Satisfactory, or preying on yotties?

jamie N

Visit site
Puzzled by ally keel, and in any event does he not need his keel any more?
A previous owner had fitted bilge keels to the Sonata, which had been partly fastened by 2 or 3 mm aluminium strips. He removed them whilst returning the boat to its centreboard only mode, and gifted me the ally, which has been very useful for 'fabbing stuff' over the past few years.

Minerva

Visit site
I made that brass socket, for the "boat" end of the setup myself on my lathe.

Loads of boat things like this means that a lathe soon pays for itself. My ambassador lookalike cost me £70 compared to a price which i understand is now pushing £600. Takes about 2.5 days tp make. The anodes are purchased as a standard & I machine them myself. That saves another £ 25-00 each. I have made a number of rope cutters for friends.
Bow roller cost a couple of squids. New furler screw 50p instead of £20-00.
That does not include all the other bits that I make. I would be lost without my lathe & mill

What sort of lathes do you have? I’ve only ever seen muckle big free standing units that would take up a whole end of the garage. Do you have something more garage diy tinkerer friendly?

ProDave

Alness / Black Isle Northern Scottish Highlands.
Visit site
What sort of lathes do you have? I’ve only ever seen muckle big free standing units that would take up a whole end of the garage. Do you have something more garage diy tinkerer friendly?
Mine is antique, literally. A Drummond round bed lathe about 1940's like this one.

1710877577562.png
That's how it would have been originally, driven by a treadle. Mine is now set up as a bench top lathe driven by an electric motor on a variable speed drive.

I only paid £25 for it in a farm sale auction. It was in a sorry state but came complete. I walked past it once I had never seen anything like it, a round bed lathe, who would have thought it. Just to be clear I only have the lathe, not the even heavier cast iron stand and treadle.

It's old and basic but does all the jobs I have asked of it.

It might be small but it's a 2 man lift.

There is more info on the Drummond Round bed here Drummond Round-bed Lathe and I have just looked up my serial number there and it dates it between 1917 and 1919, somewhat earlier than I expected.

Last edited:

Daydream believer

Visit site
Warco 250MV, The mill is an M16, ( Both with DROs) so nothing special, but both purchased new.
I notice the post with a Drummond. I had a Drummond type M for 30 years which was surprisingly good. I had a decent Colchester for some years, but it was 3 phase so had to sell it when I moved in 2000. Hence the Warcos. I was going to buy Myfords but the rep at the model show at Alexander palace was rude to me so I told him where to put it.

Last edited:

Wandering Star

Visit site
I’ve got an original tiller pin (without the thread & nuts) and an original socket for the tillerpilot swivel bit. If anyone wants either, PM me with your address.

mjcoon

www.mjcoon.plus.com
Warco 250MV, The mill is an M16, ( Both with DROs) so nothing special, but both purchased new.
I notice the post with a Drummond. I had a Drummond type M for 30 years which was surprisingly good. I had a decent Colchester for some years, but it was 3 phase so had to sell it when I moved in 2000. Hence the Warcos. I was going to buy Myfords but the rep at the model show at Alexander palace was rude to me so I told him where to put it.
I don't remember whether I got to use a Myford lathe at (technical) school or later as an engineering apprentice but I was impressed with it. Maybe this was just in comparison with great heavy turret lathes...