Scarf or Butt and Strap

JonnieFlamingo

Visit site
Afternoon m'learned colleagues, I have taken the plunge and removed a damaged plank from Flamingo (http://justflamingo.com/) My 8 year old is now even more convinced I am the proud owner of a shipwreck after I was forced to admit that, Yes, she would sink if we tried to sail her. The reason for the post is to get a bit of advice (obvs) the damaged plank was scarfed and because the planks are only 7/8ths thick the scarf was very thin, hence the damage. So my question is do I scarf a new bit in and glue it with a better adhesive (the original looked like grey putty), or cut the ends straight and reinforce with a butt plate?

IMG_1528.jpg
Gulp! Now she'll definitely sink.

IMG_1531.jpg
The very thin end of the wedge!

I await your pearls of wisdom... oh yes, and Happy New Year!

Jonnie

sarabande

Visit site
Insert a series of small vertical backup plates (ply is OK) between the internal ribs, square off the planks, then add a graving piece with squared ends and some epoxy gloop. It looks too small a gap to make join with a decent 1:12 scarf. Finally fasten the inset to the ribs.

johnlilley

www.seasurveys.co.uk
I think I'd be inclined to cut the scarf off and go back at least another frame bay , it is not practical to fit too short a section of planking, and cut the old plank midway between a frame bay and fit a new section of planking using butt plates of the same timber internally. It does not look as if there is much curvature at tha point so it should be quite easy. Make butt plates with the grain running the same way as the planking and a little narrower than the frame bay width to prevent water pooling. The width of the butt plate should be a little wider than the plank so it overlaps the adjacent planking internally for extra support. Fasten the butt plate with three fastenings in each connecting plank so that when looking at the plank connection the fastenings appear to group in a circle .

If there is an existing join in the plank closeby, or other above or below planks then care has to be taken in the placement of new joins.

John Lilley

itchenseadog

www.hopeandaiddirect.org.uk
I think I'd be inclined to cut the scarf off and go back at least another frame bay , it is not practical to fit too short a section of planking, and cut the old plank midway between a frame bay and fit a new section of planking using butt plates of the same timber internally. It does not look as if there is much curvature at tha point so it should be quite easy. Make butt plates with the grain running the same way as the planking and a little narrower than the frame bay width to prevent water pooling. The width of the butt plate should be a little wider than the plank so it overlaps the adjacent planking internally for extra support. Fasten the butt plate with three fastenings in each connecting plank so that when looking at the plank connection the fastenings appear to group in a circle .

If there is an existing join in the plank closeby, or other above or below planks then care has to be taken in the placement of new joins.

John Lilley

I second Johns advice above, only thing I would add is to bevel the top edge of the buttstrap, again to stop pooling.
John Desty