Scary moment

Neraida

www.neraida.org.uk
Went out yesterday afternoon for a quick run. On our way down Southampton Water whilst keeping to a straight course with the hound bouy close on port side as the fast cat was tearing up to Southampton something a bit scary happened. As we were clearly keeping well out of the way of the cat and staying dead on course it swerved about 30 degrees turning directly towards us at a distance of about 200 metres. Things all went a bit hectic in cockpit for about 10 seconds until it swerved back to the same course and left us feeling a bit annoyed at having to leap around on the tunrning wash it caused as well as it scaring the bejeebers out of us. Was no other traffic in the way and has left me wondering if someone was deliberately trying to freak us out for a laugh. Surely no responsible employee of a ferry company would ever do something so cruel?!???

<hr width=100% size=1><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by Neraida on 10/07/2003 15:41 (server time).</FONT></P>

Twister_Ken

'ang on a mo, I'll just take some bearings
Visit site
Sounds like they use Sunsail to train their skippers.

Or maybe it was a case of:

"Ladies and Gennelmen, this is your captain speaking. On our port or left hand side we have a nice little yacht, which might interest a bunch of grockles like you. So we'll just get a bit closer if you'd like to get your cameras ready. My god this job is boring. Oh, sorry, I thought I'd released the press to speak switch."

<hr width=100% size=1><A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.writeforweb.com/twister1>Let's Twist Again</A>

johnsomerhausen

Visit site
In a case like that, my reaction would have been to call them on CH 16 and ask why the sudden swerve. Not mainly for them to explain, but for everybody else (especially the CG) to hear about it....
john

<hr width=100% size=1>

BrendanS

Visit site
Probably swerving to avoid a lobster pot ;)

Seriously, could have seen a log or something in the water. It's happened to me enough times.

<hr width=100% size=1>Err, let me know if Depsol enters the forum, I'll go and hide

Sybarite

Visit site
It's happened to me a few times with fishing boats. I seriously suspected they were doing it deliberately especially after a couple of matched course changes.

John

<hr width=100% size=1>