Scapa Tape - Window Sealing

Dino

Visit site
Hi folks,
I have a few leaky windows in my Broom Ocean 38. The starboard side forward window over the galley and heads is leaking. It made by trend marine. I plan to remove it and check all the seals, then refit it to the superstructure with Scapa foam tape. I have heard very good things about this tape. Has anyone used it and can you offer any advice?
Should I also apply a sealant like Sikaflex 291i to the screws?

Ferris

Visit site
291i is an adhesive sealant. We used it to rebuild windows on a continental 37 and while it worked, it was a nightmare. Also I’d hate to ever have to take them out. I’ve read on here that people use a non adhesive mastic that doesn’t set and therefore the frame can be tightened later. Not sure what is recommended.

Rappey

Visit site
. Has anyone used
After a quick google it looks the same as pvc foam tape. Its superb at sealing window frames to cabin. Will never leak again . you can poke the screws throught it and as it compresses it seals up around the screws. Adding a little butyl tape under the screw head gives double security.
There are many other tapes similar tapes but some can get squeezed out over time..it needs to be a fully compressable tape

Whopper

Visit site
Hi Dino. This came up on the inland waterways Facebook. My own view is that butyl might be better on the curved ends on the ocean 38. A tape would clearly work well on straight sections. I’d also be nervous over torquing window frame screws - might be a nightmare to replace damaged frames in Ireland, I suspect butyl allows for a more gentle torquing of the frame screws.

It’s a good time to do a quick pass of the polisher when the frames are out!

Last edited:

Dino

Visit site
Thanks folks, the Scapa tape arrived yesterday and it looks a bit thin. I’m inclined to use the butyl tape option. I have had good success with it before
I’ll definitely run the polisher over the edge, a lot easier than trying to get in around the frames.
The Trend Marine frames are new to me. I’m guessing that new seals are available for the windows. I’ll give trend a call.

RunAgroundHard

Visit site
Thanks folks, the Scapa tape arrived yesterday and it looks a bit thin. I’m inclined to use the butyl tape option. I have had good success with it before
I’ll definitely run the polisher over the edge, a lot easier than trying to get in around the frames.
The Trend Marine frames are new to me. I’m guessing that new seals are available for the windows. I’ll give trend a call.

I have used the 3 mm thick Scapa 3507 tape to repair leaking frames. The tape has been in place for 13 years now in all sorts of weather, heavy rain, rough seas on 13 windows (yes my boat has an odd number of windows). None have leaked.

The tape has to be compressed by 30% to become watertight. On my own window frames, some of which are curved, the tape is compressed at the curve well beyond the 30% mark, not a drop of water has come in. I consider this to be a product that works well, reliable, easy to use. A lot easier to use than butyl, which I use on fittings.

Good luck with your repair.

LiftyK

Visit site
I just resealed six windows using Scapa tape. It worked well. Most time was spent cleaning old butyl from the windows and fibreglass, and cleaning up the old screws. Once the surfaces were clean, applying the Scapa tape was a very satisfying and clean job. It was straightforward to cut out wedges in the tape on the bends. Being sticky on one side, you stick it to the fibreglass at your leisure. No hurry, no mess. Finally aligning the window and replacing the screws is very straightforward.

All in all, it was a rewarding and enjoyable project.

PetiteFleur

Visit site
I've used Butyl tape to seal the window frame to the coach roof but with a stainless washer at each screw hole so the tape is not totally squashed. Never leaked since doing it about 15 yrs ago.