Scilly question :-)

Windy_Stu

Visit site
Hi Guys

We are planning to spend the summer in the Scillys... well at least a month or so.... We "work" a bit from the boat and I wondered what the mobile signal was like... I have a 3 dongle and wondered if anyone knew if there was coverage on the archipelago?

Stu

longjohnsilver

Visit site
About 3 years ago there was a cable laying ship putting down fiber optic cables, the internet in most places is excellent, but there are still a few black spots, one being the Cove between St Agnes and Gugh.

Windy_Stu

Visit site
Thanks Budgie

good to know....thanks

What are the highlights down there.... any things to avoid?... always good to have some feedback from someone who has been there :).... I wonder if there is enough interest to fill a month or 2??

Stu

vyv_cox

coxeng.co.uk
.... any things to avoid?...

Easterly gales :) We had one that lasted nearly a week, very difficult to find shelter from that direction. That was before any buoys were laid. Almost every anchorage we found had weed up to about 2 metres long in it, so if it is your intention to anchor a lot a big heavy Fisherman anchor might be a good investment.

Minchsailor

Visit site
Thanks Budgie

good to know....thanks

What are the highlights down there.... any things to avoid?... always good to have some feedback from someone who has been there :).... I wonder if there is enough interest to fill a month or 2?? Stu

I've called in a couple of times on my way to/from Ireland when I was on the Hamble. Some of it is quite shallow. They are not THAT big. Unless you have youngsters that will enjoy the beaches, I, personally, would be hard pushed to find things to do after a week.

mattonthesea

ayearatsea.co.uk
When you get there you will find that there are those who have been coming back for years. I am one of those so my views are definitely biased!

Each island has a different character

There are no pontoons so most people there are the more adventurous types. All anchor and moorings.

There are no all weather anchorages - move with the wind direction.

Set your own navigation risk appetite: my favourite so far has been the approach south down Tean Sound. My bucket list includes a crossing from Tresco to St Marys direct-ish!

One of my favourite views in the world is looking west from St Agnes across the Western Rocks.

I defy anyone to spend two days on one island without chilling out! I spent a week there on my own in transit from Azores to Bristol. I only left because of an appointment.

AFAICR there are about 57 different transits to use in navigating around.

It is not cheap - everything is ferried in. Water is precious.

The journey there is swirly - best to wait for a fairish wind

If you re there during Glastonbury weekend expect rain!

The Turks Head on St Agnes is run by a lovely couple who used to run a restaurant in Bristol - went there a lot.

The world's smallest football league - two teams!

Abbey Gdns on Tresco - worth a visit - Telly Tubby type plants!

Listen to the local radio station - it's ironically good!

Listen to the local knowledge - what they know is worth knowing. (BTW the name is Scilly (no plural))

Overall I'd say that it's really just a very relaxing way of life staying there

Channel Sailor

Visit site
Green Bay I found was a well protected anchorage for winds in all/almost all directions. But boats need to to be shallow ish draft and must be able to dry out. It was a while ago for me but it was on hard sand from what I recall, so when finally dug in the holding was good.

jcwads

Visit site
If I could spend 6 months there I would, but I am biased having holidayed there most of my life.

The islands present an abundance of exploration and relaxation. Here are my highlights -

Turks Head, St Agnes - Best pub in the world on the smallest inhabited island. The view out to the rest of the islands is arguably the best on a good day.

New Inn, Tresco - Another great pub and popular with yachtsman. There is a lovely anchorage in the Tresco Channel which is convenient to visit both Tresco and Bryher, both of which are lovely islands. Bryher has an appealing remoteness and also has a great restaurant - The Crab Shack, for some local scallops, muscles and of course Crab..

St Marys is the biggest island and most populated and has all amenities - Fuel and Water, along with shops and some awesome pubs and restaurants. Check out Juliet's Garden for the best views and a great relaxed lunch.

If you are someone who loves freedom, makes their own time and wants to really feel remote and away from it all then there is simply not a better place.

As has been said, anchorages are weather dependent, its about moving with the conditions, but there are many options and make sure you anchor at St Agnes and also Tresco (ok I say that as they are personal fav's).

[2574]

Visit site
You'll find a community of boats stooging around Helford and Falmouth waiting for a weather window to get to Scilly. We've been part of it for two summers. Last summer we gave up waiting and went on a quiet day in the knowledge that it was going to be windy when we were there.

St Mary's buoys are close together and although we had no problems it didnt seem a comfortable mooring. In any case we needed to clear out because of the wind and went around to New Grimsby moorings. Due to tidal timing we had to sail around the top of the islands and we were surprised at the turbulence kicked up by the overfalls on the western side.

New Grimsby was sheltered but at high water the swell creeps in (it was blowing 30kts) and we were rolling through 50deg for an hour or so - no sleep. It's a beautiful place, we much preferred Bryher to Tresco (the latter being a little too much up market holiday camp or "theme park" for our taste).

I've no doubt you could spend the summer on Scilly if you enjoy challenging pilotage; if it is restful no stress sailing you want then the West Country harbours are more your thing.

We will return this summer whilst on passage north.

Rob

New Grimsby - we're fourth from the front:

Scilly.jpg

Last edited:

mattonthesea

ayearatsea.co.uk
Thanks for the info.... water is likely to be my Achilles heal... I guess cans from the quay must be possible tho?

Dependingonde

Depending on depth, from about half tide you can get water hose ashore at St Mary's but commercial craft have priority. I've found them very friendly and accommodating though:)

Scillypete

www.peteandspamgosailing.blogspot.com
Hi Guys

We are planning to spend the summer in the Scillys... well at least a month or so.... We "work" a bit from the boat and I wondered what the mobile signal was like... I have a 3 dongle and wondered if anyone knew if there was coverage on the archipelago?

Stu
Not that long ago the aerials were upgraded from 2g to 4g Vodafone being the main provider here so most locals are on that some other providers are catching on so as budgieboy says you may be ok on 3, we have asked locally if anyone uses 3 but got a zero response.

If you are sailing a cat and are happy enough to dry out then your options are many . . . . . Water is available at the quay at the inner berths, there is a tap at Green Bay bryher by Bennett boatyard and there used to be a tap at the root of new Grimsby quay that may still be useable

Enjoy your visit and relax

Scillypete

www.peteandspamgosailing.blogspot.com
Thanks Pete

you sound like a local.... and a cat owner as well?... we have a Gemini 105.

hope to get down there later this year

Stu

Some here would say I'm not a local until I'm buried here and I'm in no hurry to reach that status.

As I said sailing a cat increases your options massively especially for dodging any weather and avoiding anchorages that are susceptible to swell, just watch the mono's roll and snatch.

When you get down look out for us we will be out and about on our Prout Quest 33cs 'Gemini Too' . . . . . . beware of the dog he licks visitors as they try to board