together to pass on info' and even help each other re. scrubbing areas which suit the rules may well come to the rescue ?

I'd think the paint companies must be studying this if they have any sense, a non-toxic means of 'neutralising' antifouling scrub-off, which may well require a new a/f ?

snooks

www.grahamsnook.com
We need Elessar to confirm this, but I suspect that whilst in an uncured state epoxy would be toxic, I'm not sure about the copper, we need VicS for that. But once the copper is mixed with the cured epoxy and the boat is scrubbed, you are not washing any pigment or biocides into the sea, as you do with antifoul.

Agreed that once applied the toxicity is reduced, but to say a product is "not toxic at all" when the copper and epoxy both have to be produced and after application you're left over with a load of buckets, rollers and brushes of epoxy that go into a skip. You might be fooling yourself to think it's "not toxic at all"

It's splitting hairs I know:rolleyes:

Sans Bateau

Visit site
OK Mr Snooks, to counter your rather 'picky' or is that Pixie:D response, once you have applied Coppercoat, the tins & rollers etc etc are all you will have to dispose of for at least ten years, the other muck that is applied every year, creates toxic waste every year, plus you are dumping it in the sea all the time.

But getting back to subject, scrubbing your bottom, when the boat is Coppercoated produces minuscule amounts of toxicity when compared to the annual muck.

VO5

Visit site
If handled sensibly, this need not be too bad; a lot of yards already insist on scrubbing boats with special tarp's to colect the stuff - naturally there's a fee for the wonder-tarp, and presumably contaminated water will have to be kept to a minimum.

If handled badly or greedily however, this could be another license to rip off boat owners; a worrying thing is that my club, all volunteer run, has a little prat who just LOVES rules & regulations, I'm sure he sleeps in his beloved hard hat beside the club bin to guard it from having any rubbish deposited therein...

With people like this who don't sail much but love cuddling up to 'officialdom', combined with the possibly more understandable greed of companies - marinas are feeling the pinch, so a means of extra income will no doubt be siezed upon - this is yet another example where boat owners getting together to pass on info' and even help each other re. scrubbing areas which suit the rules may well come to the rescue ?

I'd think the paint companies must be studying this if they have any sense, a non-toxic means of 'neutralising' antifouling scrub-off, which may well require a new a/f ?

Why don't you send him over here ? I'll soon sort him out for you .:eek:

Csail

N/A
Visit site
So where does all the self eroding antifoul go?
Bit like where does all the rubber go of our tyres every few months?